IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 08:21 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of now no real gain from the MHP tune on my ISF. Rev limiter hasn't been raised, nor has speed limiter been raised. Peter (houstonT) and I have both added the Joe Z exhaust and intake tube. We have both dyno'd on the same DynaJet dyno at ARD here in Houston. As it now stands we both show approximately 380 rwhp.

At the TX2K9 event at Lone Star Drag Strip Peter ran a 12.52 and I ran a 12.68. I believe that he had new PS2s and I was still on my old Bridgstones. I believe his top speed was about 113 mph while mine was near 115 mph. This all leads me to believe that there is no significant HP difference between the two cars; therefore, no gain from the MHP tune at this time.

I will keep you posted on any further developments.

Pat
Old 04-14-09, 12:21 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true at all....look at the MHP results from other manufacturers, 30-35 rwhp easily attainable.
Peter

Originally Posted by 8speed
You will almost never see 40-50 hp gain on a non-aspirated car from a tune alone. 20 hp is awesome given that the 2UR-GSE engine doesn't have much left to give in the way of power.
Old 04-23-09, 10:46 AM
BLOWZILLA
Rookie

Originally Posted by FPR1939
As of now no real gain from the MHP tune on my ISF. Rev limiter hasn't been raised, nor has speed limiter been raised. Peter (houstonT) and I have both added the Joe Z exhaust and intake tube. We have both dyno'd on the same DynaJet dyno at ARD here in Houston. As it now stands we both show approximately 380 rwhp.

At the TX2K9 event at Lone Star Drag Strip Peter ran a 12.52 and I ran a 12.68. I believe that he had new PS2s and I was still on my old Bridgstones. I believe his top speed was about 113 mph while mine was near 115 mph. This all leads me to believe that there is no significant HP difference between the two cars; therefore, no gain from the MHP tune at this time.

I will keep you posted on any further developments.

Pat

FPR1939, any updates??
Old 04-23-09, 10:50 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by houstonT
Not true at all....look at the MHP results from other manufacturers, 30-35 rwhp easily attainable.
Peter

AMG cars are a different animal all together........they are consertively tuned from the factory. I mean, who in their right mind would shove a 6.3 liter V8 in a C class? You can't compare those cars with other non-aspirated vehicles. I had a Revo tuned b7 S4 and I gained a whopping 7 awhp

Last edited by 8speed; 04-23-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-23-09, 12:25 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Blowzilla,

I will post the current status later this weekend. The answer is not pleasant.

Pat
Old 04-23-09, 12:32 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blowzilla,

Pat

Pat it doens't sound too good....
Old 04-23-09, 12:48 PM
BLOWZILLA
Rookie

Blowzilla,

Pat
thanks for the reply. it hope it gets better...
Old 04-23-09, 12:48 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Blowzilla,

Pat
Hope its just a minor issue. Good Luck if its not. Keep us posted when you can.
Old 04-23-09, 01:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8speed
Because it's true
Based on? I don't quite get what you are trying to say; that the 2UR does not respond well to mods, or AS IS it can't produce much more power?
Old 04-23-09, 01:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Blowzilla,

Pat
Pat sorry to hear this. Please do keep us informed.
Old 04-23-09, 02:36 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Let us know how it goes?
Old 04-23-09, 02:41 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Agreed. I'd be more than overjoyed if this whole thing works out, but I have a lot of doubts. More props to MHP if it is legit. Double if they don't have a Toyota ECU engineer or someone who has access to such info on the payroll.

Originally Posted by MHP
We haven't decided on final pricing yet for Tundra's, I just threw that out there.

You can't compare a N/A tune to a FI tune. We can make 800rwtq with just ECU/TCU tuning from a 600/5.5L TT MB V12, or 900rwtq from a AMG65/6.0L TT V12. Gains with the 3.0L TT BMW inline 6 are also huge by comparison.

We estimate a 20-30rwhp gain with our ECU/TCU tuning on a IS-F. Again though it's not just about peak gains, area under the curve, eliminated tq management, shift quickness, raised shift points, raised stall speed, etc will all help your cars become quicker/faster and more enjoyable in day to day driving than with a run of the mill ECU only tune.

Originally Posted by combfilter
MHP yes very true you cant compare NA vs FI. I agree. I was just throwing some numbers around.

there is no doubt you will get some buyers. You are dealing with a market in that 55-65k range. they will have 4500 to try to squeeze another 20-30 out. If they were concerned about having the fastest car possible in that price range they would have bought a vette.

Originally Posted by MHP
We only need Juan's controllers back for a day to get it where we want it. Realistically there's not a ton left in that specific tune. The gains closely compare to what we usually see from an otherwise stock E92 M3 on 93.

Though we are going to lean it out up top, we're not going to take anyone's car (unless they request it, and sign a liability waiver/disclaimer) to 13.0:1 A/F simply because one bad tank of gas or cold front could end the motor in an instant.

We all want max power but unless it's specifically requested of us for a race app, etc., we never sacrifice durability/longevity/safety for every last horse.

Originally Posted by MHP
The OEM tune isn't as aggressive above 5200rpm as it is below, basically there's just more to be had up top--the factory just doesn't squeeze it as hard. It should be noted that there are gains across the board--even though they aren't as large as the ones up top--setting smoothing at 5 (and going over the raw data rpm by rpm) was the key to seeing them clearly.
There's only so much you can do with 5.0L of displacement N/A in the low/midrange. Again we'll refine Juan's tune and be ready to go with the initial GP in the next 2 weeks. What we get out of it at that point will be all there is in a safe tune.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Based on? I don't quite get what you are trying to say; that the 2UR does not respond well to mods, or AS IS it can't produce much more power?
Hope this helps!
Old 04-23-09, 03:28 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

MHP, where are you? How can you explain a tune that resulted in NO gain to the customer? Hello? Pat dyno'ed slightly LESS than me...we both had the exhaust/intake and he had the tune. Also, we trapped almost identical at the drag strip. What happened?
Peter
Old 04-23-09, 04:19 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by houstonT
MHP, where are you? How can you explain a tune that resulted in NO gain to the customer? Hello? Pat dyno'ed slightly LESS than me...we both had the exhaust/intake and he had the tune. Also, we trapped almost identical at the drag strip. What happened?
Peter
I don't know didn't Juanaca show gains?
Old 04-23-09, 07:00 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

MHP seems MIA... I think he might be able to get a better tune when he makes some Long Tube headers....

8Speed is right... it seems the car is mostly tuned to its max... There's room for gain... but seems minimal..

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)