IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Gt-R or Is-F?

Old 01-01-09, 11:24 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gt-R or Is-F?

which car would you rather have and why? i was kinda thinking of maybe getting a Gt-R! but wanted more info to go off of !

hopefully lobuxracer sees this wanna know his take on that cars performance and quality!
Old 01-01-09, 11:52 AM
wiredGS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFLORES
which car would you rather have and why? i was kinda thinking of maybe getting a Gt-R! but wanted more info to go off of !

hopefully lobuxracer sees this wanna know his take on that cars performance and quality!
GT-R, by far. I love my IS-F, but a friend of mine for a GT-R. One drive and I was hooked. That thing is not only sick, but it is SICK.

HOWEVER, if getting stared at all the time, getting thumbs up constantly, having people snap pictures of you, when in the car bothers you, then get an F.

Michael
Old 01-01-09, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Simple. IS-F offers Lexus luxury and a nice throaty V-8. The GT-R is for all out performance. What you "prefer" depends on priorities. I am sure most here that bought a IS-F could have gotten a GT-R.
Old 01-01-09, 12:06 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Your kidding right? I have both in the drive way now and in no way can you compare the two. GTR is a monster and can be upgraded to be even more of a monster unlike the ISF. Some quick things if you must compare them is that the cabin of the GTR is much louder than the ISF. You hear the gears change, you hear the flywheel, ride is stiffer. ISF wins hands down as far as stereo and comfortable ride. Gadgets in the GTR are pretty cool are far as the display with all the parameters(boost,tq split etc..) GTR really is race car compared to the ISF to me. Both can be driven daily although the GTR will cost more to maintain than the ISF. GTR handles,accelerates,brakes better and the cabin is pretty comfortable. For 900 bucks you can add a Cobb AP that will give you 30-50 whp and for another 600-800 you can add a mid-pipe that will give you 15-25whp. I am sure there are quicker cars out there but the GTR is the fastest stock car I have ever driven and the power and tq is in the lower rpm range. No turbo lag at all.

Hands down the GTR would be my choice over the ISF. It is a very fun car to drive. All it takes is to stomp it from a stop to feel the awesome grip and power off the line and you will be hooked

If you are serious about getting one you had better do it now before all of the original MSRP cars are gone. It could save you 10k-15k as 09 price increase cars are already out and 2010s(another price increase) are starting to be built in Jan-Feb.

Now the number 1 question that is on everyones mind is the transmission. To me its not a issue because I dont use the LC.

Originally Posted by DFLORES

Old 01-01-09, 12:15 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wiredGS400
(...)HOWEVER, if getting stared at all the time, getting thumbs up constantly, having people snap pictures of you, when in the car bothers you, then get an F.(...)
100% agree, that, and how shady and unprofessional the Nissan dealers I had dealt with when I tried to get one. They did take my deposit money, but never give me a delivery date or even a price, only to call me few months later saying that they had one for me but at a crazy markup, no negotiation possible, high pressure sale, very shady. I called my bank in front of them, cancel my check and walked away.

Most Nissan dealers have no idea how to deal with $80k+ customers.

I guess that with the economy down, the dealers have revised their behavior, but now trannies are blowing up left and right, so I very happy with my low key IS-F !
Old 01-01-09, 12:19 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Like everyone said, it'd going to depend on what your looking for. Are you looking for ***** to the walls performance or luxury with a little kick? The GTR, like said, is all out performance while the F has some but maintains the luxury aspect of being, well, a Lexus. Would you give up your F for the GTR or would you keep them both?

I'm personally going to wait a few years, enjoy the F, and then consider the 2010 GTR Spec-V
Old 01-01-09, 12:50 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

I agree with the dealers alot of them thought they had gold pouring in with GTR customers.

I dont agree with trannies blowing up left and right and it is just not true. There have been trans lost but not probably less than 6 cars and most of those were repeated use of the LC. This is the problem with internet. Just recently some hit a 10.5 on a stock trans GTR. We all expected it to blow along time ago with it finally doing so

Originally Posted by timeToy
100% agree, that, and how shady and unprofessional the Nissan dealers I had dealt with when I tried to get one. They did take my deposit money, but never give me a delivery date or even a price, only to call me few months later saying that they had one for me but at a crazy markup, no negotiation possible, high pressure sale, very shady. I called my bank in front of them, cancel my check and walked away.

Most Nissan dealers have no idea how to deal with $80k+ customers.

