IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone who has got curb rash... got a cheap solution!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 05:54 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I just had all 4 wheels touched up from some curb rash that was on them when I bought the car a few months ago but then wasn't going to be in town for a few months for work so only finally got around to having it done. The color doesn't match an appears to look almost like the SGM color is what the wheel repair guy used. It has lots of metallic in it and is nothing like the factory wheel color. The Lexus dealer is being great about it though and they are going to have the guy come back and try to find a better match for the color.

I was hoping to come on here and be able to find the paint color but I guess no one knows yet which kinda sucks.
Old 11-23-10, 10:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Through trial & error, I have found that Toyota Paint Code 1E3 (Phantom Grey) seems to be pretty close. I have a Dupli-Color brush touch-up tube that I have used to repair a slight rock chip and a couple of slight dings caused by the tire installers.

Lou
Old 11-24-10, 02:22 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using Turtle Wax black Duplicolor wax on a small place on my stock 2010 rim. I just dab a little on with my finger or a Q-tip and smear it to cover the scratch. It dries a gray color that matches the rims pretty close. You'll never notice it unless you get right up on the rim and look for it. Of course, you have to do this every time you wash it, but it will get you by.
Old 11-28-10, 07:04 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

The fix I have from afar looks pretty good its only looks different in super direct light in which you see the metallic aspect of the paint.
Old 03-02-11, 11:09 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Ok so my wheel color isn't perfect and it is has still been bothering me. I think I found the reason why we can't match the color with anything perfect because it isn't single stage paint color.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...finishing.html

part way down this page this company talks about having refinished IS-F wheels this way that match.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...nishing-6.html
Old 03-03-11, 08:40 PM
jessepesc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great wish you posted the before picture to see the damage you corrected...but it's looks like nothing was ever damaged so I guess that's all that matters..good job!
Old 05-04-11, 03:16 PM
dodo121
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the 2010 wheel color the same as the 2008? I want to buy some of the CS3 paint color and cover some chips...
Old 09-26-13, 08:56 AM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WReuroR
The fix I have from afar looks pretty good its only looks different in super direct light in which you see the metallic aspect of the paint.
This is the problem I'm having with my car. I had the right side wheels repainted by the dealership - who outsource to a random shop. Not expecting a 100% match, I noticed they were slightly darker in the shade of gray but was overall really happy with the job they did.

And then one night I randomly decided to shine an LED light directly on my wheel while standing in the dark... aaaannnd.... WHAT THE F*%K!! There was an explosion of metallic sparkle coming off the repainted wheels. This metallic sparkle is not present in the OEM wheel in any form what-so-ever that I can observe.

So there appears to be some erroneous information floating around about using 11GY38, 39; perhaps this is the correct shade of grey, but there obviously shouldn't be a metallic presence. It's definitely a flat gray and doing some research tells me the correct color to be using is the phantom gray pearl 1E3 for touch-up only and that you need to do a three stage paint process of black/chrome shadow silver/clear coat if you want to accurately repaint the whole wheel to match OEM.

Anyone who has yet to scratch their wheels should take extra care to keep them perfect because repainting them correctly will be a crapshoot. I have my car at the dealer right now trying to get this fixed and I don't think I'll have any luck - not after what I've learned. I'm requesting that they either repaint to get all the metallic sparkle out or paint the untouched side to match. Either way, my OEM wheels aren't perfectly OEM anymore and that sucks.

Last edited by Roffles; 09-26-13 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 06:14 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just have them resprayed as 1e3 and you'll never know the difference. I just had my aftermarket wheels redone with 1e3 and now I have a bottle of touch up to match down the road. The turned out great, very close to the oem color IMO.