Driver-side lean like he ISx50?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 06:33 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver-side lean like he ISx50?

Hey everyone,
I was just curious to see if the IS-F also leaned a little bit to the drivers side with no1 seated in it. Apparently (never checked myself but am taking alottt of other peoples word for it) the ISx50 is 1/4 inch lower on the drivers side, and lexus was unaware of it. Im interested to see if the IS-F has it, if it was addressed and fixed, or it if just doesnt lean at all

thanks
Old 12-22-08, 07:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The gap on my IS F is equal. The lean is a common characteristic with all Toyota/Lexus models. My previous 04 IS300 had this issue as well as my previous 07 GS350.

If you are to get F-Sport springs for your 2IS, they were designed with that lean in mind, so both front springs are equal in height as are the rears.
Old 12-23-08, 07:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you lower the car you will have the lean unless you get coilovers and adjust to allow the car to sit dead lever from side to side. Doesnt matter if you have the F-Sport springs or any other springs that are out there your car will sit lower on the driver side. F-Sport springs are not side specific so they wont cure the common lean in these cars. They are the same springs so you will lean! You just have less of a chance with the F-Sport (or other springs that are more conservative) rubbing with an aggressive offset.

If you are really worried about this then get coilovers and you wont have this issue!
Old 12-23-08, 08:33 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

well its not that i'm worrried, more just curious. i recalled reading in the ISx50 forums that when one of our members got a sit-down with an important lexus/toyota official (forget the details on who it was and such) and they asked about it, lexus responded that it was unaware of the 1/4 inch and would look into it, so i wasnt sure if it had been addressed in their production and design in the IS-F, or at stock suspension, if it still leans. does it lean stock?
Old 12-23-08, 08:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

My 350 did not lean stock, and my F does not lean stock.
Old 12-23-08, 11:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by passnu2
when you lower the car you will have the lean unless you get coilovers and adjust to allow the car to sit dead lever from side to side. Doesnt matter if you have the F-Sport springs or any other springs that are out there your car will sit lower on the driver side. F-Sport springs are not side specific so they wont cure the common lean in these cars. They are the same springs so you will lean! You just have less of a chance with the F-Sport (or other springs that are more conservative) rubbing with an aggressive offset.

If you are really worried about this then get coilovers and you wont have this issue!
The lean is there even at stock height, it's more apparent when it's lowered. The F-Sport springs were designed with the lean in mind so they have an equal drop. I have already confirmed this with the F-Sport product manager at TRD USA. The 2 F Sport IS250's 6MT I borrowed from Lexus HQ, had equal gaps. I had them for about a week each, one of them I drove to NorCal for EOS v.7 this past Sept. I should have taken measurements with a tape measure to show it.
Old 12-23-08, 11:10 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My 350 did not lean stock, and my F does not lean stock.
Hmmm. My friend's stock 07 IS250 RWD does and so did my previous 07 GS350. Thankfully my 09 IS F doesnt.
Old 12-24-08, 10:28 AM
dana_daen
Driver

My IS350 had a lean, they brought in an egineer from Lexus to take measurements etc. They did say that there's some gas pouches on that side so it would be slightly lower depending on the amount of fuel in the car. So at the end of it all (months etc) they brought an engineer to sit down and speak with me directly, by that point I was just so fed up, I just said forget it!
Old 12-24-08, 10:29 AM
dana_daen
Driver

I'm pretty sure also I posted some information on this as it was taking place..back in 2006.
Old 12-24-08, 11:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by dana_daen
My IS350 had a lean, they brought in an egineer from Lexus to take measurements etc. They did say that there's some gas pouches on that side so it would be slightly lower depending on the amount of fuel in the car. So at the end of it all (months etc) they brought an engineer to sit down and speak with me directly, by that point I was just so fed up, I just said forget it!
That's funny!!!

Side note: I keep my Tank Full so it looks like my car is lowered...

