IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 01:04 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions Decisions

Like many of you... I am debating on whether trading in my IS350 for something faster and more performance oriented. I am trying to make up my mind if I would continue modifying my IS350 or wait to and get a IS-F,GTR, or M3 (would consider a c63 AMG but I hate mercedes' reliability, look, and interior is a bit meh for my taste and Mercedes is more for the older generations considering I am just a college student). I wouldn't want to continue to modifying my IS350 if I will end up trading it in in another 7-8 months. I have only had my IS350 for about five months but it was paid off in full... so no worries about all those issues and I know I would be taking a depreciation hit, but I do not care. Has anyone heavily modified a IS350 to be a competent track car?

Last edited by inxexisten; 10-26-07 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 01:28 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

I was in the same situation you are in. I decided to sell my IS350 (modified, see sig below) and just get a beater G35(which I hate).

If you were to modify your IS350 to a serious track car, I believe you would be spending upwards to another 15K in mods. which would basically equal out to a new IS-F.

I know of only one person on this forum that made his into a track car, although impressive, i would say it was rather fruitless, he has since moved on and sold his IS for a 335. The IS is going to be rather hard to do any forms of FI to it. Even the supercharger proved to be a failure and very expensive.

But if your looking for a SERIOUS track car, maybe the IS-F isn't what your looking for either
Old 10-26-07, 04:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a track car, the IS-F is appropriate.

However, if you just "want a faster car" for everyday driving, a modified IS350 shall do the trick.

What are your priorities?
Old 10-26-07, 09:23 PM
xxlbeerZ
Rookie

Now that the price seems like it's going to be higher than expected, I'd rather have and M3/C63 sedan for the same money, or a GT-R for a little more.

Originally, when the car was supposed to be ~$50k it piqued my interest. Not so much now.

I can't see why anyone would trade in their IS350 for this. I have a 350z and looking for something with more seating that includes some sport. The only reason I was looking at the Lexus (besides the fact I always like the IS350 design), was the seemingly bargain price that was being reported.

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 10-26-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 10:25 PM
is-fan
Driver

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Now that the price seems like it's going to be higher than expected, I'd rather have and M3/C63 sedan for the same money, or a GT-R for a little more.

Originally, when the car was supposed to be ~$50k it piqued my interest. Not so much now.

I can't see why anyone would trade in their IS350 for this. I have a 350z and looking for something with more seating that includes some sport. The only reason I was looking at the Lexus (besides the fact I always like the IS350 design), was the seemingly bargain price that was being reported.
I agree about the price. I was expecting a base price much closer to $50K than to $60K. I won't be interested either if it is close to $60K, unless I could get a big discount, but I don't think that will be likely. I guess we will still have to wait and see about official pricing, but preliminary reports are dissappointing.

Originally Posted by inxexisten
Like many of you... I am debating on whether trading in my IS350 for something faster and more performance oriented. I am trying to make up my mind if I would continue modifying my IS350 or wait to and get a IS-F,GTR, or M3 (would consider a c63 AMG but I hate mercedes' reliability, look, and interior is a bit meh for my taste and Mercedes is more for the older generations considering I am just a college student). I wouldn't want to continue to modifying my IS350 if I will end up trading it in in another 7-8 months. I have only had my IS350 for about five months but it was paid off in full... so no worries about all those issues and I know I would be taking a depreciation hit, but I do not car. Has anyone heavily modified a IS350 to be a competent track car?
I wish I had that kind of money when I was in college. Test drive all of them and pick the best. The price probably won't be much of an issue based on preliminary pricing (all about $60K). If the GT-R fits your lifestyle (no need for the extra seating), go for it.

Last edited by is-fan; 10-26-07 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 01:12 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I don't get why the *****ing about the price. If the performance is right up there with the competition why should you pay any less?

You are getting better service, probably more reliability..and though it might not be a consideration for most, better fuel economy. 3mpg better in the city and on the highway to be exact.
Old 10-27-07, 01:54 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I don't get why the *****ing about the price. If the performance is right up there with the competition why should you pay any less?

You are getting better service, probably more reliability..and though it might not be a consideration for most, better fuel economy. 3mpg better in the city and on the highway to be exact.
i agree... if the is-f and bimmer are the same exact price.. and is-f performs better then why should you be paying less...
Old 10-27-07, 09:17 PM
B2001AS
Driver

get SUPRA TT.
Old 10-27-07, 10:05 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

ah ic...15 more thousand... might as well spend an extra 20-30k to get a new car... leaning more towards a IS-F or GTR... cause of higher reliability expectancy ( don't want to end up wasting my weekends at the dealership cause I am too young to get a loaner car) I will just wait to test drive them. And I wouldn't want a supra tt... I will never drive a used car...too bad they stopped making them... although there are some rumors about a hybrid sports car from toyota makign its way in a few years...
Old 10-28-07, 08:45 AM
is-fan
Driver

For me, there are many more factors that I take into consideration than just performance, and I don't just buy something because it is cheaper either. At $60K base price, there are lots of options. Many people, including myself, may consider the C63 AMG or RS4 for a few grand more. I love the styling of both of these cars. The AWD of the RS4 is a big selling point and the AMG has bragging rights for power. Furthermore, it will be difficult for Lexus to win over buyers of other brands at that price point. Just my .02 opinion.

The reliability may be better for the IS-F, but that has yet to be proven, and it is the first model year. Isn't BMW, Mercedes, and Audi service pretty good? I think BMW covers all service expenses including brake rotors and pads under their regular warranty work.

Last edited by is-fan; 10-28-07 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 08:58 AM
xxlbeerZ
Rookie

It would make sense to keep the price down to break into a new segment, especially against stiff competition.

The car's styling and numbers will surely not lure away potential M3/C63/RS4 buyers. All they had was pricing.

I am not jumping the gun though, I will wait to see the IS-F in person and drive it. It could be the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 10-28-07, 09:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by B2001AS
get SUPRA TT.
Yup you can get a nice one for that price too probably with a stroker and it will own all the cars discussed here........
Old 10-28-07, 04:02 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have there been any credible comparisons done of the IS-F, C63 AMG, and RS4?
Old 10-29-07, 12:02 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Have there been any credible comparisons done of the IS-F, C63 AMG, and RS4?
not yet...I think all of us here in this forum will want to see one soon!
Old 10-29-07, 01:47 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is-fan
For me, there are many more factors that I take into consideration than just performance, and I don't just buy something because it is cheaper either. At $60K base price, there are lots of options. Many people, including myself, may consider the C63 AMG or RS4 for a few grand more. I love the styling of both of these cars. The AWD of the RS4 is a big selling point and the AMG has bragging rights for power. Furthermore, it will be difficult for Lexus to win over buyers of other brands at that price point. Just my .02 opinion.

The reliability may be better for the IS-F, but that has yet to be proven, and it is the first model year. Isn't BMW, Mercedes, and Audi service pretty good? I think BMW covers all service expenses including brake rotors and pads under their regular warranty work.
No, I just think you were hoping for something as good as/better than than the competition for a lot cheaper.

Welcome to 2007. Speed is expensive, how fast are you willing to spend?

p.s. IMO, the C63 is as over-styled as the IS-F. IMHO the only car in this segment that is aggressive yet still understated is the RS4, and they priced that more than just "a couple thousand" over the competition.

p.p.s pricing hasn't been released yet, all those 60k figures are just speculation. The NM limited Lexus is $68K. The driving school bit is about 5k with at least another 5k premium for the 'limited' status bit. I highly doubt the base MSRP of this car is going to be much more than $57,999.

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions