IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New pads and rotors on ISF

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 11:52 PM
superYaris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pads and rotors on ISF

anyone with new pads and rotors on their ISF........ looking for some new pads and rotors available for the ISF
Old 10-27-08, 12:14 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about new pads or rotors BUT....

I am more then sick and tired of this brake dust, its REDICULOUS! Has anyone had a TSB done for it? I can't stand it, thank god our stocks are dark.
Old 10-27-08, 12:47 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's gotta be the #1 reason why Lexus put on the gun metal finishes on the wheels.

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS

I am more then sick and tired of this brake dust, its REDICULOUS! Has anyone had a TSB done for it? I can't stand it, thank god our stocks are dark.
Old 10-27-08, 05:33 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
I think that's gotta be the #1 reason why Lexus put on the gun metal finishes on the wheels.
You're probably right.
Old 10-27-08, 06:07 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS

I know what you mean, it can get to be a pain in the a$$....but then I press on them hard and remember why I don't mind all the dust
Old 10-27-08, 08:00 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
....but then I press on them hard and remember why I don't mind all the dust

i hope my rotors come in today
Old 10-27-08, 09:52 AM
stash84
Rookie

how many miles do u have?
Old 10-27-08, 10:00 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17,600 and counting
Old 10-27-08, 10:44 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Censored. Bad attitude. Moderators will. Sorry, my bad.

Last edited by Audriuss; 11-06-08 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-27-08, 02:49 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Thumbs down What's the difference in size betweeen IS-F and IS Models?

Originally Posted by Audriuss
"whats good for everything, that is not good for ANYTHING". Well said, they stop your car better then regular brakes, so getting different pads not putting so much dust, will afect the quality of breaking.

I would advise you to put is250 or is350 brake system if you don't need so much break force and want less "performance" dust
I agree 100% with Audriuss. Lexus makes thinner brake pads because of all the complaints of too much brake dust, but that severely limits your stopping power. There are clay bars that are very time consuming but work very well. You should use alloy wheel waxes and sealants quite regularly to prevent the brake dust bonding. Right now my car has 4000 miles and even though I have washed my car weekly and waxed it at least once a month I still have what I say is corrosion. I took my car in to get the wheels replaced and they wouldn't do it even though they couldn't get the corrosion off. They said it was my fault for the corrosion because I caused the brake dust and since it was my fault it is not covered under warranty. I am having the service manager write up a memo with his definition of corrosion and how it is my fault and why they won’t cover it, because I am going to take their *** to court. My car is only 5 months old and I have taken care of it like it was my child. Ok I got off track there sorry. Even though I am having this problem don't get thinner brake pads.

Last edited by tastemydus; 10-27-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-27-08, 11:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

^^ you live on an island surrounded by salt water? Your car is going to corrode.

I used to live in Sacramento. It was easy to see which cars on the lot came from the Bay Area. They had corrosion all over anything aluminum and every bolt with a phosphate finish. I just saw another of these beauties yesterday at a Toyota dealer (wife replacing totaled Scion with used Scion). The first car was a local car - 2006, looked perfect under the hood. Second car was a 2008 from Florida. Engine, transmission, brakes, and every nut and bolt were covered with white oxide crystals. There's no escaping it without moving.
Old 10-28-08, 12:19 AM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
^^ you live on an island surrounded by salt water? Your car is going to corrode.

I used to live in Sacramento. It was easy to see which cars on the lot came from the Bay Area. They had corrosion all over anything aluminum and every bolt with a phosphate finish. I just saw another of these beauties yesterday at a Toyota dealer (wife replacing totaled Scion with used Scion). The first car was a local car - 2006, looked perfect under the hood. Second car was a 2008 from Florida. Engine, transmission, brakes, and every nut and bolt were covered with white oxide crystals. There's no escaping it without moving.
WRONG lobuxracer.....I live on an island where I can see the ocean from my house and had my F for more than 6 months with no corrosion problem at all. Its what you do to take care of it that matters. And lets not compare sacramento to guam, cause obviously the environment is no way similar. Say what you want, but i'm sure theres a bunch of club lexus hawaii guys that would prove you wrong.

sorry for hijacking the thread.....i'm sure lexus went cheap with the brake pads....i'm considering getting these next....hi performance ceramic ones.

Last edited by chikken; 10-28-08 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-28-08, 12:26 AM
is-eF
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

I have to disagree with you about living on an island surrounded by salt water and expecting corrosion. I'm in the middle of the Pacific and do not have this problem. Not on this car or any of my cars in the past.

If the car is taken care of on a regular basis (definition of regular basis is subjective of course) you should NOT expect any abnormal corrosion. In some States where they have salt on the streets, expectations maybe even higher for corrosion. However, regular detail maintenance should prevent it. Of course it all depends on what you use as a protectant too.

IMHO/experience...as far as quick brake dust build up...well performance pads on performance rotors will do that, even to the point of some squeaking of the pads. I ran Hawk Plus pads on my other car and brake dust build up was just as bad, went to OEM pads and hardly any dust. However, the stopping performance seemed to match the dust build up and/or lack thereof.
Old 10-28-08, 08:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Piffle. My 15 year old Supra has never lived anywhere near the ocean. It looks no different than the day it left the showroom floor. I've seen cars in Florida, in Hawaii (been to Hawaii more times than I can remember), and in the Bay Area. They all show strong evidence of corrosion that doesn't exist in Sacramento or in Atlanta where I live. No amount of washing will prevent corrosion in a salt air environment.

How many 50's cars are there on any island with their original paint and original sheet metal? Doesn't exist. How many are in Sacramento? A lot.

Does everything corrode? YES. Does everything corrode at the same rate under the same conditions? YES. Does location affect the rate of corrosion? Absolutely!

Besides, the problem here isn't really corrosion of the wheel, it's hot metal from the brake pads melting into the clearcoat on the wheels. Ask anyone who runs Hawk Blue track pads about it, they're legendary for jacking up the finish on wheels.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-28-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-28-08, 08:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by chikken
WRONG lobuxracer.....I live on an island where I can see the ocean from my house and had my F for more than 6 months with no corrosion problem at all. Its what you do to take care of it that matters. And lets not compare sacramento to guam, cause obviously the environment is no way similar. Say what you want, but i'm sure theres a bunch of club lexus hawaii guys that would prove you wrong.

sorry for hijacking the thread.....i'm sure lexus went cheap with the brake pads....i'm considering getting these next....hi performance ceramic ones.
No one is going to "prove me wrong." I've been to Hawaii, been to Guam, been to Okinawa, lived on Crete for three years and personally experienced corrosion from the ocean being within a 1/4 mile of my home. When I returned from my three years on Crete I completely disassembled my FJ1100 and had the frame stripped and repainted because every single weld on it had evidence of corrosion. The frame was brand new when the bike left port in Oakland because I had to replace it after an accident. Corrosion showed up within 6 months of arrival. I also had to do corrosion control on an antenna array located a few hundred yards from the beach. It was a constant PITA because no matter what we did, there was ALWAYS corrosion to be cleaned up and repainted.

You live on an island near the ocean. Your car will corrode much faster than it will if you don't. See post above.

Quick Reply: New pads and rotors on ISF