IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone driven an S5, 335i and an IS-F?

Old 03-02-08, 04:44 PM
Falucka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone driven an S5, 335i and an IS-F?

So basically, I am deciding between these cars (I really want an M3 or C63, and still may be able to get one, but so far, the powers that be say they are too powerful). Anyways, all three cars get somewhat similar 0-60 times, with, generally, the IS-F being the fastest, then the S5 and 335i are pretty much tied. Anyways, I am wondering if anyone has driven the IS-F and any of those 2 cars, or both, and if they had, could they compare speed, steering, power delivery, suspension, ect. I am pretty sure that it will come down to the S5 and the IS-F (unless I can get an M3 or C63), which is turning out to be a tough choice. I am a manual guy, and always have been; overall I like the looks of the S5 better, but the IS-F has an interesting look that I like, I also like the S5s AWD, but the fact that the IS-F has 4 doors is nice.... I do sometimes wonder if the IS-F is significantly faster than the S5 or not. Basically, I plan to lease whatever car, and then after 3 years, lease or buy a Nissan GT-R.

Also, is there really a downshift blip, and if so, is it as noticeable as say, the downshift blip on an Audi/VW DSG car (also known as S-Tronic on the A3 and TT), or Lambo E-Gear (also known as R-Tronic in the R8).

Thanks
Old 03-02-08, 05:23 PM
RoadBiker
Driver School Candidate

I had two 2007 335i's. The first a certified lemon and the second traded for my new IS-F. Putting the lemon issue aside, I really liked the car and wondered if I would notice a difference with the IS-F. Well, I think it is night a day different. The IS-F is so much better. Handling, ride, and power are much better. The IS-F is a lot more money, so it is hard to tell you if it is worth it. For me, it is. I really don't think you can compare these cars, as these are totally different.
Old 03-02-08, 06:03 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The S5 won't be directly comparable to the IS-F except in price... The S5 is a luxurious GT style coupe. I've driven both the IS-F and the S5. It would be hard to choose between the two. Currently the S5 is on about a 6 month waitlist from the dealers. I think the S5 would win for my money, I found it more comfortable to drive, very luxurious cabin. But it would be a very hard decision.

I like the manual transmission, quattro, and design of the S5 over the IS-F.
Old 03-02-08, 06:51 PM
Falucka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pbm317
The S5 won't be directly comparable to the IS-F except in price... The S5 is a luxurious GT style coupe. I've driven both the IS-F and the S5. It would be hard to choose between the two. Currently the S5 is on about a 6 month waitlist from the dealers. I think the S5 would win for my money, I found it more comfortable to drive, very luxurious cabin. But it would be a very hard decision.

I like the manual transmission, quattro, and design of the S5 over the IS-F.
I put an order in for an S5 on Jan 10th... If I decide to go with the S5, I am expected to get my car the beginning of July, which sucks.
Old 03-02-08, 06:59 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

335i is nice, but I think it is too common now. The IS-F and the S5 should be more limited so that is a plus... S5 cost more than an IS-F and has less performance which is why I went with the IS-F...also I believe the S5 has gas guzzler charge too...but not too sure about that...
Old 03-02-08, 09:31 PM
Falucka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
335i is nice, but I think it is too common now. The IS-F and the S5 should be more limited so that is a plus... S5 cost more than an IS-F and has less performance which is why I went with the IS-F...also I believe the S5 has gas guzzler charge too...but not too sure about that...
I dunno where you got that from... base price S5 is 50,500, vs. 56,000 for the IS-F. My fully loaded S5 came to 57,750 (with a discount, but even without it, its still only 59,250), and a fully loaded IS-F is a hair under 62,000. But, you are right about the gas guzzler tax... which is 0 on the IS-F and 1700 on the S5.
Old 03-02-08, 11:11 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Falucka
I dunno where you got that from... base price S5 is 50,500, vs. 56,000 for the IS-F. My fully loaded S5 came to 57,750 (with a discount, but even without it, its still only 59,250), and a fully loaded IS-F is a hair under 62,000. But, you are right about the gas guzzler tax... which is 0 on the IS-F and 1700 on the S5.
hm...weird...cuz I went to the audi dealership like a few weeks ago and they had an S5 for 65k...it had a whole lot of options....maybe it had a 5-10k mark up!
Old 03-03-08, 12:17 AM
Falucka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
hm...weird...cuz I went to the audi dealership like a few weeks ago and they had an S5 for 65k...it had a whole lot of options....maybe it had a 5-10k mark up!
It had to... the absolute most you can spec an S5 to is 59,500.
Old 03-03-08, 01:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I put an order in for an S5 on Jan 10th... If I decide to go with the S5, I am expected to get my car the beginning of July, which sucks.
my friend got one within 10 days of visiting dealership, despite salesman telling him he will have to wait until July/August first time he came... 2 days later he started calling him every day once someone didnt want to purchase car that came in :-).

