IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 10:34 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Let me preface this by saying I never use shims on any of my vehicles but I have always been taught to apply the anti-squeel between the shim and the backplate if you're going to use it. I don't think there is any "problem" with also putting on the backside of the shim that comes in contact with the pistons other than it making a little bit of a mess.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 05-31-16 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-31-16, 10:38 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The Anti-Squel goes sandwiched between the Backing Plate of Brake PADS and Shims..

Never on the outside of shim touching the Pistons.

Below is a textbook install photo.

Joe Z
Hi Joez, curious to know why you should never put AS on the outside of shim touching the pistons?
I had serious squealing at low speed braking coming from my rears. I took both my front and rear brakes apart, the front had AS between the shim and piston from Lexus(no squeal), and the rears had AS applied between the pad and shim from Lexus(tons of squeal). I wiped the AS off the rear pads, applied AS between the shim and piston, no more squeal on my end. AS from what I understand can be applied to any metal to metal contact point, not just on the shim but also around the pads where it sits in the caliper. From what I gather, there is tremendous amount of metal to metal vibration between the piston and shim because these two parts are not fused together, where as the shim is actually clipped on to the pad. Not sure why it would not be recommended to put AS between the piston and shim. And many ISF folks suffer from the low speed braking squeal, which to me is more likely due to not applying AS properly.
Old 05-31-16, 11:41 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Hi Joez, curious to know why you should never put AS on the outside of shim touching the pistons?
I had serious squealing at low speed braking coming from my rears. I took both my front and rear brakes apart, the front had AS between the shim and piston from Lexus(no squeal), and the rears had AS applied between the pad and shim from Lexus(tons of squeal). I wiped the AS off the rear pads, applied AS between the shim and piston, no more squeal on my end. AS from what I understand can be applied to any metal to metal contact point, not just on the shim but also around the pads where it sits in the caliper. From what I gather, there is tremendous amount of metal to metal vibration between the piston and shim because these two parts are not fused together, where as the shim is actually clipped on to the pad. Not sure why it would not be recommended to put AS between the piston and shim. And many ISF folks suffer from the low speed braking squeal, which to me is more likely due to not applying AS properly.

I can say I do not have any noise and it was applied to the piston and the inside of the shim(as should be).

The brakes were done at lexus 2 days before I purchased the vehicle. Front and rears.
Old 05-31-16, 09:21 PM
NoFsport
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed my front pads in March and just brushed the shims inside and outside with wire bristle brush, project mu pads are a winner! No squik or break dust. Gotta change the back to it looks dusty on the rears after a week after wash!
Old 06-01-16, 05:40 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This grease applying seems to be opposite as another post stating NOT to put it between the backing plate and shim. That it should only be applied to the contact part of the piston.

So confused.

I have always put it on both sides. Running Winmax W2. I had squeezing galore and tried regreasing in different ways. Eventually it came back.
Because I ran oem pads on the previous rotors I was told it has to be new rotors so I just bought a whole new set. Hopefully no squeeling.

Braking on W2 winmax are great though. The dust shows and builds over time but comes off easily vs oem.
Old 06-01-16, 06:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

The FSM = Factory Service Manual is pretty clear on this one...

The anti-squeal grease does not go on the outer part of the shim that touches the piston. Doesn't come from that factory like that on any Lexus.

However, please feel free to do as you please with your grease

Joe Z
Old 06-02-16, 01:03 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

lol Thanks for those shots Joe,

Any idea where I can find a link to all these service manuals you guys keep posting screen shots from?
Old 06-02-16, 11:21 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

My thoughts on where to put the anti-squeal grease.
The Lexus manual is correct, BUT obviously many owners here still suffer from squealing brakes. Just to reiterate, the squealing you hear is actually metal to metal vibration that resonates. And there are two places the squealing comes from; the contact area between the rotor and pad, OR the contact area between the piston and pad. The SHIM itself is to stop or reduce squealing, hence it's name "the anti-squeal shim" and the reason why it is there...which also backs up the fact that squealing comes from the piston and pad area. While the shim doesn't necessarily completely eliminate squealing, no grease between the shim and piston leaves it as bare metal to bare metal contact. Anti-squeal grease placed in key locations could help eliminate squealing entirely. Considering the pad itself moves freely and vibrates between the piston and rotor, I honestly think it makes sense to grease all in between if you have issues. The area between the shim and pad isn't necessarily free moving and vibrating constantly between one another because they are practically stuck together; so I don't see the real usefulness of placing grease between the back pad and shim versus the shim and piston. If you don't have squealing issues, don't do anything. If you have squealing issues, might as well try greasing in all contact places where metal meshes together. Not that difficult to try and the least expensive to all the other alternatives of going out thinking you need to buy new pads or rotors or paying to get your brakes checked.

