IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thoughts after 1 month

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 07:31 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try to get a better video for you guys. Mine's #740 and I got it in March -or maybe it was end of Feb?? Can't remember anymore.

But did you guys notice it having traction issues in 2nd gear? That's on nice dry surface! I LOVE cool weather!!!
Old 09-08-08, 07:44 PM
foup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No traction issue for me so far unless in uneven terrain.

To refer to the video, ideally, should this video be used to show a difference in behavior between two cars, it would be great if a passenger could shoot it from behind your seat so that you hands and foot movements can be caught as well. That way there cannot be any question about the timings. You can also describe the load (one/two people, full tank, etc) terrain (flat, downhill, uphill), date, temperature, humidity and location (if possible). Are you sure your car meet California's emission? I know that there are -or used to- be slight variations between states (such as in idle speed, etc).

If it appears that some cars, under the same circumstances, exhibit drastically different behavior then Lexus would need to explain it. It sounds very unlikely that they would have done some firmware change since March, or even change anything in the car, but who knows... Thanks.
Old 09-08-08, 08:31 PM
sclx
Rookie

I'm not having any downshifting problems either. My car was an early one - I got it in January and I think I was the 3rd person to have one here in the forum.

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/40MPH.htm

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/50MPH.htm

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/60MPH.htm

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/70MPH.htm

If any of your cars are taking longer to downshift than these videos show, you may have something wrong. You can hear in my videos when I stomp on the gas pedal - I made sure it was loud enough so you could hear it.

Desi

Last edited by sclx; 09-08-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 08:42 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

^^nice vid's, show a lot referring to the topic in this thread

Mine are about the same most of the time, every once in a while they will seem a little slower. Perhaps its the horrible pavement here in Texas and its downshifting that fast but I'm not feeling it as quick since I lose traction (and the computer is trying to negotiate the power) on pretty much every street I punch it on here in Austin
Old 09-08-08, 09:47 PM
sclx
Rookie

Just some added info - my serial number ends in 0000508.

Desi
Old 09-08-08, 10:32 PM
sizquik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I don't know about you, but my car downshifts just fine in auto mode. I decided to punch the gas. I was cruising along at 42 mph in 7th or maybe it's even in 8th gear because I'm around 1100 rpm. I hit the gas and within a split second, I'm in 2nd gear and spinning my tires (you can see the traction blinking in the lower right).

Maybe your car has adapted to slower driving and mine's more used to more aggressive driving?

Here's a quick mobile phone video:

http://home.comcast.net/~youngsongdmd/nolag.3gp
Cue Godzilla SFX:WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH......
Tooth Doc: I don't feel so much of a lag there... I dunnowayouz talking about..
Me: lololol Classic Doc.
Old 09-08-08, 10:56 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Wow thanks for posting the videos, guys. Mine is not broken in yet so I cannot go WOT, however I can attest that on the freeway when I did step on it about 1/2 way, I have had instant downshifts from 8 -> 6 and also sometimes 8 -> 5 without any lag.

So now that we have "good shifting" videos to reference, we need someone to capture instances where they have experienced a significant delay so we can compare the two.
Old 09-08-08, 11:17 PM
larrysb
Driver

I don't think mine ever down shifts that fast. #3797.
Old 09-08-08, 11:23 PM
sclx
Rookie

Huh, sorry to hear that. I never really thought about it since I keep mine in manual mode most of the time, it downshifts even faster. Does it just sit there thinking then go straight from 8th gear to 3rd or something? Or does it step down through the gears slowly? I can't imagine why it would take any longer. We may have a real problem here - I think we need some comparison videos.

Desi
Old 09-09-08, 04:39 PM
rutiger
Rookie

picked mine up a few weeks ago. just hit 1k miles. and mine shifts very quickly like in the vids posted here. if it lagged 5x like someone mentioned here i'd definitely be pissed. i keep it in auto mode most of the time, but often use the paddles to downshift instead of braking. then i hold the upshift paddle for a few secs for it to go back into auto mode. since reading this thread i've played around with mine in various scenarios and cannot find a problem. today cruising at 45~mph in 7th i floored it and it kicked down to 2nd very quickly.
Old 09-09-08, 04:58 PM
foup
Driver

[QUOTE=sclx;3821278]I'm not having any downshifting problems either. My car was an early one - I got it in January and I think I was the 3rd person to have one here in the forum.

Good videos. Looking at your 50MPH video it looks it's taking 0.7 second second to downshift. I will try it with mine and let you know (since I don't see any other light on the dashboard I suppose you were not in sport mode).
Old 09-09-08, 07:54 PM
sclx
Rookie

Correct - I made sure I was not in sport mode, no VSC or traction disabled - only thing lit up is the headlights icon.

Desi
Old 09-09-08, 09:22 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if I were in full manual mode, it wouldn't shift from 8th to 2nd so quick. It skips gears only in auto mode it seems. BTW, I did change the video - this time it shows the gears and I tried to get a bigger resolution on my mobile phone. Once again, from 8th to 2nd as soon as I mash it. This time I wasn't able to break traction at 50 mph.
Old 09-13-08, 12:30 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by sclx
I'm not having any downshifting problems either. My car was an early one - I got it in January and I think I was the 3rd person to have one here in the forum.

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/40MPH.htm

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/50MPH.htm

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/60MPH.htm

http://www.screenused.com/images/_misc/70MPH.htm

If any of your cars are taking longer to downshift than these videos show, you may have something wrong. You can hear in my videos when I stomp on the gas pedal - I made sure it was loud enough so you could hear it.

Desi
sclx, this is what I would try, if you have a chance:

1. I tried flooring in auto at 40MPH or 50MPH and, on a flat road, I witnessed the same behavior as you did. Basically the car shifts from 8 or 7 to 3 or 2 and at the same time I see the RPM needle swings to the red line, all within a second or slightly less. Expected behavior.

2. The exact same test on an uphill road, I witnessed about double shift times (2 sec). The gear LCD display shows it goes from 7 to 2 quickly BUT the RPM needle gets stuck at 1500 RPM for 0.5 to 1 sec before "waking up". It's like if the car stayed idle for an instant. Even though it says it's at gear 2 it obviously is not because it would slow right away (since the RPM still has not moved to its previous gear 7 value, around 1500 RPM). I still have to confirm but I believe that's exactly what larrysb found out while passing someone at a turn out while going uphill (a road I take everyday).

There seems to be a different behavior whether the car is cruising effortlessly on a flat road (like your tests demonstrate) comparedo while the car is maintaining speed going uphill. If others can confirm it would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-14-08, 01:40 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

the DSG box on my GTI does the same thing in D... its takes time to select the right gear.

Quick Reply: Thoughts after 1 month