He is pretty happy with it too.
Old 03-03-08, 05:48 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

It had to... the absolute most you can spec an S5 to is 59,500.
S5's are selling for well over MSRP in Southern California right now.

Javier
Old 03-03-08, 10:24 PM
Falucka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
S5's are selling for well over MSRP in Southern California right now.

Javier
Crazy... I got 1500 under MSRP on mine (if I get it).
Old 03-03-08, 10:49 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

I was planning to buy the 335i coupe but ended up gettting the S5. I haven't yet test drove the IS-F but I kind of know what it will feel like from all the reviews. The S5 is an awesome car, its so beautiful and every time I get in the car to start it, it gives you this sensation. I've had the IS 350 so I wouldn't be too impressed with the IS-F's interior and quality. But if your an enthusiast, S5 is probably not your car. One thing that nags me is the lack of power of the S5, I know its more than enough for daily driving, but it just doesn't seem much faster than my IS 350. On the other hand the IS-F design does not get my attention as it used to. The RS5 is the perfect car for me though.
Old 03-04-08, 12:07 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

just one comment on 335 (or any e92 COUPE): IT has SO MUCH legroom in back that I was deffinetly surprised!
Old 03-18-08, 07:45 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I have driven all three cars. The ISF is my personal favorite (cuz I have one). The 335i was nice, power that never seemed to fade, but it didnt feel nearly as planted as the S5 or the ISF. It is a nice car it just felt small. My mom has a 328i, being that it is the same car with a different engine I can tell you a few things I dont like. The interior is boring and good luck trying to fit anyone in those back seats.

The S5 was an amazing ride. I test drove one last week in Chicagoland. There is currently a nine month wait for them. The 6 speed manual drove great and was so easy to drive, even as a daily driver I think. I pulled up next to a trailblazer SS during the test drive and completely killed this kid on the highway (no surprise), he was a dot in my rear view. But the S5 is even smaller than the 335i in the back but does have a big trunk. Fit and finish in the audi were way nicer than the BMW.

Then there's the ISF. Easily fits 4, huge boot, tons of power. It is a great daily driver b/c it is subtle when you are in normal mode and dont have to worry about operating a clutch in traffic. But when you want to push it, it will go ***** to the walls in the blink of an eye. Ease of use goes to Lexus on this one. The Nav/climate/radio etc are so easy to use in the Lexus. BMW's IDrive is horrible and takes a long time to learn. Audi's system is much better than BMW's but trying to use it all while driving a manual gearbox seems quite impossible to me.

Sorry for the long post. If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 03-19-08, 08:49 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

to be honest the S5 power wise is not comparable. Not until they come out with the rs5. And the 335i is not either.

Comparable cars in that group are RS5(which will be hot!) and M3

I almost bought a RS4 but am glad I got the IS-F because of a few quirks about the audi interior. It just was to busy for me and dated. This is my first lexus ever. Never cared for them because lexus never had a performance stance until now. I mostly buy german autos. So lexus finally swayed me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone driven an S5, 335i and an IS-F?