IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sport mode and Dual Stage Intake...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 05:05 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sport mode and Dual Stage Intake...

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if there is a connection between the sport mode and the dual stage stock intake system? The reason I ask this is because today on the freeway after handing a new Audi RS4 it's *** in sport mode, I switched it off at around 65mph. Right when I switched it off, there was a definate difference in how smooth the car felt. It didn't shift into a different gear or anything, but it seemed like it got chocked up bit right when I switched the off the sport mode...kind of like there was less air getting into the engine. I was wondering if the sport mode opens up the passenger fender side intake opening of the stock intake to allow it to breath better. For those that don't know, there are two intake opening for the stock intake...one up front that appears to be always open and readily visible, and a hidden one under the passenger fender engine cover that has what appears to be a vacuum opperated intake opening. I'm currious what exactly does the sport mode does and when does the side intake valve open up...Darshana S...
Old 09-14-08, 06:32 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever I disable the sport mode when driving with my foot on the gas pedal, I can feel the "choked" up feeling too. I've come to the conclusion that it is the decreased throttle response when in Normal mode. Cuz basically turning off sport mode and not changing your throttle pressure is the same as letting off the gas. Feels like the car decelerates or hits some sort of a wall.

The two stage intake system is still somewhat of a mystery to me however. I understand some aspects, but others I try not to think about them too much as long as it keeps growling above 3500 RPM's!!!
Old 09-14-08, 06:45 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I know what you mean and I can feel it as well but I don't think it has anything to do with the intake. I'm not positive but I don't think it has anything to do with the intake system but rather, like DRE1615 said, the decreased throttle response of the computer system

This may help found it on another site by a guy named OldPart$

The sensors in those brakes enable a wide range of functions, bundled together in what Lexus calls Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), which has three modes.
1. Normal keeps traction- and stability-control on at all times.
2. Sport ups the heft of the electronic power steering, raises transmission shift points, speeds throttle response, and relaxes the linear and lateral slip thresholds of the traction and stability systems.
3. You can also turn the whole thing off - press the button with the sliding car icon once to kill traction control, hold it down for three seconds to snuff out stability control. In all modes, ABS and the electronically controlled brake LSD are always engaged.

I notice it as well, I was driving down the freeway and lifted up my knee to stretch it out and all of a sudden felt the car choke up and start to lag a lot when I would press on the peddle, I look down and I'm in snow mode Not a good mode to be in, I prefer the sport one
Old 09-15-08, 05:44 AM
nuttybar08
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drive-by-wire throttle allows the ECU to change the throttle response curve ...in other words how much you have to press the gas pedal to get "x" amount of fuel in the engine. It doesn't have to adjust the intake configuration to accomplish this. Functionally, the M3 does the same thing throttle-wise with its "Power" button.

As far as I can tell (anecdote vice data), the second-stage intake opens at the same RPM independent of mode, at least in Normal or Sport. I don't know if this is true for Snow mode but hopefully I'll never find out.