IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 12:48 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello,

I tried sending a PM to keep this issue private but says your PM Inbox is full...

Thank you again for the quick replies on the JoeZ exhaust rattle issue. Just checking on you guys' availability and location\address?

I would like to schedule a time to bring the car in sometime this week if you guys have time.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Since you're local... We'll have you come down to PTS to take a look and make the fix...
Likely we will just Tig weld in a spacer OR separate the flanges a few more mm's..

Give me a bit to get some lift time there

Joe Z
Old 06-28-15, 01:57 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Hello,

I tried sending a PM to keep this issue private but says your PM Inbox is full...

Thank you again for the quick replies on the JoeZ exhaust rattle issue. Just checking on you guys' availability and location\address?

I would like to schedule a time to bring the car in sometime this week if you guys have time.
Will see what we can do... The lift is not normally cleared for work as we keep raw materials on it when not in use... During the week may be hard, so might have to wait for the weekends..

Making some room today in the PM box

Joe Z
Old 06-29-15, 04:09 PM
SubieDoo17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need this in my life haha
Old 06-29-15, 08:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics

Got the JoeZ exhaust installed on the ISF about 6 months ago and finally got the "rattle" fixed by Tommy at Music Box after spending time troubleshooting. The metallic rattle I experienced was not due to heat shields or installation problems. Tommy addressed all those upon installation.

The rattle I was experiencing is from the resonator section of the exhaust near the end where the flanges are before connecting to the muffler pieces. The flanges were really close to each other, but had a small enough gap that causes vibration upon acceleration which was really noticeable when cold. After the exhaust warms, not much rattle can be heard. Fix was just put a piece of exhaust gasket in between the flanges and no more vibration. Ghetto fix and hope the gasket doesn't fall out, just in case others have this exact issue.
^^ Mike keep me posted if the problem persists...

Will double check the jigs on our side to make sure this problem is elimnated from future production units..

Thank You

Joe Z
This is the same issue I had . Those pieces are so close that they rattle . My exhaust shop welded the pieces together and BOOM rattle gone
Old 06-30-15, 06:11 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

How come this same muffler from the RCF exhaust can't be used on the ISF which would give the option for through tips?

Old 06-30-15, 07:29 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks, just got the issue permanently fixed, hopefully. Exhaust shop just put a few welds on that piece and rattle is gone for sure.

Got the JoeZ exhaust installed on the ISF about 6 months ago and finally got the "rattle" fixed by Tommy at Music Box after spending time troubleshooting. The metallic rattle I experienced was not due to heat shields or installation problems. Tommy addressed all those upon installation.

The rattle I was experiencing is from the resonator section of the exhaust near the end where the flanges are before connecting to the muffler pieces. The flanges were really close to each other, but had a small enough gap that causes vibration upon acceleration which was really noticeable when cold. After the exhaust warms, not much rattle can be heard. Fix was just put a piece of exhaust gasket in between the flanges and no more vibration. Ghetto fix and hope the gasket doesn't fall out, just in case others have this exact issue.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This is the same issue I had . Those pieces are so close that they rattle . My exhaust shop welded the pieces together and BOOM rattle gone
Old 06-30-15, 09:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This is the same issue I had . Those pieces are so close that they rattle. My exhaust shop welded the pieces together and BOOM rattle gone
Thanks, just got the issue permanently fixed, hopefully. Exhaust shop just put a few welds on that piece and rattle is gone for sure.
Thanks for the feedback & updates guys....

We have already taken measures to ensure this issue doesn't arise in future production units..

Clearly there is a small gap in that area with a variance of mm's...
Will be making sure there is sufficient spacing on all runs going forward.

Nothing has changed in the prior process and it isn't widespread issue as far as we know..

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 06-30-15, 09:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FFM
How come this same muffler from the RCF exhaust can't be used on the ISF which would give the option for through tips?

The RC F has plenty of room to support the Dual 4" tips....

The IS F does not... Plus we don't want so put smaller tips in an odd shaped hole + also deal with possibly burning the bumper cover...

We haven't changed the design since 2008.. No plans to do so now..

Sorry - Joe Z
Old 06-30-15, 09:42 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

We haven't changed the design since 2008.. No plans to do so now..

Sorry - Joe Z

Old 06-30-15, 10:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the response Joe Z. I am so happy with the system. Happy I got it figured out. In the future I will be doing all my exhaust installs at an exhaust shop. No more dealers. The shop found where the vibration was coming from in about 1 minute and fixed it in one minute as well. $20 for the quick weld I was on my way.
Old 08-09-15, 11:54 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Installed my Joe Z PTS catback last week after importing it myself to Canada. Big thanks to Josh @ ModInJapan for the top notch service! I have only put about 130km/80 miles on it so far. Here are my thoughts:

• Top notch build quality - the welds, smooth bends, finish and everything else - it's obvious the system was built with pride and is meant to last
  • Everything lined up beautifully, zero fitment issues
  • I love the sound - the system roars, anything above low throttle is wonderful to listen to and turns heads

Now, I don't mean to bash this product at all, but as per my last point, the sticking point is "above low throttle." I find the system produces a significant amount of drone or "boom" (for the lack of a better word) when driven lightly, i.e. low throttle accelerations, uphill sections, granny driving. This can be heard within the cabin and gets to the point of being unpleasant to my ears.

Here is a quick video made with my dashcam footage. Not the highest quality, but should gives the idea. The 3rd clip/scenario is a slight uphill road, coupled with light throttle acceleration.
Code:
https://youtu.be/ooAh2BthjCU *No embed
This IS a highly subjective topic however, and my only reference is the OEM exhaust, as well as my previous car which also had a V8, albeit with a smaller displacement, and a very similar exhaust setup, less any resonators.

With that said, I will give the system some more time to allow for a proper break-in. If memory serves me right, my previous car quieted down as well after some time. Or is it possibly an install error?

Last edited by M4rk; 08-09-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-09-15, 12:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

^^ Congrats on the install..!!

Assuming you have no leaks anywhere from the install...
(Inspect / Check all flange connections)

The PTS exhaust system will break in after approx. 1,000 miles of driving..

Enjoy

Joe Z
Old 08-09-15, 01:20 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Pulling trigger on this exhaust with next year's tax return. Heard only positive things best bang per buck upgrade. Also supports local business and enthusiast
Old 08-09-15, 04:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by M4rk
Installed my Joe Z PTS catback last week after importing it myself to Canada. Big thanks to Josh @ ModInJapan for the top notch service! I have only put about 130km/80 miles on it so far. Here are my thoughts:

• Top notch build quality - the welds, smooth bends, finish and everything else - it's obvious the system was built with pride and is meant to last
  • Everything lined up beautifully, zero fitment issues
  • I love the sound - the system roars, anything above low throttle is wonderful to listen to and turns heads

Now, I don't mean to bash this product at all, but as per my last point, the sticking point is "above low throttle." I find the system produces a significant amount of drone or "boom" (for the lack of a better word) when driven lightly, i.e. low throttle accelerations, uphill sections, granny driving. This can be heard within the cabin and gets to the point of being unpleasant to my ears.

Here is a quick video made with my dashcam footage. Not the highest quality, but should gives the idea. The 3rd clip/scenario is a slight uphill road, coupled with light throttle acceleration.
Code:
https://youtu.be/ooAh2BthjCU *No embed
This IS a highly subjective topic however, and my only reference is the OEM exhaust, as well as my previous car which also had a V8, albeit with a smaller displacement, and a very similar exhaust setup, less any resonators.

With that said, I will give the system some more time to allow for a proper break-in. If memory serves me right, my previous car quieted down as well after some time. Or is it possibly an install error?
Mine was really loud too when I got it. After about 400-500 miles it will quiet down and get a little quieter from then to the first 1000 miles like Joe Z said. There is drone and there are times when I kind of get annoyed by it but most of the time its fine. Crusing on the highway at 80 puts it right in that sweet spot. If you have this exhaust you need to like to listen to music in the car. Still worth it for the added good sound and the sound with the windows down during the cooler months is awesome. I ended up going back to stock with my GS350 and a Tanabe medallion system but with a car like this it adds character, grunt, and a little extra power. Plus the sound when you drop a few gears and rev match as you pass a little bimmer and flex on them is priceless
Old 08-10-15, 03:50 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you, guys. I will give it more time and report back

Quick Reply: Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics