IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

People Taking Pix of Your Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 01:31 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People Taking Pix of Your Car?

Just thought I'd share a funny story. Yesterday I parked my car in a strip mall (In a farthest spot possible, obviously) and went in to buy a drink. When I came out, there was a car, engine still on, stopped right behind my car. I thought the person was probably waiting for someone or chatting on the phone, but as I looked closer, I realized that he was taking pictures of my car with his cell phone. Being a bit unsure of what to do, I just stood there next to his car and continued to sip on my drink while I waited for him to finish taking pictures. He then proceeds to drive to another spot near my car to get pictures from a different angle. After a minute or so, he drove off. I don't have any license plates on my car yet, so I didn't really care. ha ha ha

Did this ever happened to any of you? Usually this doesn't happen in L.A., where even exotics are almost commonplace. People are generally pretty jaded when it comes to cars.
Old 09-08-08, 02:13 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Did this ever happened to any of you? Usually this doesn't happen in L.A., where even exotics are almost commonplace. People are generally pretty jaded when it comes to cars.
This used to happen to me a lot in the Dallas area. I would be driving on the freeway and notice a car either pull behind me real close or they would pace me in the next lane and I would turn to look and find them with their cell phones out taking pictures and videos. A lot of times they would give me a thumbs up, other times they would just smile and wave. I want to say this has happened probably 5 or 6 distinct times that I have noticed while driving (could be, and probably is, more). Few other times I park at various places, especially downtown and come out to find groups of people walking around and touching the windows to look inside the F and things like that

I guess it just comes with the car, its not a bad thing until people put their prints all over your windows, then shi* gets real I say to myself, if my Mercury Metallic F creates this much attention, I wanna see what kind the Ultrasonic Blue gets

I don't mind the little extra attention every now and then

Last edited by BigMikeISF; 09-08-08 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-08-08, 02:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

run downstairs to make sure your car isn't stolen yet

kind of weird, especially for a stock car.
Old 09-08-08, 02:52 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i get many looks, + thumbs up and my wife hate driving the ISF cuz he says people slow down and dont pass her or keep staring which makes her uncomfortable
Old 09-08-08, 03:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a fan. That's good. For now.

When you have a stalker, that's bad.
Old 09-08-08, 04:20 PM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I was leaving Fry's the other day when I noticed a small group of guys crouching around the back and sides of my car. As I walked up and opened the trunk, one of the guys says "nice car" while another says "nice, but my boss has an Aston Martin" (like I care lol). Then the first guy asks if I can throw a few revs for him (I say "no problem"). As I'm getting into my car, a young girl in the passenger seat of a beat-up, '88 accord says parked next to me says "i like your car, but my new GTR is faster". wtf? It seems that lately, people comment on the car, and then proceed to tell me they know someone with a nicer car. Like I even care lol.

Back to topic, i've seen lots of cellphones taking pics in the 6 months I've owned my F. I get at least one comment a day on the car and/or color. I've even seen some nighttime flashes out of other cars which can be disconcerting...

Last edited by photomaker; 09-08-08 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 05:23 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by photomaker
I was leaving Fry's the other day when I noticed a small group of guys crouching around the back and sides of my car. As I walked up and opened the trunk, one of the guys says "nice car" while another says "nice, but my boss has an Aston Martin" (like I care lol). Then the first guy asks if I can throw a few revs for him (I say "no problem"). As I'm getting into my car, a young girl in the passenger seat of a beat-up, '88 accord says parked next to me says "i like your car, but my new GTR is faster". wtf? It seems that lately, people comment on the car, and then proceed to tell me they know someone with a nicer car. Like I even care lol.

Back to topic, i've seen lots of cellphones taking pics in the 6 months I've owned my F. I get at least one comment a day on the car and/or color. I've even seen some nighttime flashes out of other cars which can be disconcerting...
Wow, some pretty obnoxious people... funny how certain "rare" cars makes people think that they can say whatever they want to you.. So which Fry's was this?
Old 09-08-08, 05:42 PM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^This car brings out a lot of the "One-Uppers". I'm a pilot, which I know ranks fairly high on the coolness scale, but I will never brag about it, yet there's always that guy who has to say "Well, I've been on my cousin's boss's Lear Jet".

That's cool, but you didn't fly it. You also don't drive an IS F. Thanks for playing.

The other day some younger guys in a IS 300 (nice mods, too - beautiful) cited me while I was pumping gas. We exchanged our appreciation for each others models. I lusted after that car when I was much younger, but they naturally wanted to snap pics.
Old 09-08-08, 05:53 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Taking pictures of cars is harmless, but I can't stand when people lean on/touch a car that isn't theirs or someone they know.

Also, when people park their cars wayyyyyyy out away from every car, its annoying when other people park right next to them.
Old 09-08-08, 07:35 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
This used to happen to me a lot in the Dallas area. I would be driving on the freeway and notice a car either pull behind me real close or they would pace me in the next lane and I would turn to look and find them with their cell phones out taking pictures and videos. A lot of times they would give me a thumbs up, other times they would just smile and wave. I want to say this has happened probably 5 or 6 distinct times that I have noticed while driving (could be, and probably is, more). Few other times I park at various places, especially downtown and come out to find groups of people walking around and touching the windows to look inside the F and things like that

I guess it just comes with the car, its not a bad thing until people put their prints all over your windows, then shi* gets real I say to myself, if my Mercury Metallic F creates this much attention, I wanna see what kind the Ultrasonic Blue gets

I don't mind the little extra attention every now and then
sorry i didnt mean to get prints on your windows.
Old 09-09-08, 02:01 AM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Wow, some pretty obnoxious people... funny how certain "rare" cars makes people think that they can say whatever they want to you.. So which Fry's was this?
Fountain Valley...
Old 09-09-08, 03:31 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a guy in an M3 take cellphone photos of my car (on the freeway) after I first got it. After that just compliments, no photos that I know of.

Never any one-ups either, just compliments. That's nice.
Old 09-09-08, 05:27 AM
Pair0Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Funny this thread has popped up. I can remember two times being stopped at a red light and the guy behind taking cell phone pics. I find it strange but cool that others appreciate the car. Fortunately no one-uppers yet.
Old 09-09-08, 09:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Maybe some of these pictures end up in the "IS-F Spotted threads" here on CL...
Old 09-09-08, 09:19 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bottom line, you don't buy cars like these if you don't want the attention. I drive what I want for me but I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate the attention. Get used to it.. Especially if you put on some nice wheels.

Quick Reply: People Taking Pix of Your Car?