IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F owners, why chose this over the new C63?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 09:01 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IS-F owners, why chose this over the new C63?

I know I'm probably going to get bashed for asking this on a Lexus site but I really want to hear from true IS-F owners.......

Price wise the two cars are similiar, but the C63 is so much faster (albeit the dismal gas mileage of the Benz)

I was looking for a used RS4 to replace my e46 m3 but my g/f needs an automatic to drive so that rules out that car. Thus I'm shopping for a pre-owned IS-F. The C63 is not even a car I'm considering but just wondering how everyone here feels about the C63 vs. IS-F?

comments appreciated,
rick
Old 08-08-08, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hey rick. to me, is-f interior is far better than the c63, in fact i think the is-f interior is the best among all competitions. c63 is fast, but i also think that car might not be as balanced as the is-f. that's my feeling
Old 08-08-08, 11:11 AM
larrysb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't find a C63. Not all that crazy about the C-class anyway. It's a lot more money too.
Old 08-08-08, 11:17 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the rominl who responded before me. The interior of the IS-F is definitely a step above the C63 in my opinion. While the C63 is the fastest, the IS-F is a total package deal, nice interior, navi, decent sound system, etc. etc., plus you get the reliability of Lexus. I personally think the 8 speed gearbox works well with the car, ya, it can have one to many gears every now and then, but most of the time, when driving normally and not beating the ba*** off it, I can't really tell. Also, the C63 looks better imo. I love the way the IS-F drives, it just feels awesome driving it, I don't know what it is, I just love the car. Not only that, I, as well as members of my family have had horrible experiences with MB and would never buy another

Last edited by BigMikeISF; 08-08-08 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-08-08, 11:18 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The primary reasons to buy an IS-F over a C63 are the same reasons to buy any Lexus over any Benz. Pick any or all of them; they're all good and justified reasons. I will never buy a Benz again, and this is coming from a past C43 owner who loved the driving aspect of the car. The problem with my C43 and Benz vehicles in general - and BMWs, for that matter - is everything else.

Weight is also a concern. IMO, the IS-F is already unnecessarily heavy at nearly 3800lbs. While MB reports the curb weight of the C63 as lower, reviews have stated their as-tested weight as typically some 300lbs (!!) heavier than MB's reported weight, which makes it quite a bit heavier than even the IS-F.
Old 08-08-08, 11:21 AM
trick22isf
Driver School Candidate

I actually had a deposit on a C63, but went by Lexus one more time on my way to the MB dealer. Drove the IS-F one more time and for me personally, the IS-F just felt right. I know that's really open to interpretation, but when you spend that kind of money, you want to have that feeling (at least I do). The C63 is a great car, but the IS-F beat it (for me). Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-08, 11:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want my car to be in my garage, not my mechanic's.
Old 08-08-08, 11:28 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the replies so far - I agree wholeheartedly on the MB interior! I dropped by to check out their showroom C350 with the "AMG" package and I can't believe how CHEAP that rear seat looks!

I don't know how MB can build such a good S-class but when it comes to the C-class their interior choice of materials plain sucks!

I've heard of MB horrible build reliability but I also own a 99 ML320 and maybe I'm just lucky but that car has 120k miles and is the most trouble free car I've owned. (knock on wood) The only things that gone wrong is a motor regulator at 100k miles and a few minor things which is to be expected on a high mileage car.

My e46 m3 is also a solid performer, never in the dealership for anything besides maintenance and recall issues

But no one can argue with Lexus quality - we bought my parents a RX350 and they love the free car wash and Lexus "cafe" at the Chicagoland dealerships!

rk
Old 08-08-08, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

seriously, a while ago we went to check out the s550 and e63. both cars are very nice, we liked it

then my wife got curious and asked about the c350. she checked it out (2nd time, first time was too rush), and within mins she got out and said the interior is holy moly pos. she felt like being in a camry

i laughed
Old 08-08-08, 12:11 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Well said!
Old 08-08-08, 12:22 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

1. Toyota quality.
2. Toyota reliability.
3. Interior.
4. Navigation/technology much better.

Peter
Old 08-08-08, 12:31 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
EXACTLY. Reliability is the reason why I would buy the F.
Also:
You can get an F with much more options than a C63 for the same price.
Im not sure, but I would guess that the C63's insurance might be a lil higher.
repair cost is high for both but I have a feeling that the C63 might be higher as well.
My friend has a C55 amg and he went to change his oil, they also changed all the fluids, and a brake job. So he paid 1000 dollars for an oil change and brake job. thats ridiculous.

I wouldnt blame anybody for getting th C though, because ist a beast and its just straight up awesome. BUT. If you look at it as a "business investment" the F will prally be the best one out of all cars in this class.
Old 08-08-08, 12:39 PM
CQE1
Driver School Candidate

working for the company makes my answer very biased. but even if didn't the IS F still would be a no brainer.

Reason- check the latest JD Power results. Reliability and resale- Lexus is king at that. C63 is a mean looking ride but overall balance in terms of driveability, functionality, and needed perfomance go to the F.

CQE1- 08 IS F-smokey granite
Old 08-08-08, 12:59 PM
SupraLB
Driver School Candidate

I like the interior.

Old 08-08-08, 02:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by juice14
My friend has a C55 amg and he went to change his oil, they also changed all the fluids, and a brake job. So he paid 1000 dollars for an oil change and brake job. thats ridiculous.
well i mean, your friend chose to be ripped right? if you go in for oil change, do that. i don't care about what else they sell me. to be honest i see people getting ripped at lexus dealership the same way too

SupraLB, to make myself clear, i think the c63 interior design is pretty cool. however the fit and finish and the quality is what makes me think twice. somehow it feel pretty sub-par to me compared to say the e63

Quick Reply: IS-F owners, why chose this over the new C63?