IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Do you think that IS-F is overpriced compared to M3 Sedan?
Yes
37.21%
No
62.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think that IS-F is overpriced compared to M3 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 01:00 AM
08IS-F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you think that IS-F is overpriced compared to M3 Sedan

We now know how much the BMW E90 M3 Sedan base price $53,800 and compared to Lexus IS-F base price $56,000. Do you think the Lexus IS-F is overpriced?
*Remember IS-F has more standard features: leather/memory seats, moonroof, standard 19" rims etc.
Oh and don't forget about M3's Gas Guzzler Tax.

Last edited by 08IS-F; 01-15-08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 01:59 AM
insomniac
Lead Lap

I voted yes. BMW is known for its amazing performace with sports cars and lexus is not so it already has an established name. The E90 M3 Sedan looks a lot classier and sexier than the IS-F. Those exhaust tips on the IS-F are hideous and id almost go as far as saying the car looks rice. If it was me id get a nissan GT-R for 9k more, are you kidding me??

I might also add that BMW's cars are also overpriced, so for the IS-F to cost more than the E90 M3 Sedan is just ridiculous in my opinion. Pricing should have been below 55k loaded.

Last edited by insomniac; 01-14-08 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 05:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wait for an options list before you jump on the conclusions wagon. I bet you that base M3 price doesnt even include the DCT transmission which you need to make a comparison. Watch them still nickel and dime you for leather and paint on a 55k car

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-14-08 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 06:51 AM
insomniac
Lead Lap

^is that even factual? That doesn't look right.
Old 01-14-08, 07:50 AM
joshmtx
Rookie

BMW clearly undercut Lexus' base price with a lesser value. Lexus has never represented low priced cars with a poor value.

Even if 4TehNguyen's numbers aren't exact, they give a good estimate, adding leather alone to the M3 will most likely put the car at an even cost. That doesn't acount for the transmission, and other standard goodies in the IS F.

Most Lexus IS F's that you can actually buy from the dealers will probably cost around 59k, and the BMW that you can actually buy from the dealers will most likely cost more. Base price is meaningless if you can't or don't buy a base model.

Lexus has clearly done their homework on pricing. The IS F represents an amazing first attempt by Lexus. I hope Lexus sees lots of success with the IS F so that they continue with the F cars.
Old 01-14-08, 08:01 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say it is, at least for me. I never care for options when buying a performance car I want. I never care for upgrade sound system, navigation blah blah blah. I am just looking to get a base model. But it might be different for you. If you are looking for a fully loaded cars, IS-F might not be too bad.

you better have a big pocket if you are going with fully loaded m3.

Out the door decently loaded will cost you 70k easy after gas guzzler tax and what not. M3 comes with cloth seats as standard.
Old 01-14-08, 09:24 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not at all. Either one offers a great car for the money.
I would like to see a bit more in the way of interior features...or maybe something that more clearly defines the ISF from a 250 with the same options.
Old 01-14-08, 09:37 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

I would say no. I know someone who spoke to his sales advisor and these are the rough figures for the options on the M3, not to mention the gas guzzler tax to be included.

Metallic Paint $475
Nappa Leather $1,450
Carbon Fiber trim $300
Comfort Access $500
M Multifunction Seats with Active Width Adjustment $1,900
Front Heated Seats $500
Power Rear Sunshade $350
Head-Up Display $1,000
Navigation System $2,100
Rear Park Distance Control $350
19" M Double Spoke Alloy Wheels $1,750
Logic7 Sound System $1,200
SIRIUS Satellite Radio $595
High Definition Radio $500
Premium Package (ZPP) $3,100

Now, if you check IS-F's standard features, it already includes leather seats, heated seats and comfort access which automatically saves roughly $2,500. Also, these are the only extra options for the IS-F, everything else is standard.

Mark Levinson® Premium Surround-sound System (AM/FM tuner, in-dash 6-DVD/CD changer, 14 speakers, advanced discrete amplifier design with 300 watts continuous power at less than 0.1% THD from 20 to 20,000 Hz, 7.1-channel speaker architecture)
Lexus DVD Navigation System
7-inch LCD VGA touch screen
Voice activation
Rear back-up camera
Bluetooth®
Intuitive Park Assist (IPA)
Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
Headlamp Cleaner

So to conclude, a fully loaded M3 would probably cost more than a fully loaded IS-F. A stripped down version of both will probably have the M3 slightly cheaper but you'll still get more out of the IS-F with power, torque, standard features and of course, reliability.
Old 01-14-08, 12:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the correct info on the option pricing.

-M3 Coupe $56,500
-M3 Sedan $53,800
plus $775 destination

Options:
-Premium Package-Power folding mirrors, universal garage opener, digital compass mirror, BMW Assist, Novillo Leather interior and choice of three optional interior trims. - $1900

-Technology Package- EDC, M Drive, Comfort Access, and navigation system - $3250

-19" wheels with performance tires in mixed sizes (style 220) - $1200

-Electronic Damping Control (EDC) - $1000

-Extended Novillo Leather Interior - $2000 or $1100 with Premium Package

-Enhanced Premium Sound - $1900

M3 Coupe: steel roof with glass moonroof - No Charge

M3 Sedan: Moonroof - $1050

From m3 post
Old 01-14-08, 12:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I think it's a fair enough price... but I'm not sure how the rest of the target market will see it. I think when you're trying to break into a brand new market, you need to try to undercut the current market leader. That's what Lexus had always done to BMW, Audi, and Mercedes in the past; I don't see why they would change now.

And let's not kid ourselves; base price is much more important than option/package pricing.
Old 01-14-08, 12:55 PM
z4frosik
Pole Position

both good prices for the quality of cars, but still way out my price range :\
Old 01-14-08, 01:28 PM
joshmtx
Rookie

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Personally, I think it's a fair enough price... but I'm not sure how the rest of the target market will see it. I think when you're trying to break into a brand new market, you need to try to undercut the current market leader. That's what Lexus had always done to BMW, Audi, and Mercedes in the past; I don't see why they would change now.

And let's not kid ourselves; base price is much more important than option/package pricing.
Please explain how base msrp is more important than actually sales price? What is important to me is value. What am I getting for my money.

I would also be most interested in dealer invoice pricing.

I think Lexus should see that what enthusiasts want is a stripped out IS F coupe, branded Toyota (or Scion for that matter) for cheap! Call it a Supra and it will sell! Ok, that was me going nuts.
Old 01-14-08, 02:46 PM
LexFather

No.
Brakes by Brembo
Wheels by BBS
That makes up the difference right there already. Both, IMO have very good pricing.
Old 01-14-08, 03:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by insomniac
^is that even factual? That doesn't look right.
it was posted in car chat, if you follow the picture link it comes from m3post.com. It is still unknown what the DCT transmission will cost (a post on a m3 forum indicated it might cost several k), which you will have to include to do a rock hard comparison with an IS-F
Old 01-14-08, 06:37 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

IMO I think both have their own advantages and disadvantages and it really comes down to the buyer - what do you really want out of either car? Me, I'll gladly balance luxury and performance, afterall, isn't this why we are talking LEXUS....otherwise, label it a Toyota than.

Lexus didn't get where it is by offering crappy cars and crappy service. Afterall, this is what we are also buying into - service and branding - not just the car.

IMO again.

Quick Reply: Do you think that IS-F is overpriced compared to M3 Sedan