IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY Stock Intake Mod

Old 08-24-16, 03:15 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But couldn't that be said about every aspect of the car? For instance i widened the primaries exit after the cats, made more power and a bit more noise, but thats changing the factory spec and something they specifically designed for one reason or another. Also, should people not put full exhausts on their car? Etc etc.

I think they are working under restricting parameters such as:

-Noise
-Pollution
-Road manners
-etc

So decatting cars and modifying them etc pulls them out of their tightly controlled manufacturer restrictions, but most of the time makes them a better car.

A GREAT example of this is lowering the car and changing springs etc, man they spent a LOOOONG time on suspension setups, then people drop a car on its guts. But its personal preference and the car then achieves what they want it to, in their eyes its better. But its not for everyone!

Its all fun and games baby :-D
Old 08-24-16, 04:10 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

^^^ i agree.. it's all about car companies complying with regulations reason why they "dumb" down the car.. i say mod away..
Old 08-24-16, 05:31 PM
tpham32
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
This is my opinion. Lexus spends millions engineering cars and they prob spent days on the intake. Leave it alone this stuff is here for a reason.

Happy heat soak!!!

Stick to intake, headers, exhaust, tune. We all know its restricted on our cars and every other car on the road.
I am still trying to find out why the engineers went with the two-stage intake...
Old 08-25-16, 08:01 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Use a tuned and developed solution

It has been my experience that the intake "path" is just like the exhaust path. Both of which are "tuned" by OEMs such as Lexus, Honda, Nissan, etc. Just like bolting a less restrictive exhaust isn't always the answer, it is possible that neither is a less restrictive intake. As with exhaust "pulses", equal length headers, placement of the x-pipe, and mufflers all are done to maximize power and minimize noise to the extent possible. I'm no expert, but from what others (experts included) have written, it stands to reason that changing the intake path can alter performance in similar ways. There are several NA motors that suffer a torque loss at low rpm due to the installation of a CAI or similar part. Lexus likely tuned this low-end torque to the engine for a number of reasons (drivability, mileage, noise reduction, etc.). The dual-stage intake on the ISF works in conjunction with the runners to maintain the appropriate velocities and pressures required on the intake side just as good exhaust designs do on the exit side. The reason that RR racing's design works to improve performance is that they tuned the engine for this specific modification rather than just bolting it on and letting the engine sort itself out. A custom tune solution can often minimize any torque loss on the low end while preserving the benefits of the intake on the top end.
Old 08-25-16, 11:19 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

does anyone know if lexus kept the same dual stage intake on the rcf and gsf and what their owners are doing about it?
Old 08-26-16, 12:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^Yes, Both the RCF and the GSF have the Dual Stage Intake system similar to the ISF.

Lou
Old 03-24-18, 11:13 PM
breakeroh
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the vacuum hose need to be blocked or just left unplugged from the actuator? I understand the vacuum plug added to the actuator after the hose is unplugged. But what about the unplugged hose, just leff to hang?
Old 03-25-18, 01:18 PM
breakeroh
Rookie

Ok i just tried this out today. It works and makes the intake growl much more beginning at 2000 rpma now instead of up at 3700 or so rpms where the dual intake flap opens. I like this easy mod, it makes driving more fun to hear the engine growl at 2000 rpms! Thanks for sharing this diy mod. Picture below shows I attached a vacuum plug in yellow and left the other end dangling. Very easy mod for more sound.

Old 03-25-18, 02:24 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by breakeroh
Ok i just tried this out today. It works and makes the intake growl much more beginning at 2000 rpma now instead of up at 3700 or so rpms where the dual intake flap opens. I like this easy mod, it makes driving more fun to hear the engine growl at 2000 rpms! Thanks for sharing this diy mod. Picture below shows I attached a vacuum plug in yellow and left the other end dangling. Very easy mod for more sound.
Yeah ive done this mod too a while ago. Definitely not a fuel saver as you want to accelerate more to hear it haha.
FYI if anyone wants to buy the vacuum cap its a 1/8th size.
Old 03-25-18, 07:42 PM
breakeroh
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Yeah ive done this mod too a while ago. Definitely not a fuel saver as you want to accelerate more to hear it haha.
I did find myself accelerating more lol
Its much more fun to hear the engine growl!
Old 03-25-18, 08:39 PM
djiawan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really great mod. Nice and easy heads up for more noise and fun. Never mind what the haters say...
Old 03-26-18, 04:22 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Yes, Both the RCF and the GSF have the Dual Stage Intake system similar to the ISF.

Lou
A bit off topic but i know youre running the Takeda intake. Ive since ordered one as well so its on its way :-)
With this intake does the car retain the dual stage intake or does that go with the Takeda?
Old 03-26-18, 06:54 AM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Youre putting a used 25 cent vacuum cap on the market? What are you asking for that bad boy? Can we get some pics?? JK sir lol

Last edited by 400to300H; 03-26-18 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 09:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

A bit off topic but i know youre running the Takeda intake. Ive since ordered one as well so its on its way :-)
With this intake does the car retain the dual stage intake or does that go with the Takeda?
The Takeda is the only 3rd party intake system (JoeZ tube excluded) that retains the stock dual stage intake flap

Lou
The following users liked this post:
ISF5L (03-26-18)
Old 03-26-18, 08:52 PM
breakeroh
Rookie

Its very noticeable at 2000 rpms where I like to shift at and so this mod allows the roar to happen as you get on the throttle to accelerate and gets louder through 2000 rpms. Building up through 2000rpms is great hearing the engine come alive and I dont feel like I'm speeding to enjoy it. This is perfect for operating in normal rpm ranges for daily street pace. Much more fun to drive on the street not having to rev to 3700 rpms to get the roar.
I took the extra turns all day today when I had to drive so that I could hear the new engine sounds more. Recommend others try it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Stock Intake Mod