The ISF isn't the only vehicle equipped with Brembo brakes that have squealing issues at low speed braking. Search the other car forums that have OEM brembos and you will read the same thing about where to place AS grease. In truth, there is no absolute 'correct way' of applying AS grease, as every brake shop will tell you differently and have their own methods and reasoning on where grease goes.
Old 06-02-16, 11:42 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Just to add.
Lexus Brake Grease (Part Number 90998-94072) is actually two small tubes of Brembos special grease. Not sure how many of you are actually using the appropriate grease.
Old 06-02-16, 06:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Just to add.
Lexus Brake Grease (Part Number 90998-94072) is actually two small tubes of Brembos special grease. Not sure how many of you are actually using the appropriate grease.
That is correct

Originally Posted by Joe Z
DIY - Full Rear Brake Service at 109k miles..

Rear rotors were just about done.. Lasted through a set of OEM pads partially and a set of Project Mu Type NS Pads with no wear indicators.

Special Thanks to Longo Lexus Parts Dept. & Mod in Japan Steven for their excellent customer service

OEM Rear Brembo Rotors
OEM Rear Shims
OEM Brembo Anti Squel
Project Mu Type NS400 Pads (now w/ wear indicators)

All the Brembo parts are "Made in Italy"

Make sure to install the wear indicators on the Outside Top Position. (Front & Rear)

Thanks to the Lexus IS F • FSM for the Brembo Brakes

Joe Z
Old 08-29-16, 10:07 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone know the best place to buy the OEM pads?
Old 09-22-16, 06:07 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Anyone ever deal with a clicking/knocking noise when applying the brakes? I have a feeling it may be the brake pads binding and then maybe snapping into position against the rotor. I can replicate it almost every time when in forward motion and quickly applying the brake pedal. But can't do it when idling parked hitting the pedal so makes diagnosis kind of a pain.

I am thinking maybe I need to re-grease the pads and moving components. I used Brembo copper grease I had from long ago when working on Volvo Brembo calipers but I am thinking maybe it's the pins.

Just a guess at this point but figured I see if anyone else has experienced this. Rather new development. Rotors and pads have been replaced in the last year. But I had everything apart months back when I painted the calipers.
Old 09-22-16, 10:05 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Anyone ever deal with a clicking/knocking noise when applying the brakes? I have a feeling it may be the brake pads binding and then maybe snapping into position against the rotor. I can replicate it almost every time when in forward motion and quickly applying the brake pedal. But can't do it when idling parked hitting the pedal so makes diagnosis kind of a pain.

I am thinking maybe I need to re-grease the pads and moving components. I used Brembo copper grease I had from long ago when working on Volvo Brembo calipers but I am thinking maybe it's the pins.

Just a guess at this point but figured I see if anyone else has experienced this. Rather new development. Rotors and pads have been replaced in the last year. But I had everything apart months back when I painted the calipers.
It's more than likely the pads moving forwards and backwards inside the calipers and if so thats not uncommon. You should be able to replicate it if you reverse and apply the brakes then move forward and apply the brakes. Pads are typically a millimeter or so too small in order to allow for thermal expansion when the car is driven aggressively. However when they are cold there is some wiggle room in the calipers and they can make some clicking noises. Hope that's all it is.

-Matt M.
Old 10-22-16, 03:31 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Update: it was the grease. I used the proper copper grease and the noise went away. Over time of washing my calipers the Volvo grease I used had broken down and was causing friction. The noise I heard was likely the small amount of bind prior to contacting the rotor.

Drive around the block and it's gone. I'll see how long this lasts but am glad it's at least what I anticipated and nothing really major.
Old 10-22-16, 06:02 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I have used CRC disc brake quite for years (mechanic) and never had a brake noise give it a go,it is not a grease its liquid rubber and sets semi hard on the back of the pads stopping vibration, google it cheers.

Last edited by isfvss; 10-22-16 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads