IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 05:39 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you looking for another pad option, I was speaking to a friend at Stoptech today and he said that they are a month or 2 away from releasing front brake pads forthe IS F. They will be released in 2 compounds, PosiQuiet Semi Metallics and the StopTech Performance. He also mentioned that they have rear pads available now. No pricing is available on the fronts yet.

I also asked about the possibility of them releasing a 2 piece rotor replacement for the IS F and he said that the only way that would happen is if Lexus asked them to offer such a product and then it would be released under the F Sport name since Stoptech private labels the BBK's for Lexus.
Old 12-29-09, 08:58 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ I made that call too a few months ago and got similar info.

They should just release a 2 piece rotor already... !!!

Afterall one of the owners there is rolling on a prototype Stoptech CCM Big Brake kit on his IS-F..
So they have all the specs.

There will never be F-Sport Branded parts for the IS-F.

So if they are going to make better pads, they should at least consider releasing replacement rotors as well..

The re-branded F-Sport parts they make are only for the GS & ISx50 models..

I tried to get Brembo to make a set of replacement pads & rotors to work with our OEM calipers, but they didn't see the benefits..
Since they are already selling their $$$$ Brembo GT BBK for the IS-F...

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-29-09 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:55 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ I made that call too a few months ago and got similar info.

They should just release a 2 piece rotor already... !!!

Afterall one of the owners there is rolling on a prototype Stoptech CCM Big Brake kit on his IS-F..
So they have all the specs.

There will never be F-Sport Branded parts for the IS-F.

So if they are going to make better pads, they should at least consider releasing replacement rotors as well..

The re-branded F-Sport parts they make are only for the GS & ISx50 models..

I tried to get Brembo to make a set of replacement pads & rotors to work with our OEM calipers, but they didn't see the benefits..
Since they are already selling their $$$$ Brembo GT BBK for the IS-F...

Joe Z
Yeah I agree with you Joe, but having worked for performance manufacturers I understand their position. Stoptech has a contract to supply BBK's to TRD & F Sport and having seen a Toyota supplier contract, I know they cannot make any parts that can or potentially will compete with the private label parts they are under contract to make. The other part of the equation is that they don't see where the sales are vs the time/expense to develop and offer the product.

As far as Brembo goes, they care very little about very much outside of racing and OE business, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that. A friend of mine was an engineer there and the guys in Italy never understood why the U.S market wanted to buy BBK's in the first place.......enter Stoptech.
Old 12-29-09, 10:56 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by N54MPower
Yeah I agree with you Joe, but having worked for performance manufacturers I understand their position. Stoptech has a contract to supply BBK's to TRD & F Sport and having seen a Toyota supplier contract, I know they cannot make any parts that can or potentially will compete with the private label parts they are under contract to make. The other part of the equation is that they don't see where the sales are vs the time/expense to develop and offer the product.

As far as Brembo goes, they care very little about very much outside of racing and OE business, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that. A friend of mine was an engineer there and the guys in Italy never understood why the U.S market wanted to buy BBK's in the first place.......enter Stoptech.
^This man speaks the truth.

Javier
Old 12-29-09, 01:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Yes, I agree with you too & completely understand the dynamics.

The thing is that there are ZERO Stoptech / F-Sport Big Brake parts that work or that are designed for the Lexus IS-F..

That's why I am saying if they (Stoptech) are going to make replacement brake pads available, which are in direct competition with the Lexus OEM Brembo Pads, their (in my mind) should be no issue offering a set of 2 piece Stoptech Rotors to go with those nice pads..

Our OEM Lexus Brembo rotors are "nice", but there is major room for improvement.. Same for the high friction dusty pads we have.

Companies in Japan have wasted no time making them..

Joe Z

Last edited by javyLSU; 12-29-09 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 04:31 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, let's get back to topic - DIY front brake pad swap for the IS-F.

Javier
Old 12-29-09, 04:48 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
- Clean up and have a beer or two with the money you just saved.
This is the most essential part to any DIY job, reveling in the fact that not only you did it yourself with pride, but that the money you saved can be spent/invested elsewhere!

Good write up cayman!
Old 01-06-10, 10:30 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I'm having any luck with my carbotech bobcat 1521's. I do agree that there is hardly any brake dust. I'm getting nothing but squeaks at slow stops. It has now been 400 miles after pad installation & rotor turning, anyone else seem to be having this problem?
Old 01-07-10, 02:20 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaEvilG
I don't think I'm having any luck with my carbotech bobcat 1521's. I do agree that there is hardly any brake dust. I'm getting nothing but squeaks at slow stops. It has now been 400 miles after pad installation & rotor turning, anyone else seem to be having this problem?
Sorry to hear about your issues. I've got about 1k miles on my Bobcat 1521's and have no squeaking noise whatsoever and only an occassional low speed growl when they are cold. You did apply a very liberal amount of anti squeal adhesive between the cleaned-up pads and the metal plates? Additionally, I didn't resurface my rotors as I only had a about 5k on the OEM brakes.
Old 04-05-10, 12:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by DaEvilG
Did you replace the rear pads too?
Old 04-05-10, 01:55 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Sorry to hear about your issues. I've got about 1k miles on my Bobcat 1521's and have no squeaking noise whatsoever and only an occassional low speed growl when they are cold. You did apply a very liberal amount of anti squeal adhesive between the cleaned-up pads and the metal plates? Additionally, I didn't resurface my rotors as I only had a about 5k on the OEM brakes.
I have the same question as Lobux...

Did you replace your Rear pads too?

Joe Z
Old 04-05-10, 02:12 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you replace the rear pads too?
Im having the same issue, except I dont use the bobcats I use Hawk Ceramic. Just replaced the front pads, and still have OEM front and rear rotors and rear pads.

Got squeaking at low speeds from the fronts...and crazy dust from the rear. Heres my rear wheel after washing today...

^Was easily wiped off...but I've never had that much brake dust.
Old 04-05-10, 05:29 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Im having the same issue, except I dont use the bobcats I use Hawk Ceramic. Just replaced the front pads, and still have OEM front and rear rotors and rear pads.

Got squeaking at low speeds from the fronts...and crazy dust from the rear. Heres my rear wheel after washing today...

^Was easily wiped off...but I've never had that much brake dust.
Hawk street pads get a lot of pad "build up" when used in stop ang go traffic which causes the squeaking you're hearing. A few hard stops from 60 will sweep the pad build up off the rotors and get rid of the noise until you have to do it again . I had the same issues with the Hawk pads on my Evo and my wife's TL. I'm not a fan of any of the Hawk street compounds, that's why I went with the Project Mu pads on the IS F.

It's also a good idea to run the same compounds front and rear to have balanced braking on the front and rear of the car.
Old 04-05-10, 05:54 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hawk street pads get a lot of pad "build up" when used in stop ang go traffic which causes the squeaking you're hearing. A few hard stops from 60 will sweep the pad build up off the rotors and get rid of the noise until you have to do it again . I had the same issues with the Hawk pads on my Evo and my wife's TL. I'm not a fan of any of the Hawk street compounds, that's why I went with the Project Mu pads on the IS F.

It's also a good idea to run the same compounds front and rear to have balanced braking on the front and rear of the car.
I went with Hawk because it seemed like one of the few options at the time for a replacement pad. NOW, there seem to be a few companies jumping the bandwagon and making new pads for the F.

Does hawk make a rear pad yet for the F??? If so im gonna replace my rears.
Old 04-06-10, 09:00 AM
JUGRNOT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put the Carbotech Bobcat pads on my ISF last Friday night. Way less dust but like above i'm getting the low speed squeaking. Driving me f-ing nuts right now. I've tried doing some stops from 60 like mentioned and it makes no difference. I'm thinking of putting the stock pads back on.
Jeff

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads