IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

All IS-F Reviews here

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 08:49 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
On my drive days to SF let it get warm and then switch to Manual mode with sport on and enjoy the ride, empty road @ 5:30 am .
Watch out for those deers.
Old 02-14-12, 10:01 AM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review 2012 F

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._f_first_test/
Old 06-23-12, 10:53 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John7033
Here are some informal review notes on my ISF experience. I wrote it because when I was looking for end user reviews on the ISF, I wasn’t able to find many. The reviews I did find were mostly written by professional writers and many of them sounded so similar they could have come from the same set of talking points, and there are very few for the 2012 ISF. Here are some of my impressions on my recently purchased ISF, and I hope it’s helpful to other potential buyers.

About me:
I’m an average driver. My ISF won’t be raced on the strip or track and I have no plans to alter it any way, it’s my commuter car. My previous commuter was a 323i sport before I decided to get an M3 to replace the 323i. I have owned other sporty cars in the past, and still own a 1968 Camaro. I can’t really do much with it but make expensive noise and tire smoke, but the Camaro is great fun and always a conversation piece at the neighborhood 4th of July parade. I have never owned an M3 but I planned to buy an M3 or S4 when a friend suggested looking into this Japanese upstart that has all the BMW fanbois in a state of hysteria. I did a little research, watched the precious few video reviews, talked to a friend who drives an ISF to work daily, then decided to get one (Thanks Jerry G and Byron B, it was good advice).

I wound up buying a 2012 silver ISF, with navi and the four thousand dollar stereo system, and no pre-crash. I imagine the pre-crash probably has some pleasant female voice or noise to let me know I’m about to plow my new car into the back of a cement truck in approximately 1.6265 seconds—it’s not all that useful a piece of information. I don’t really know what happens but the cynical part of me loves to over-simplify so pardon the snark.

The interior fit and finish is superb as you would expect. The Japanese and German approaches to luxury are different but this car is a departure from both of those approaches. The materials are a little exuberant at first glance. You could be forgiven for comparing the interior of the ISF to with a shiny arcade game, which is itself designed to attract spiky-haired, twenty-something nj-dbags dressed in undersized in “Tap Out” t-shirts.

The seats are firm and re-assuring, and grabby thanks to the alcantara upholstery inserts. Not a huge fan of it originally, the fuzzy seat is growing on me. I wanted silver with a black interior, and that’s the only way it comes. The ISF does not have the same degree of traditional wood and butter soft leather, but now that I’ve had it for a while, I think the choice to make it a little more appealing to the younger crowd will pay off.

A four thousand dollar radio?
Is the stereo/navigation worth four thousand dollars? The sound is nice, but not what I would describe as spectacular. In my model, it seems that the satellite radio has a lower volume than the terrestrial radio. I haven’t found a way to adjust that yet, so it’s a little underpowered when competing with road noise on a city street. Considering the thought Lexus puts into everything else, it surprises me a little. The engine noise easily overwhelms the ISF’s cabin, but in a way that I would compare to hearing the loud and somewhat obnoxious voice of an old friend. Personally, I love the noise and won’t tire of it but I don’t know if everyone will share my opinion.

So, how does it drive? In one word, orgasmic.

In my part of Northern California, you usually run out of road long before running out of engine and it happens even faster in this car. Lexus claims that from a standing stop you can reach sixty miles per hour in about four and a half seconds, and I can confirm. The car does give you plenty of feedback though it comes through different channels so there will be a short acclimation period for new owners if you’re accustomed to Corvette or M3 feedback.
When accelerating, it just pulls and pulls, and you’ll find yourself flicking the paddles on average less than once per second under load. The power band is a little more narrow, so if you grew up with five speeds there will an adjustment period where you learn to associate RPMs engine noise, speed and load over eight gears instead of four or five. You will definitely need to change gears more often if you’re in manual mode, but it’s nothing more than an unobtrusive the flick of a finger, and around ~0.151 seconds later that very same day..(or moment actually), you’re in the next gear.

If you’re used to American V8s, the sound from this engine might remind you of a Ford GT40. It’s almost a snarl rather than growl. If you haven’t heard the ISF yet, it’s about the same volume and pitch as the voice of a sullen and angry teenage daughter when you tell her to have a nice day at school.

The sound is refined but there is no mistaking a big V8. At around ~3500 RPMs the secondary intake opens and dumps twice the air and fuel into the engine. You feel and hear it. If you have ever ridden in a nitro injected or early turbo charged car, the sensation might be familiar.
Shifting gears is something that comes naturally to most people who learned to drive with a standard transmission, so graduating to a more modern arrangement for changing gears may take some getting used to. In my case, a big part of the fun of drifting around a (completely deserted) corner was the physical and mental dexterity required during the drift and recover. Those two reflexes which have existed my entire driving life now sit idle and enjoy the ride along. Its spirited driving intensified.

Here’s a more grassroots explanation: Because you don’t have to fork processes in your brain to deal with shifting and moving your hands back to the wheel, you have more time available for sensory indulgence…it just feels more exquisite.

The ISF does not contain tons of new gee-whiz technology, as many of the key parts come from Lexus’s own parts bin. Considering the pain and expense (to maker and buyer) with developing a new powertrain for a world class car, it makes sense to use a well-established design for the motive parts, and many ISF owners can attest to relatively modest ownership costs when compared to the German sport sedans.

The ISF retails for roughly the same price as the M3, and the so-called experts agree its performance is just a tick off the M3, though the ISF behaves noticeably more like a sedan. A skilled driver might choose the M3 over the ISF if the main criteria were how well the car loops the world’s race tracks, but there are other factors to consider, like the cost of ownership, long term reliability and smugness.

With only a few thousand ISFs swilling premium fuel while zipping around the USA, you won’t have to worry about being rear-ended by some over-moneyed dotcom puke ISF driver any time soon so the exclusivity will remain intact for years. The F badge will probably achieve some degree of cachet in its own right just because it’s so rare. ISF owners can probably count on the applied “F” badges being pried off by their cars by thieves. That’s just part of the price of owning a world class performance sedan. Think of it as a most sincere compliment.

Afterthoughts? The rear tires on my car are 255, and the car came with Michelin Pilot Sports. Also, it appears all four exhaust ports are functional.

I almost forgot…To my complete astonishment, it seems the ISF really does get 16 MPG in the city. Of course, just one of those gallons will cost you something approaching five bucks, but I promise it will be a fun sixteen miles.

A happy ISF owner,
John Davis
Excellent review! Now that you've had her for a little while, what do you think?
Old 09-17-12, 05:18 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Old 12-10-12, 06:47 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably old news by now Jay Leno tests new 2013 IS chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=jE1eeBo9qgU#!

Digger08
Old 01-13-13, 01:18 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great write up on a track day test with a 2011 ISF. Just found this site.
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2011/0...11-lexus-is-f/
Old 03-25-13, 08:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Lexus IS F

2013 Lexus IS F

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...-f-quick-spin/

Engine: 5.0L V8
Power: 416 HP / 371 LB-FT
Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic
0-60 Time: 4.6 Seconds
Top Speed: 170 MPH
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,780 LBS
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 13.3 CU-FT
MPG: 16 City / 23 HWY
As-Tested Price: $65,804

Sometimes fortune really smiles on even shiftless car-reviewing Dutchmen like myself, I must admit. I had come into Austin, TX the week before I was supposed to meet up with the good people at Lexus, who had graciously invited me to drive the 2014 IS. I flew in early because Austin is a pretty good place to eat, as well as being a place that my wife doesn't live. Let me say that a nicer way... while my stunningly attractive wife pretty much represents all things good and light in this world, she does occasionally shoot me a sideways glance when I dig in for my fifth Tacodeli breakfast taco. Thankfully, I leave most of my good sense and information about the effects of high-calorie diets on lifespan at home with Molly when I come to Texas, so I can better focus my laser-like attention on car reviews and TexMex. You guys are worth it.

Aside from all the tacos, I was also lucky to be visiting town the weekend before South By Southwest really kicked off in earnest, because it was that Sunday that my good old buddy John, and my new old buddy Pat, were headed up to the Circuit of the Americas to see the first ever SCCA Majors event there. It was lucky that I had planned to be out at CotA, which is east of Austin, because that made it very slightly easier for a very nice woman named Marcia to bring me a 2013 Lexus IS F from Houston, roughly 150 miles away.

Marcia brought me the IS F to replace another press car, which was having mechanical troubles; I didn't ask for the fire-breathing IS but when it was offered up I figured I couldn't do much better as a warm up for the 2014 IS program I was about to go on. See, lucky right?

Driving Notes
  • It's been a long time since we've written up a review of the IS F, so let me remind everyone of a critical fact: this car lives just inside the borders of sanity. Forget for a moment that the 416 horsepower and 371 pound-feet of torque from the 5.0-liter V8 is actually starting to sound modest in today's turbo and biturbo days, and pay attention to the fact that the IS-F might be the easiest luxury car to get sideways that I've ever driven. Power delivery to the rear wheels via the quick-spinning V8 is incredibly rapid, so if you are inclined to introduce even smidge of steering lock into the equation, you're bound to go drifting, boy. Good thing hadn't just finished watching hours of racing at a Formula One track right after I picked the car up... oh, wait.
  • In many ways, the newly sporting character of the more basic IS350 is a direct result of lessons learned building this IS F. The eight-speed automatic is a carryover from the F to the new IS, even though it's handling a lot less power in the new application. I actually don't think it works quite as well in manual mode in the IS F as it does in the new IS, primarily because it doesn't react quite quickly enough to smoothly handle all the power of the quick-revving engine. I found myself really needing to shift up a beat or so before I would have expected to in order to account for the lag in the transmission. Not a horrible thing after getting used to it, but it does make it harder to squeeze out those last rpms before having to shift up. Automatic mode is unobtrusive, however, and that's what I used for three-quarters of my driving in downtown Austin, for sure.
  • When I got this IS F in Austin, I was immediately transported to the first drive I'd ever had of the car, and recapitulated my thoughts on what a bruiser it is. There's very little "Lexus-like" about how the IS F rides and handles. It's stiff and almost brittle over badly surfaced roads (of which Texas has far fewer of than Michigan, thank God), with practically zero lean in hard corners. It is also loud when accelerating hard, having a flat, metallic bark of an exhaust note that seems better-suited to a Nissan Z car than anything wearing the Lexus lazy L badge. It's almost as if the Lexus performance engineers got sort of pissed about getting teased in the Luxury Car Lunchroom and built a sort of psycho mini muscle car to get back their street cred. Yes, that means it's awesome.
  • You can really see how far the Lexus interior design team has come between the launch of the IS F in 2007 and now. This older style car seems like a much less mature version of the 2014 IS, albeit with many of the same materials. The IS F has got loads of high-gloss carbon fiber, bright white leather and shiny black trim. None of that is bad, per se, in fact, John (who generally hates new cars as a rule) claimed to like the simplicity with which the controls were laid out, but it does feel immediately behind the times when compared with more recent Lexus interiors.
  • On that front, Lexus doesn't have plans to discontinue the IS F in the face of the new IS. I was told that this car will stay on sale concurrently with the new model, presumably until Lexus decides to built a second generation of the F. Frankly, I couldn't even get them to confirm that a followup version of the F is set in stone at all.
  • This is a completely tiny, annoying-car-writer *****, but I can't help myself: How in the hell did the overlords at Toyota sign off on a front cupholder setup this bad? The IS just has that one easy-to-use front cupholder for the front two seats. The second one requires you to drive with the center armrest pad lifted up to use. Am I the only one that ever drives with a passenger and two beverages? Has the whole world gone crazy? As soon as I saw that the new IS had remedied this with two normal cupholders, I jumped up in the air just like those Toyota commercials from the 1980s, I swear.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/25/2013-lexus-is-f/
Old 03-26-13, 12:39 AM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs up Personal Valentine's Day Test Drive

Here's my personal review of a test drive.

Taken this myself back home on Valentines, went for a test drive with the girlfriend. Let's just say the sales lady was trained for Toyota's, not this used IS-F fresh on their lot.
In the brief, probably not even 5 minute drive with two bars of gas in the fuel tank and highway in rush hour, I didn't get to find much room to play in this IS-F like I wanted to. I just wanted to test drive one and have a feel for what I'll be owning when the time comes.
It has roughly 42k miles I believe, and the sticker price was around $40k, also.
They let it start and warm up, I wish I did that. I took it around the block and transitioning from my 94 Hilux to an 07V6XLECamry to this IS-F, I can feel every bit of this car in my nerves. Between my truck that I daily and autocross, I can feel how that suspension just takes in every detail of the road, but in a graceful feedback. I love the turn in feel and the perfect weight the steering provides. From the Camry to the IS-F, the firm suspension was a dead giveaway, but everything was on a completely higher level.
~
Keep you in mind, I drive the living crap out of my truck. It has 255's in the front and 265's in the rear for a vehicle weighing roughly 2900lbs. I autocross with 245's and 275's respectively, wrapping some Nitto NT-01's. I drive this truck to this day, and I've driven it hard on all types and sizes of wheels and tires on it for the past 5 years, roughly. I know what it means to drive something to the limits.
And then comes the Camry. I use it when I'm home on leave. A jump from a (theoretical 1994) 112hp to 268hp in the Camry with 215's all around, I've driven this 6spd auto hard in straight lines, high speed runs, large radius to small radius high speed corners, and even in tight switchback to back corners upon corners, throwing a Camry into that is asking for trouble, but I communicated with the car extremely well, walking along it's fine line of FWD limits and modern day technology (relative to the truck).
~
So here I am, in that IS-F. The 225/255's on the car, I haven't gotten to taste just yet. I follow the saleslady's navigation to exit the side roads and knowing how I should feel that bump in the other vehicles, the IS-F just soaks the bump without any drama, but returning a confident, dense, yet light "thump". I smiled, I know that the tuned suspension is doing as it was designed. I feel the higher notch in engineering that Toyota has put into this IS-F. I know I can easily daily this and still be comfortable, and that short test drive proved it all.
I come to a stop sign and the brakes eased my way to a stop. First thoughts? The brakes communicated clearly and affirmatively. They had a very trusting feel. (This I find in my Toyota's.)
Signal on, left turn onto a small road. I can hear the 5.0L V8 just effortlessly swap some gears as I rolled my way to the next light.
Awkward moment ensues with this overly enthusiastic lady as I ask to find the climate controls and radio buttons. (mind you how simplistic my truck's controls were, and the very user friendly one in the Camry). I figured it out but I wanted to keep admiring the various flows and designs in the interior. I noticed how comfy and snuggled I felt in that driver's seat. I recall sitting in a friend's IS300 and I must say, I do feel as if I'm in command to pilot this master piece. Steering wheel is the right size, the shifter control is in the right place, everything is laid out well, contrary to what anyone else says.
The seats, are supportive. Whoever set the seat before I got in the car, left it perfect. I found my 5'7" ~135lb self comfortable.
Visibility? I drive a 350Z before. C-pillars ruined the driving experience some. I love being able to see where everything is at. I'm highly accustomed to barely looking over the shoulder in my XCab and being able to see anything behind me. Driven that Camry for a while, I set my standards of car visibility there. In this IS-F, I have no problem what so ever. The IS seems large in size, but it's not, I had to remember it's based on a compact/subcompact vehicle. Even better for me! I can look over my shoulders if necessary and I can see quite well in every angle. I love being able to use situational awareness.
A sunroof? YES! I love sunroofs. My 93V6XLE had one, the 07V6XLE does, and my truck doesn't (maybe it might? I should just keep saving the money for a Lexus, right?) The sunroof was the right proportion to the car and it's not so small. I let the sunlight in to enjoy this lovely Lexus. The girlfriend could see how delighted I was, especially hearing me talk about this car for months off end. Being comfortable in a Lexus is quite a feeling.

The light proceeds to turn green, I'm about to reach a left turn up ahead. I apply the throttle and the IS-F's 8 cylinders burble at the surrounding traffic and gets this blue babe off its sexy @ss. I go underneath the highway and hear the concrete reflect the deep, bassy tones the IS-F is well known for. Eargasm.
I finish the turning maneuver and the steering gracefully straightens itself out. Oh, how easy it is to drive a Toyota. Calling the IS-F precise is not enough.
I aim my self towards the highway entrance and I kick the throttle down.

In this moment, the saleslady silences, the radio already muted, my girlfriend just admiring the ride, the angelic 2UR-GSE went from "Hello, bestfriend, let's party!" to something I would compare to a U-2S Dragonlady taking off. BOOM! It's dead serious. It's deep and loud, it roars, it kicks back, and most of all, don't mess with it. The 8 cylinders screaming it's way, the wall on the left reflecting the orchestrative music that Yamaha has written, the torque of the motor just propelling me and my two passengers on our way as it rips through its gearbox, barking off each revolution,... I am in love, this is truly not infatuation.
The IS-F barreling it's way onto the highway, I look over and see no-one in the way, I merge over swiftly and peacefully. This IS-F perfectly matches me and my inner driving spirit. It's tame when I am, only to break out in utter destruction when asked to do so. I slowed down to 60mph since there were some other vehicles in the other lanes. A few cars ahead of me move out the way as I think, "Is this car that intimidating?" I would believe so. I gave it another punch and let it roar it's short trip onto 80mph where I let off. "So effortless" I blurted, words trying to escape this huge grin that stretched across my face. I brought the car up its gears to 8th, where it cruised as if it was an ordinary commuting machine, with the exception to that complimenting exhaust. I found nothing to be annoyed by this car. I did experience that shift up "beep" the IS-F's make as I spanked the rev limiter for a split second. The beep, I didn't like. The V8 rapping along that limiter for a split tiny second, was like the fourth of July.
I exit the freeway as I signaled my way off in this majestic creation of a Lexus. Sure, the car may have been young for what it is, but I don't take anything for granted, this car raised the bar. I can only imagine what it'd be like to drive a 2011+ IS-F with the extra improvements.
I turned the car around in a u-turn, a perfect dive into it, feeling the suspension pick up every input and giving amazing outputs, especially to the relatively narrow tires. Fuji tuned? Toyota and Lexus did this car right. I cruised my way back to another red light. I don't recall what this person drove, but they envied this deep blue IS-F. The light turns green and I did what I do in the Camry. I just roll onto the throttle and let the motor romp, not even a full 75% throttle either. The engine just follows suit and that lovely pull just takes me to the speed limit. I pop it into cruise control and converse with the girlfriend about it. I'm completely thrilled and I enjoyed every bit of that car. I pulled back to the dealership and parked it. The saleslady gets out and there's something on my face I needed to understand. This Lexus brought upon my face a smile that I seek to find in a newer vehicle. It has given me hope for something so raw yet refined.

Things I wish I did more that test drive.
1. Take more pictures. I am by all means a personal photographer, I love taking photos of what I like and I do well in showing you my point of view. I wish I could've taken a picture of driving POV, to remember what it was like to sit in that seat, but even then, nothing can beat the first person experience.
2. Knew about the VDIM and sport buttons and all that yadda yadda. Too bad I didn't really know about it until I read these reviews and threads.
3. Driven it further and longer to different roads. I wanted to experience it some more.
4. Spin some tires. I bet you I would've made that sales lady freak out. The girlfriend would be fine, she knows what I'm capable of.
5. That's a 416hp car I just drove! I didn't take a video either?!

There's something about cars that gets people to buy it.
Those are numbers. But the numbers game can only go so far.
I never had a passion for Toyotas and Lexi', only until I grew up and matured, did I had this deep understanding of why my family loves Toyota's.
One is reliability, that's the sole key to ownership. I had an uncle with a BMW and that car had electrical issues out the door. I don't want to deal with that. My Hilux is at 199,8xx miles on it as I type this up, on its original motor. I drive that 22RE harder than it was even designed for. Still daily on it like it's nothing.
Two is the quality of the vehicles. Nothing beats what Toyota produces.
Three is the attachment the ownership brings. I took my father's truck and he got himself a Tacoma. My mother had a highly faulty Honda Odyssey and in her most recent purchase, the quite surprising Camry. My sister has a 97 Camry, a four banger, you can forget oil changes and that car still takes her to work, school and home, no matter what.

