IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 05:26 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

I'm speaking with a rep from MHP who owns a new C63, and says he can work the IS-F ecu:

"We can do the same things we do to 63 AMGs with your ECU/TCUs. Alter A/F, timing tables, reduce or eliminate ECU and TCU torque management = quicker/firmer shifts, eliminate in gear TM, almost completely eliminate adaptive learning, increase line pressure, heighten throttle response, revise part throttle tables, raise stall speed, raise shift points, rev limiter, remove top speed limiter, etc."

Keep you posted!
Old 11-23-08, 05:53 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Oh......this guys C63 is running 11.5's all day! Look at that trap speed.....freaking insane!

Last edited by 8speed; 11-23-08 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 08:07 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The single biggest improvement will be in raising the stall RPM. That alone will allow us to go from 1.9-2.0 60' times down to 1.6-1.7 60' times which will cut our ET by .5 to .6 seconds!!! Raising the RPM limit by maybe 500 rpm will allow us to keep us in a slightly higher power band. The A/F will also give maybe 1 or 2 more MPH trap speed. However, the A/F ratio is set from the dealership to prevent us from destroying our engine (safety). In addition, having a high stall RPM would reduce fuel efficiency and affect low speed driving (1st gear). Also, raising the RPM to a certain point could also end up destroying the engine.

So, the question becomes, do I mod my car so I can be a tick faster on the drag strip but worse as a DD which is what it is 99% of the time? I won't - however, if they could do a piggyback type tune with a remote switch to activate certain aspects, it would be pretty neat:

ie: Have 1 button lean out our engine so I wouldn't use it when driving fast, but let's say you're taking a long distance trip and just cruising - what an ideal time to hit button 1!

Button 2 could be a variable stall thing. Turn the **** and the stall RPM goes higher and higher. You'd obviously want to use the higher setting if you have DR or awesome traction and leave it at zero if you're already spinning out.

Button 3 could be max RPM. If you REALLY have to beat the C63 or M3 on that highway run, activate button 3 to give you more RPM to keep you going a little faster - but you gotta be careful of this one. 1000+ more RPM and you might just blow the engine. I already see 7000 rpm all the time at the dragstrip (even though it's supposed to be only 6800 rpm?)
Old 11-23-08, 08:12 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Very good points bro, but don't you think (like the AMG motor) the 2UR-GSE engine in the IS-F is "de-tuned" from the factory and has a lot of power untapped?

You're right, piggyback setup would be ideal with a couple different settings:

1.Fast
2.Faster
3.warranty buster
Old 11-24-08, 05:56 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 8speed for starting this thread.

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
The single biggest improvement will be in raising the stall RPM. That alone will allow us to go from 1.9-2.0 60' times down to 1.6-1.7 60' times which will cut our ET by .5 to .6 seconds!!! Raising the RPM limit by maybe 500 rpm will allow us to keep us in a slightly higher power band. The A/F will also give maybe 1 or 2 more MPH trap speed. However, the A/F ratio is set from the dealership to prevent us from destroying our engine (safety). In addition, having a high stall RPM would reduce fuel efficiency and affect low speed driving (1st gear). Also, raising the RPM to a certain point could also end up destroying the engine.
Improvements will come from all the areas we address in the driveline, primarily ECU/TCU launch/shift/in gear torque management, line pressure, stall speed, timing, A/F, altered shift points.
We have never lost a motor due to our tuning and don't plan on it anytime soon. You won't gain 2mph in trap speed from altered A/F, but it's possible with modified timing tables that are still safe. We only raise stall speed by 100-300rpm so you're not going to experience any drivability issues whatsoever nor will it affect 1st gear at all.
With ECU/TCU tuning you will experience quicker/firmer shifts (up and downshifts), consistant shift points, raised (to a safe limit) shift points, heightened throttle response and modified part throttle tables not just WOT. Basically your car will feel and drive completely different than it does now. ECU/TCU gains are greater than intake/exhaust put together no question.

So, the question becomes, do I mod my car so I can be a tick faster on the drag strip but worse as a DD which is what it is 99% of the time? I won't - however, if they could do a piggyback type tune with a remote switch to activate certain aspects, it would be pretty neat:
In no way shape or form do we sacrifice daily drivability for performance increases. My C63 is a daily driver, as are 90% of our clients cars, we have never had a single complaint about drivability, ever. We have tuned all makes of Mercedes, Bentleys (including Jay Leno's W12), Ford GT/GT500s, Jags, BMWs and even Paul Newman's (RIP) Porsche GT3 cup cars. Our own C63 just ran 11.59@119.75 with our ECU/TCU Tuning and our CF AirBoxes on 18" DRs.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-24-08 at 08:36 PM. Reason: promotion removed
Old 11-24-08, 06:20 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm interested in hearing more and I think you'd be surprised at the aftermarket for the IS-F and the IS350. I think it's a segment overlooked by many.

EDIT: $4500!!!!!!!!!!!??? I think getting an exhaust for 20whp gains would be the wiser choice for us IS-F owners.
Old 11-24-08, 06:46 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

I just don't think there is going to be a strong enough market for this upgrade. After all like you mentioned before, exhaust upgrade is a much better, safer, cheaper way to get gains and still keep warranty intact. Last time i checked, nobody is contacting lexus becasue they blew their motor over an exhaust upgrade!
Old 11-24-08, 06:50 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
I'm interested in hearing more and I think you'd be surprised at the aftermarket for the IS-F and the IS350. I think it's a segment overlooked by many.

EDIT: $4500!!!!!!!!!!!??? I think getting an exhaust for 20whp gains would be the wiser choice for us IS-F owners.
An exhaust will gain you nowhere near the same numbers at the track nor will it change your shifting whatsoever.

Our tuning is 100% custom, we do not copy and paste tables.

I'll put an ECU/TCU only (by us) IS-F against and intake and exhaust IS-F all day long. Any takers?
Old 11-24-08, 06:53 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
I just don't think there is going to be a strong enough market for this upgrade. After all like you mentioned before, exhaust upgrade is a much better, safer, cheaper way to get gains and still keep warranty intact. Last time i checked, nobody is contacting lexus becasue they blew their motor over an exhaust upgrade!
Safer? No one's ever blown a motor with our tuning either. Inferring otherwise is flat out wrong.

Intake and exhaust all you want but you'll never run as quick or fast as you will with just ECU/TCU tuning.

If you're game find a intake/exhaust IS-F and a stocker in the same area. We'll tune the stocker and they can run. If the ECU/TCU only car doesn't win said owner will be reimbursed for the tune in full. We have a 100% money back guarantee on all our tuning for a reason.
Old 11-24-08, 06:56 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MHP
An exhaust will gain you nowhere near the same numbers at the track nor will it change your shifting whatsoever.

Our tuning is 100% custom, we do not copy and paste tables.

I'll put an ECU/TCU only (by us) IS-F against and intake and exhaust IS-F all day long. Any takers?
The shifting is already blistering fast and I doubt you'll find any takers for $4500 when this would obviously void all drive train warranty.

Also without this thread turning into a non CL approved vendor thread, lets remind everyone to keep this informational only.
Old 11-24-08, 06:56 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
That does sound high.......my ECUTEK reflash for my STI was only 500 and that included dyno and labor.
That's an ECU only canned flash for a STI, not even comparable to a true custom ECU and TCU tune. We are the only ones in the world doing TCU on MB 7As, Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc. If it were easy or anything but time consuming everyone would be doing it.
Old 11-24-08, 06:58 PM
MHP
Pole Position

The shifting is already blistering fast and I doubt you'll find any takers for $4500 when this would obviously void all drive train warranty.
LOL, not so much on the shifting. I've driven an IS-F and it's not even close to blisteringly fast. We can improve on BMWs SMG and MBs MCT which shift inifinitely faster than your 8As.
Dealers can't see the changes we make to the code as we don't pry chips off boards and resolder them.
Dealer's can also void warranty's for exhausts that gain 20rw, they'll simply claim the trans/converter wasn't designed to handle the extra power end of story.
If there's no market here no big deal. We'll stick to the Euro stuff.

Thanks

Last edited by MHP; 11-24-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 07:01 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MHP
LOL, not so much on the shifting. I've driven an IS-F and it's not even close to blisteringly fast. We can improve on BMWs SMG and MBs MCT which shift inifinitely faster than your 8As.
Dealers can't see the changes we make to the code as we don't pry chips off boards and resolder them.

Thanks
Did you try the shifting capability of the IS-F in manual mode with sport setting turned on? It shifts almost violently and depending on the road surface and temps a 1 to 2 shift will throw the rear wheels into a full blown wheel spin. If the car is not in ECT-PWR mode and put in manual mode, the torque converter does not lock up and you will get much slower shifts which I think is what you experienced.
Old 11-24-08, 08:03 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Did you try the shifting capability of the IS-F in manual mode with sport setting turned on? It shifts almost violently and depending on the road surface and temps a 1 to 2 shift will throw the rear wheels into a full blown wheel spin. If the car is not in ECT-PWR mode and put in manual mode, the torque converter does not lock up and you will get much slower shifts which I think is what you experienced.
Yes my friend that owns the car made sure I tried it in all modes. Honestly the shifts aren't bad but they're not like a tuned SMG or MCT--Our M5/M6 cal allows the car to spin the 2-3 quite easily. We allow for custom levels of shift firmness with our TCU tuning. 1-10, 2-3 being stock. At 10 we can get the tires to chirp at 3000rpm during a part throttle shift.

Most of our custpmers seem to find 8 a good balance of performance at WOT and smoothness at part throttle.

Thanks
Old 11-24-08, 08:11 PM
zakizaki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MHP
I've driven an IS-F and it's not even close to blisteringly fast. We can improve on BMWs SMG and MBs MCT which shift inifinitely faster than your 8As.
Dear sir, you are misinformed.

The IS-F transmissioin utilizing direct shift, in the Manual mode shifts at 100milliseconds = 0.1 seconds; this is blisteringly fast.

For the SMG transmission of BMW:
When shifting in S4 at 2500 rpm it takes 0.36 seconds to make the change, at 6000 rpm it takes 0.21 seconds, and by 8000 rpm, it takes 0.135 seconds.
The speed vary from D1 at 2500 rpm which is the slowest change at 0.60 seconds, to the fastest, S6 at 0.065 seconds;

Therefore the SMG at it very fastest, shifts only 0.035 secs quicker and only when the S6 is being utilized; everything else is slower than the every day M shift of the IS-F

The much famed Mercedes MCT transmission at it fastest, in Manual mode, shifts at 100 milliseconds which is 0.1 seconds; EXACTLY the same speed as the IS-F.

-----------------
I will therefore tell you that your statement about these euro transmissions shifting "infinitely faster than" our 8A is totally and categorically wrong.

I would not entrust my IS-F to someone who does not have the true facts about something that he proposes to improve upon.

Perhaps you can do the Merc and BMW crowd a real favor and find some way to improve upon their pitiful reliability issues. Now that would be a service they would benefit from and appreciate.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)