I guess that with the economy down, the dealers have revised their behavior, but now trannies are blowing up left and right, so I very happy with my low key IS-F !
Old 01-01-09, 12:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

If you want to drive the GTR is it's full potential and use Launch Control, be prepared to break your transmission and pay a $20K repair because it's not covered by the warranty. Nissan plans to disable the feature for 2010.

Lou
Old 01-01-09, 01:15 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Considering the GTR is being compared to supercars, I don't think that you can compare it to an ISF. And with all the disappointments regarding the transmissions and warranties I wouldn't touch one of those with a ten foot stick. I think it is still a very impressive car, but I think I'd get a Z06 before I got a GTR. There are horror stories all over the web about the tranny and LC issues that Nissan is turning a blind eye to. Kind of scary.
Old 01-01-09, 01:20 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If money is no object, then GT-R.
Old 01-01-09, 01:44 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

To drive a GTR at its full potential doesnt envolve using LC or even turning off the Traction Control. LC is just 1 feature which really should not have been put on the car but alas it was to get 3.3 0-60 times instead of 3.8 maybe without it. There are many GTRs that are still hitting 11.6-11.8 1/4s without using LC and have not busted a trans. Launching a car is probably the most brutal part of driving it with all the stress in the Drivetrain. I am sure if the ISF had LC problems would arise from it also. Dumping a clutch at 4500rpm with AWD is going to break something sooner or later. Question is should Nissan or the owner be at fault for it? I dont think Toyota would cover my ISF if something broke while racing it either but if Nissan put the feature in there people are going to use it and Nissan should cover it. Problem is none of the testers, magazines broke a trans. Only until it got into owners hands did this happen course.

I dont agree with Nissan being chicken on the LC trans issue either but that will probably be settled in court. I didnt buy a GTR strictly to launch it everytime i get in it.

Most stories that have been floating around on the net dont tell the full story. Just an owner complaining about the trans. One I know of is that the guy used the LC before the car was broken in more than 20+ times and most back to back without allowing for a cool down. This is how most I have seen go well within 1500miles.

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
If you want to drive the GTR is it's full potential and use Launch Control, be prepared to break your transmission and pay a $20K repair because it's not covered by the warranty. Nissan plans to disable the feature for 2010.

Lou
Old 01-01-09, 02:31 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the GT-R. The IS-F suspension is too stiff.

but if I had enough I'd buy both :P
Old 01-01-09, 02:43 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by kickhard
Your kidding right? I have both in the drive way now and in no way can you compare the two. GTR is a monster and can be upgraded to be even more of a monster unlike the ISF. Some quick things if you must compare them is that the cabin of the GTR is much louder than the ISF. You hear the gears change, you hear the flywheel, ride is stiffer. ISF wins hands down as far as stereo and comfortable ride. Gadgets in the GTR are pretty cool are far as the display with all the parameters(boost,tq split etc..) GTR really is race car compared to the ISF to me. Both can be driven daily although the GTR will cost more to maintain than the ISF. GTR handles,accelerates,brakes better and the cabin is pretty comfortable. For 900 bucks you can add a Cobb AP that will give you 30-50 whp and for another 600-800 you can add a mid-pipe that will give you 15-25whp. I am sure there are quicker cars out there but the GTR is the fastest stock car I have ever driven and the power and tq is in the lower rpm range. No turbo lag at all.

Hands down the GTR would be my choice over the ISF. It is a very fun car to drive. All it takes is to stomp it from a stop to feel the awesome grip and power off the line and you will be hooked

If you are serious about getting one you had better do it now before all of the original MSRP cars are gone. It could save you 10k-15k as 09 price increase cars are already out and 2010s(another price increase) are starting to be built in Jan-Feb.

Now the number 1 question that is on everyones mind is the transmission. To me its not a issue because I dont use the LC.
I originally wanted to wait for the spec-v 2010 so i do have time but just wondering how the others likfe theres.
Old 01-01-09, 02:46 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Like everyone said, it'd going to depend on what your looking for. Are you looking for ***** to the walls performance or luxury with a little kick? The GTR, like said, is all out performance while the F has some but maintains the luxury aspect of being, well, a Lexus. Would you give up your F for the GTR or would you keep them both?

I'm personally going to wait a few years, enjoy the F, and then consider the 2010 GTR Spec-V
my company car may be going away but they said they would give me an alowance so i was maybe gonna us the Is-F as my daily and the Gt-r spec-V as a fun car or maybe i might get a 2008 z06 my buddy has one that is 550 to the wheels just with intake tune and exhaust. oh and cam!
Old 01-01-09, 02:47 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna say GT-R all the way. I'll let you all know when I get one (I hope I get one)!

Happy New Year!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gt-R or Is-F?