What I demand from a vehicle, is the emotional connection. I love being connected to the road. I love communicating with it. The Hilux is in its own little world. I give it a W58 conversion and some nice 18x10's with tires to keep me planted for the way I can make it behave. The 07 Camry is a nice baseline for a modern day vehicle. I like the consistency and power delivery of that 2GR-FE and crisp 6spd automatic, but the FWD, stock suspension, and automatic just didn't give me what I wanted.
The IS-F brought me to a new chapter in vehicles, not just a level alone. I communicate with everything this car has to give with me, and its feedback is confident and supportive. I have this extension of myself that is the Hilux itself. I can express myself with it and this IS-F does the same for me.
It's comfortable, I trust it, it delivers. The fastest I've driven personally was a 375hp+ '04 STi and that was scary. Driving this 416hp IS-F is completely something I can completely control within its limits.

I was searching Autotrader and Cars.com to see if that same IS-F was still for sale (I recalled it was still online) and I'm glad to see that it has been sold. I saw the IS-F sitting in front of the dealership for a few days when I went home, I had to give it test drive.
I hope you all enjoyed my personal experience with the IS-F. I have had several autocross experiences and my most recent was with the truck on the NT-01's, and I placed 12th out of 114 drivers, that's competing with various high end cars paired with skillful drivers. The majority of which got better times were mainly porsches and serious vettes.
My experience can only be gauged by how much seat time I have overall, and my seat definitely enjoyed the time with that IS-F.
I would like to find one soon, hopefully on in Matador Red or Starfire Pearl white. I'll give it time, but I will get my IS-F. I'm merely obsessed with the engineering that's simply poured into these Toyota's!

To wrap this test drive up, I would like to conclude that this is everything I expected from the IS-F, and more.
Old 04-08-13, 05:35 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 04-08-13, 09:01 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ Wow, I want an ISF that has an EPA rated 18/27...lol
Old 04-10-13, 11:15 PM
jack7824
Driver School Candidate

Falls on its face when it comes to interior refinement? Just about every reputable journalist has made statements to the contrary when compared to the "germans". Even the M3 fanboys admit the ISF has the more desirable interior. Also, where can you purchase a new ISF for 55k? Autobytel just lost some credibility in my book.
Old 04-11-13, 08:09 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol... luxury and interior refinement are subjective, but FWIW BMW still uses outdated and plain orange lighting in all of their new cars including the M's......yuck.
Old 04-24-13, 08:33 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CarAdvice's Review on the 2013 Lexus ISF

http://www.caradvice.com.au/226020/2...us-is-f-review

It may be a hard-hitting contender against better-known German rivals, yet the Lexus IS-F remains a leftfield choice for those in the market for a high-performance luxury four-door.

It seems that a slew of luxury features, fiercely competitive pricing and a reputation for unassailable reliability are not quite enough for the Japanese maker to muscle in on the European game.

Instead, what we find on Australian roads is a relative scarcity of Lexus IS-F models compared with the ever-popular BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG.

The superior value proposition of the Lexus is nothing to be sniffed at. Priced at $126,300 (plus on-road costs) the IS-F undercuts the M3 Coupe (BMW no longer produces a four-door version) and C63 AMG by $28,800 and $28,600, respectively.

Lexus’s case is all the more convincing when you consider the only item on the IS-F options list is a ‘delete’ box for the electrically operated sunroof – a far cry from the endless list of costly extras peddled by its German counterparts.

Visually, the IS-F’s bodybuilding kit with bulging wheelarches and double-decker exhausts seems pretty much unchanged, but Lexus has continually applied various updates and improvements to its super-sedan since its 2008 launch.

The latest Lexus IS-F boasts a lightweight version of its mechanical limited slip differential (LSD), revised ZF Sachs shock absorbers and springs (front and rear), along with a wider track and wider wheel width.

Its naturally aspirated 5.0-litre V8 engine is now Euro 5 compliant and revisions to the electric power steering calibration has sharpened the steering response.

The IS-F now also gets self-restoring paint and two new exterior colours: white nova and sonic silver. Inside, the car’s satellite navigation has moved from DVD to a hard drive system – and it’s a lot quicker for it.

Despite easing its emissions output, the Yamaha-developed V8 still sends the same 311kW and 505Nm to the rear wheels.

There’s still a sense of occasion with the Lexus IS-F whenever you climb in behind the wheel and press the starter button. The high-tech V8 barks into life, but quickly settles into a smooth burble as you pull away.

It’s not as boisterous as the C63’s huge 6.2-litre engine, or quite as manic as the smaller, 4.0-litre V8 in the M3, but it produces a charismatic engine note nonetheless.

Driven in the automatic Drive mode there isn’t a lot of urgency with this car (in fact the IS-F is rather docile, requiring a proper bootful of throttle to get it moving with any ferocity), yet the upside is a wonderfully relaxed drive around town particularly when crawling along in stop/start traffic.

Unlike the dual-clutch automatic in the M3, the IS-F employs an eight-speed automatic transmission which isn’t as quick but does shift seamlessly.

There’s a Sport button on the steering wheel that moves the shift points higher up the rev range, but it still feels lazy under a light-to-medium throttle.

It’s not until you shove the shift lever over to the right (thereby engaging Manual mode) and pin the throttle that the full might of Lexus’s M3-fighter comes into play.

At about 3700rpm there’s a boom in the engine note, which is suitably amplified to near motorsport-style levels as the IS-F hurls itself forward at what feels like a blistering pace.

The iridescent-blue tachometer needle will happily spin out to a shade under 7000rpm, and if you’re not quick enough with the beautifully crafted metal paddleshifters, the engine will be bouncing off the rev limiter until you finally shift up a cog manually.

When you’re really moving, the gearshifts are lightning fast and accompanied by rousing throttle-blips on the downshifts.

The IS-F’s 0-100km/h sprint time is unchanged from 4.8 seconds (4.7sec for the M3 Coupe), as is its 270km/h top speed (electronically limited).

You’ll need to limit those full-throttle moments if fuel consumption is ever going to be a consideration with the IS-F. Rated at a combined 11.7 litres per 100km, it didn’t take us much to record a wallet-shredding 17.1L/100km during our test period.

The suspension revisions have definitely improved the ride and rear-end compliance over general road surfaces, but it still has problems absorbing smaller potholes efficiently.

However, there are no issues pushing the IS-F into corners under heavy loads, as the steering is well weighted and very quick right from dead centre.

There’s also loads of grip at the rear end thanks to a solid bite from the Bridgestone Potenzas, but get on the power too early out of a corner and you’ll need to be quick with the lock, as the stability control system allows a modicum of freedom before the orange warning light starts flickering on the dash.

Sadly, the front end doesn’t feel quite as settled as the M3’s (the effect of the car’s 1700kg-plus heft), so while you can still get on the power early, you’ll need to be smooth and consistent with the throttle.

Inside the Lexus you get the same familiar cabin that’s been around since 2008, bar some minor touch-ups. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as the sports leather seats remain some of the most comfortable in the business.

We also like the LF-A-inspired instrument panel with the oversize centre-mounted tachometer, complete with shift indicator lights – perfect for those track days.

The plastic slab encasing most of the switchgear on the centre stack has always felt out of place in the top-shelf IS-F model, but the latest updates to the satellite navigation system are a welcome improvement.

Lexus will launch the next generation IS range in June, but it will be well into 2014/15 before we are likely to see a fresh new IS-F variant join the line-up.

With a superior value proposition clearly not enough to pull the punters away from the German badges, Lexus will really need to pull out the stops next year if it wants to take on BMW’s next-generation M3 that’s also due in 2014.

Last edited by AussieISF; 04-24-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 09:59 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Lexus IS F: Toyota's Turning Point? - Ignition Episode 33

I hadn't seen this episode before, not sure if it was posted up previously but it was a good watch for anyone with 9 minutes to burn. Enjoy!

Old 05-14-13, 03:02 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think it was posted before...not sure where the thread is...

Quick Reply: All IS-F Reviews here