Joe Z
Old 12-24-08, 03:03 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The only reason my car leans is because I ride dirty
Old 12-24-08, 07:17 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

lol so no plain simple yes or no? it seems its depending on each individual car, lobux's 350 didnt lean but nearly everyone elses did, i know my 250 leans.. someone yes or no, does the stock IS-F lean???? i dont care about fixing it with suspension, i dont own an F. i just wonder if toyota/lexus took the time to acknowledge and address this lean issue after it was announced to them by one of our members.
Flipside is the only one who's come close to giving an actual answer, stating that his leans.. and i've seen aloto f his posts around here and trust him buttt then lobux says his doesnt.. and same situation with him, both very car savy so please, yes or no. does the IS-F lean to the driver side? or does this depend on each individual vehicle (which.. i dont think is possible.. these cars are made on an assembly line afterall)
Old 12-24-08, 08:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My IS350 leaned and my GS430 leans. I disagree with flipside909 as the springs are not specific to the location they go so it doesnt matter what size they are or what they are telling anyone they did to make this correct the situation. I doubt the ISF doesnt lean. I bet if flipside909 dropped it with some springs it would show how the car leans. I measured the IS350 after I put it back to stock and it measured level from the ground?? So I am going to say that no one here has a car that doesnt lean and according to lubuxracer from the past you cant measure the car when its sitting (there are many posts in the 2IS section in regards to that and his posts on the correct way to measure this). Ironically I only have issues on the drivers side of the GS just like I did in the IS I havent seen anyone mod their ISF yet *cough* Mr. Johnson (lol) so we can see if this is the case. We have one local member with the F-Sport full suspension set up. Come spring I will compare his car to another IS lowered on springs so we can see what they actually show

So are you in the market to trade the IS for the ISF Just do it and get coils so you have the perfect drop
Old 12-24-08, 08:25 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

unfortunately i'm not in the market just yet, but am hoping to be somewhat soon, although it will most likely be a slightly used one rather than new... money is quite tight, but that F is one of my top priorties (although i guess a car shouldnt come first in life =p, but in mine it does) hense my trolling around the F forum =p
Old 12-24-08, 10:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by passnu2
My IS350 leaned and my GS430 leans. I disagree with flipside909 as the springs are not specific to the location they go so it doesnt matter what size they are or what they are telling anyone they did to make this correct the situation. I doubt the ISF doesnt lean. I bet if flipside909 dropped it with some springs it would show how the car leans. I measured the IS350 after I put it back to stock and it measured level from the ground?? So I am going to say that no one here has a car that doesnt lean and according to lubuxracer from the past you cant measure the car when its sitting (there are many posts in the 2IS section in regards to that and his posts on the correct way to measure this). Ironically I only have issues on the drivers side of the GS just like I did in the IS I havent seen anyone mod their ISF yet *cough* Mr. Johnson (lol) so we can see if this is the case. We have one local member with the F-Sport full suspension set up. Come spring I will compare his car to another IS lowered on springs so we can see what they actually show
The5 F-sport cars (5 F-Sport cars, 2 IS350's, 1 IS250 AT and 2 IS250 MT) and IS-F's i've driven on and off track including my own have equal gaps in the front. Maybe it's just pure luck. Yes there are too many variables when it comes to measuring.The F-Sport cars I've driven are all maintained by TMS at their maintenance facility at the headquarters. Top of the tread vs. the center section of the wheel opening of the front fenders is where I measure. Even using the finger gap measuring method will give you a good ball park. The lean is apparent with most cars...even more so than some.

My previous Toyota Avalon and Toyota Solara had this lean also. It was most evident with the Tokico/Eibach setup I had on the Solara and of course the Bilstein/Eibach setup on my IS300. I eventually went with coilovers on the IS300 because I got fed up with the left fender liner rub. With the GS350, I went straight to coils. With this IS F, i'm going to leave it alone for now. My '09 has an equal 2 finger gap at the front. When the rain lets up here in the Bay Area, i'll take some pics with tape measurements. Of the 3 Toyota's i've owned in the past and the 3 Lexus' I've owned in the last 4 years, only one of them has an equal gap and ironically it's the most expensive Lexus i've purchased to date. It's the F.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-24-08 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver-side lean like he ISx50?