IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 04:37 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I don't think its total apples to oranges b/c with all these new performance cars (great for us) at around the same price, well, just look
Lets give ourselves a price of 60k (new cars)
335 loaded and chipped
new M3
IS-F
Cayman S base
S5 or S4
Corvette
Z4 M coupe/convert
350Z Nismo

Historically, we know the Vette is a performance car. HOWEVER, I am more than willing to lose by .3 seconds here and there to gain the luxury of a Lexus and stock BBS wheels and Brembo brakes.

I am a sucker for 4 doors that can simply compete or beat coupes!
I agree with most of this except the price. Where on earth are you buying a new ISF for $60k. I paid almost $70 for my 2012.

I have driven Vets my entire life. They are pure muscle. While the new Stingray has refinements, it is first and foremost the muscle car trying to turn sports car. It still has a way to go, IMO.

I noticed some of the folks in here are commenting on the ISF who are not ISF owners. I suggest that you get much more familiar with the F before you discount its performance against the Vet. While the new Vet claims sub 4-second times, I have also seen many drivers in YouTubes try to run sub 4 with no luck. It's all about the transfer of energy to the pavement. The F on a good day will run a 4.2.

We are evaluating two different animals. The only difference in my mind is that the F is less likely to seriously bite the owner. Predictability as you approach the limits of any car is top of mind for me.

And then it's a Chevy...and I have a BIG problem comparing Chevy service to Lexus.
Old 02-03-14, 04:56 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-03-14, 08:19 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, it looks like the C7 is continuing the C6's woes. Hopefully it's a first year issue for the C7, but C6s weren't exactly known for reliability and build quality, and that's up til the very end of its production cycle. So I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's definitely disappointing considering what a great performer it is. Oh and don't get me started on service. As a current Chevy owner I cringe every time I go to the dealership.
Old 03-24-14, 11:42 AM
SpasticG
Driver School Candidate

I've owned both now. I just traded in my '07 C6 base model with 80,000 miles on it for a used 2013 ISF with 7,000 miles. Who would buy an ISF and trade it in after 7,000 miles is beyond me, but their loss is my gain.

Like others have said, comparing two totally different animals. The C6 was an oversized go cart with a V8 in it. It's a pure sports car. It's raw and unpredictable at the limits. Mine was extremely reliable. I never had an issue with it beyond stuff that was my own fault (spun out and damaged the front fender).

The Lexus is a luxury sleeper race car. The interior is miles better than the C6. The seats were horrible in the C6 and while the interior was miles better than the C5 it still looks cheap compared to the ISF. The ISF seats are sooooo much better. Better bolster and lumbar support.

I think many on here would be surprised by how a ISF holds up against a base C6 car. You are going to lose some in the performance areas, but a lot less than many expect I reckon. Now comparing it to the new C7 is a different story. I haven't driven a C7, but I'm sure the new frame adds a whole new level of sophistication in the handling and build quality department.

All in all having driven both, I loved loved loved my C6, but am much happier with the ISF. It's almost as fast and handles almost as good (the weight difference is obviously very noticeable), but is leagues better in luxury, comfort, and practicality. The little you lose in power and performance is made up in sophistication and comfort.

And everyone in Houston has a C6 and soon C7 I'm sure. I never see an ISF. I'm really enjoying that. No one has any idea what this car is.

Last edited by SpasticG; 03-24-14 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 09:01 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my mom has a 2012 grand sport 100 year anniversary vette looks cool but to me its so damn long in the front so it scares me when I try parking it lol. ive never taken her car into the canyons so cant comment on that but im sure straight line it will take my F. I think the F kinda lags on the bottom end but has really good mid range power so if youre doing a rolling start you have a better shot against a vette.

this past weekend was cruising mullholand with a friend with a stang 5.0 (F way out handles his car in the canyons) and a friend with a frs (handles good but no power lol)

I came across a guy in a Ferrari 360 Modena early 2000's he saw me on his *** so he floored it and so did I we went through some of the turns really fast so he kept on it. He could not pull me out of the turns I was right on him power wise. On some of the tighter turns he could get a little gap from me but I was surprised for a few miles we did this and he couldn't ditch me.....
Old 03-25-14, 07:57 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems many American cars have issues keeping the power on the ground. I ran my friend's C5 Z06 from a roll 40, 60 and he pulled every time but stopped accelerating around a small turn. He told me every time he upshifted, the steering wheel would jerk. Scary. I imagine I'd have him from a dig since it'd be burning rubber halfway through 2nd.
Old 03-26-14, 03:06 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All I can say here is there is a lot of speculation, stereotyping and generalities posted here LOL

A C6 Vette will beat the IS-F almost always. C7, just forget about it it's like asking the dumb.

Yes IS-F can seat 4 and has a trunk and quality is top we all know that but seriously these cars should never be in the same sentence. To say otherwise shows how little you know about these cars.

The Vette does have history, go visit the Corvette Museum, some amazing machines there!
Old 03-26-14, 03:14 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
All I can say here is there is a lot of speculation, stereotyping and generalities posted here LOL

A C6 Vette will beat the IS-F almost always. C7, just forget about it it's like asking the dumb.

Yes IS-F can seat 4 and has a trunk and quality is top we all know that but seriously these cars should never be in the same sentence. To say otherwise shows how little you know about these cars.

The Vette does have history, go visit the Corvette Museum, some amazing machines there!
On the contrary about the C7, S4. Watch the video in this thread. A full bolted F is a match for a sports car like the Stingray.

But I KNOW that you are talking about Stock to Stock..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rac...-stingray.html
Old 03-26-14, 03:19 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^Wow seeing is believing I guess but what does that blue IS-F have cus I was not aware an IS-F can run 11's!

Great job to owner
Old 03-26-14, 03:22 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
^Wow seeing is believing I guess but what does that blue IS-F have cus I was not aware an IS-F can run 11's!

Great job to owner
Sikky headers, Borla exhaust and and drag radials. Thats it..I love the F..
Old 03-26-14, 09:23 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2014 ISF or 2014 Corvette Stingray?

i love the IS and F but since the F has not been granted a 2nd gen yet i would wait to see if a 2nd generation that at least has the looks of the 3rd generation IS. Stingray, well i have never ever liked corvettes until the new stingray came out, if you have no kids and or you can keep the stingray all to yourself as a weekend driver then a stingray, unless again we know what the new corvettes look like that are non stingray, do they still look like last years or did they do a complete redesign?
Old 03-27-14, 02:27 PM
SpasticG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by axis77
2014 ISF or 2014 Corvette Stingray?
unless again we know what the new corvettes look like that are non stingray, do they still look like last years or did they do a complete redesign?
C7 Stingray is a complete redesign from the C6.

There are no C7 non-stingrays. C7 = Stingray