carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more

Old 02-16-08, 08:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

wow, great pics, thanks for sharing these!
Old 02-17-08, 12:33 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great Pics Joe!!!

Was this at a Lexus training facility?? or required Tech briefing on various engine parts??

I would had to think these parts showed up at the dealership already (for a specific car) ...

Joe Z
Old 02-17-08, 08:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Thats really awesome!!
Old 02-17-08, 10:50 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm just hoping that these aren't parts to fix a faulty IS-F so early on!
Old 02-17-08, 01:23 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

LOL. I seriously doubt that they would need replacement anytime soon so the odds of me ever having to disassemble and engine and view them is slim to none. Most of these cars won't be seeing any sort of mileage. That in conjunction to the limited production would make it even that much more unlikely to ever tear into. But you never know. I thought the same about the Integra Type-Rs and we were always replaceing engines and gearboxes on those cars when I worked for Acura but that was from the kids of the owners who ragged them out. I'm predicting the high entry fee of this vehicle should keep the owners of this vehicle on the correect page.

Moving along, the first five pics are of the intake plenum assembly. The entire intake comes off as a whole and internally uses velocity stacks. The large capacity plenum and velocity stacks help distribute equal amounts of air to each individual cylinders. Every one of those runners not only has the same length, but they are also cast to almost the same angles. This helps deliver the same velocity to each cylinder also. The tuning of these is a science of their own. The equal distribution help maintain volumetric efficiency accross all 8 cylinder.

The next two pics after that are of the front timing cover assembly. The tubes you see there are for the inlet and outlets to the scavenge pump that has been removed from the cover. We did have the scavenge pump apart and I was inspecting the internals but I didn't take any pics of it. I'm sorry about that. In order to service the scavenge pump the cover has to come off which means the engine and transmission assembly has to be dropped out. The tubes to the right and left head to the cylinder heads and are the inlets to the pump. The lower tube is the outlet to the oil pan. During high speed cornering the oil pools from high G-forces on the sides of the cylinder heads. This reduces the oil level in the pan and creates a problem by potentially running the oil pump put of oil and possibly damaging the engine. The scavenge pump is designed to force that pooled oil out of the heads back into the oil pan before that happens. It is drivebelt driven so the vehicle is not meant to be driven with the drivebelt.

The last four pics are the images of the driver's side cylinder head. Even though the 2UR engines in the IS-F and the LS600 hybrid are 5.0 liter V8s there are significant differences. The LS600 uses a OEM toyota cylinder head. The engine designation of the LS 600 is 2UR-FSE. It is the FE motor which incorporates reduced valve splayed angles just liek the V8s they had been making for the past two decades.

The GE motors were commonly used in the inline 4 and inline 6 motors. Most of them are the 3S, 2JZ, 7M, 4A etc. These engines were all bucket shim sytle and because the cams directly drove the valves the cams were placed rather far apart. This made the cylinder heads rather large and the timing belt would drive each cam individually. These engines had large splayed valve angles and could breathe exceptionally well from this improved cylinder head design.

The images below show the difference between the GE and the FE series motors. The difference in the valve anges are small but look at the pattern of air entry and exit and the size of the valves used on both engines.

2JZ-GE

2JZ-FSE

The IS-F is Toyota's first production V8 that uses the GE designation. The engine code for this model is 2UR-GSE. The higher splayed valve angle was made possible by making the cylinder heads smaller. This was done by using a 1-piece cylinder head rather than a 2-piece one commonly found on all the newer UR series V8s and GR series V6s. The rocker arms are also designed w/o a hydraulic lash adjuster just like all the GE motors were designed. The valve adjustment interval of this engine is 60K miles and if I would own one I would definitely have that inspected and adjusted. Although the valve lash inspection can be done with the cams in place, adjustment would necessitate removal of the cams.

The cams are hollow tubes with cam lobes press fitted to the billet machined shafts. This design makes the cams exceptionalls strong as they are not cast and the material could be built to exact spec. The harder steel used in the cam shaft and lobes further reduces the drag on the roller rockers and the cam journals.

I've been told that the heads are a team work of Toyota's and Yamaha's engineers. The 3S-GTE engine was also designed the same way and that was almost 2 decades ago so both companies must go together like a PB & J sandwich even today.

The fuel injection of this engine is identical to the IS350. However, the IS350 uses a 3-rotor fuel pump and 1 direct fuel injection driver ecu. The 1UR and 2UR V8s use 2 fuel pumps driven off a 2-rotor lobe on each of the intake cams. The 2GR-FSE from the IS350 uses D4-S fuel injection for the port and direct fuel injection. The 1UR and 2UR V8s also use port and direct injection but they use 2 direct fuel injection driver ecus.

The cylinder heads are so short that it doesn't incorporate tubes on the cylinder heads. The head covers use square type seals rather than tube seals very much like the honda twin cam engines use.
Old 02-17-08, 04:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Are there dowel pins on the plenum to align it with the intake ports, or are they just using a bolt fit because the heads may not be precisely located on the block to allow doweling? It would really suck to do a bunch of port work only to have the plenum offset relative to the ports and create a step.

Lots of porting opportunity in those shots, especially in the plenum. It would be an interesting challenge to get them all truly identically sized. The intakes look especially short and straight. That part is nice.

I'm a bit confused about wide valve angles being better. Bike engines all use </= 15 degrees of total splay, and they have the highest specific output of any road going machines. Yamaha is quite familiar with this. G series heads have typically been ~23 degrees, but my understanding of this was more solving a packaging problem than best combustion chamber design.

Yamaha and Toyota have a very long history of working together on cylinder heads. The cam arrangement (caps between the valves in each cylinder) first showed up in 1984 on the FJ1100 engines. Honda had their caps between the cylinders, so there were more caps and more fluid drag, but a LOT more support.

If my Supra is any indication of valve adjustment longevity - It's gone 145k miles with the factory shim job unchanged. I've checked it at the prescribed 60K intervals, but never needed to adjust them. I also just checked it this summer before driving from California to Atlanta, and still, all valves are well within spec. I'd both hope and expect the IS-F to be pretty much the same unless the titanium intakes have strange issues.
Old 02-23-08, 04:43 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the 2GR-FSE engine have a scavenge pump?
Old 02-26-08, 10:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Thanks for the pics Joe.
Old 02-26-08, 10:15 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-30-11, 02:21 PM
Solrac28
Driver School Candidate

nice pictures. Any chance of getting a picture posted with the cams removed? Would love to see the valve pivots specifically.
Old 08-30-11, 02:39 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Thanks for sharing the pics!
Old 08-30-11, 02:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Best I've found... Online...

Added: Engine Story PDF

Attached Thumbnails A few internal pics of IS-F engine parts-de310616.jpg   A few internal pics of IS-F engine parts-a2a139c7.jpg   A few internal pics of IS-F engine parts-c89747ca.jpg   A few internal pics of IS-F engine parts-8ec47c3c.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Engine_Story.pdf (524.2 KB, 1057 views)

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-30-11 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 02:48 PM
Solrac28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Does the 2GR-FSE engine have a scavenge pump?
No it does not and neither does the 2GR-FSE.

I really like the plenum design of this motor and ponder if I could adapt the technology to my 2GRFE progects. Nicely done.

Quick Reply: A few internal pics of IS-F engine parts