IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-f or maybe not...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 05:57 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-f or maybe not...

I just sold my RSP sc300 and I'm looking for another nice car. I was in love with the IS-f till I just found out about the CTS-V coming out. Almost a second faster in the quarter mile and under 8 min in the Neurenburg ring. Well anyway for anyone that knows about the two cars, thoughts? Both around $60k
Old 09-27-08, 06:45 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

the cts-v is a nice fast car with the LS-9 motor. a pully swap and a ecu tune and it will literally spank not only our ISF but pretty much any 4 door car on the road... and not mention the same price tag

props to GM LS technology has been refined so many times over its 10 year existence it has an abundance amount of parts and shops and to drop the uber engine into the CTS is pure effin genius... the only thing is can you persuade import tuners into buying an american car.

i dunno you guys tell me... what sounds better

I drive a ISF....
I drive a CTS-V

I drive a Lexus
I drive a Caddilac.... Caddy? Caddalik?.... THROW SOME D's on that b****
Old 09-27-08, 06:55 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I love the new CTS-V! It's an awesome car. I just have to wonder how the resale value will compare to the IS-F and if their is a markup on them as I would imagine.
Old 09-27-08, 07:05 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

All valid points but I'm styling aside as everyone has their own opinion, resale value aside because thats not why I would buy either one of these cars, I'd buy them for performance. Car for car, dollar for dollar... I think the IS-f just losses this competition. I can't imagine driving an American car but I'm not sure if I could say no to this beast. I guess a test drive in each will be the final determining factor for me. I'm sure lexus's gs-f whenever that debuts will pull ahead but until then.... any other thoughts on why you guys bought an IS-F instead?
Old 09-27-08, 07:11 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a brand issue, I would not be caught dead in the Caddy, do not matter how fast it is...
Old 09-27-08, 07:17 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sxylxy
All valid points but I'm styling aside as everyone has their own opinion, resale value aside because thats not why I would buy either one of these cars, I'd buy them for performance. Car for car, dollar for dollar... I think the IS-f just losses this competition. I can't imagine driving an American car but I'm not sure if I could say no to this beast. I guess a test drive in each will be the final determining factor for me. I'm sure lexus's gs-f whenever that debuts will pull ahead but until then.... any other thoughts on why you guys bought an IS-F instead?

the GSF isnt even out yet and you are comparing it to a car that can produce 800 HP with only 500 dollars in mods.....

i bought an ISF becuase of my stubborness and denial towards american cars.... dont tell me he numbers i know everything about it... but i think i can speak for everyone that why we bought the lexus is because of the name and the name alone.... it just gives off BALLER!!! where a caddy does not.... unfortunately whose looking to spend 10 G's just to get the damn thing to 600 HP

Last edited by Lexus999; 09-27-08 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 07:34 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure I agree about the Baller piece.

The Lexus is a complete package, performance, looks, comfort, luxury and performance (yes twice !), I do think you have to through a **** load of money at it for it to scream Baller ! While the Caddy on the other hand just need a set of 22', it is already loaded up to the gills with chrome.

Also real world price also is often significantly different from print-in-magazine MSRP, from limited availability, Gas guzzler tax to dealer markup, I will bet that you can't get a '09 CTS-V for under $80k before tax and reg for at least a couple of years.
Old 09-27-08, 07:57 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timeToy
I'm not sure I agree about the Baller piece.

The Lexus is a complete package, performance, looks, comfort, luxury and performance (yes twice !), I do think you have to through a **** load of money at it for it to scream Baller ! While the Caddy on the other hand just need a set of 22', it is already loaded up to the gills with chrome.

Also real world price also is often significantly different from print-in-magazine MSRP, from limited availability, Gas guzzler tax to dealer markup, I will bet that you can't get a '09 CTS-V for under $80k before tax and reg for at least a couple of years.
the caddi is also the complete package including performance... but i disagree with you thinking the Lexus does not say baller status. the ISF is a 65+ thou car out the door.... also, i seriously doubt the CTS-V will end up being 80K out the door when the it has already been confirmed that the Zr1 vette will start at 90K
Old 09-27-08, 08:08 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

I paid $53k for my IS-F before tax and reg, and I challenge you to found a CTS-V or ZR1 at MSRP, we are talking limited series car that will carry massive markup, today people are lining up for the ZR1 at $120k (+$30k !). Then chances are that GM is going to pull a Nissan and jack up the price 10% half way though the year !
Old 09-27-08, 08:22 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by timeToy
I paid $53k for my IS-F before tax and reg, and I challenge you to found a CTS-V or ZR1 at MSRP, we are talking limited series car that will carry massive markup, today people are lining up for the ZR1 at $120k (+$30k !). Then chances are that GM is going to pull a Nissan and jack up the price 10% half way though the year !
I would bet those markup are not going to last. The ISF went tru the same story, whoever wants to be a little patient, like many things in life, can just get a better deal. Those who pay those $20k markups on the GTR might feel sorry in a few months when the car sells at or below MSRP. Let's talk about this again in January. Looking at how the economy is doing that's got to have an impact at some point...
Old 09-27-08, 09:46 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

cadillacs are quite ugly
Old 09-27-08, 10:14 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I'd have to agree that the 60k price range is misleading. We have to wait until official pricing is revealed. They also say that the m3 and c63 is the same price range as the F, but we all know that it's not true given similar options and equipment.

Even if the price is the same, ultimately it's a matter of whether the car appeals to the buyer. I don't care if the Caddy does the ring in 7 minutes and does 1/4 in 10 seconds. I still wouldn't buy one because I don't like its style (Maybe because I'm on the younger side). Reliability and resale is also a big factor.

So no one can argue that performance-wise, the CTS-V will kick butt, and I respect it for what it is. But for cars in this segment, it's not all about performance and numbers, or bang for the buck. Otherwise we would've all bought a Corvette.
Old 09-28-08, 04:18 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pics that I've seen of the CTS-V are incredible - that is one mean-looking car. The power is impressive, as well. Given the choice, I'd probably buy American for the first time.
Old 09-28-08, 06:12 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Edumunds tested out a CTS-V not exactly the numbers GM were claiming but impressive indeed. Here is the link... BTW my 400th post yeah...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=131106
Old 09-28-08, 08:49 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I think considering that it WILL be the fastest production sedan ever made (556hp 550+ torque), there will be a large markup for some time just like every other nice car but then it will eventually die down. IMO I wouldn't even compare this car to the ISF or the M3. 556hp to 416 hp and it's only running a 12.5 second quarter mile. We already have 12.5 second timeslips from the ISF with 140 hp less. This thing is an absolute boat and anyone who buys it as a track car doesn't know anything about cars. I believe I read that when it broke the Nurburgring record it wasn't even close to stock anyways.

This car is going to be bought by old men who won't drive it over 40mph. I love the way it looks/performs but I just understand these comparisons.

Quick Reply: IS-f or maybe not...