IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 10:34 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inxexisten
the vette is a poor mans supercar... the figures they squeeze out are quite small for the amount of liters it has and its realiability and such is quite poor either way you need to compare it to supercars since it is technically considered a supercar despite the fact it costs usually1/3-1/5 the cost of the compeitition... a better match up would be the new skyline gtr coming out next year which will be more in the price range of the vette if you seek performance over luxury...
the IS-F is a premium luxury sports car
you need to compare apples to apples...

You clearly don't know what you're talking about in regard to the Vette. And you don't know the price of the GT-R nor do you know about its reliability.

By the way, the IS-F may be premium and possibly offers luxury but it's definitely NOT a "sports car."
Old 10-04-07, 11:12 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is-fan
I've heard about Vishnu and other tunes for the 335. Will BMW provide warranty for a chipped 335 if they do the install or does BMW have their own tuning that bumps power without voiding the warranty? I don't think I would be comfortable with that kind of mod unless it had a full warranty.
the chip is undetectable after removal. if for any reason you need warranty work done, take off the chip first. it's a 10 min process. there's a full step by step video on the website....
Old 10-04-07, 11:18 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The honest truth is, if you want inexpensive, and real go-fast, you should be looking at a Viper
if you want real go fast in a straight line only, nothing is cheaper than a blown LS1 Fbody (camaro or firebird)
Old 10-04-07, 11:22 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
two way different cars, Z06 would be punishing to drive everyday but excellent on the track, IS-F would be great to drive everyday and great on the track (not excellent as the Z06)
the ISF will get raped by a regular C6, lets not even talk about the Z06.
Old 10-04-07, 11:42 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
two way different cars, Z06 would be punishing to drive everyday

Really?! How do you know this? Do you own a Z06? Have you driven one? If not, did someone tell you that the Z06 "would be punishing to drive everyday??"
Old 10-04-07, 11:45 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

heh...you guys crack me up...
Old 10-04-07, 11:49 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MMD
Really?! How do you know this? Do you own a Z06? Have you driven one? If not, did someone tell you that the Z06 "would be punishing to drive everyday??"
buddy loaned me his Z06 for an entire weekend. the car is freakishly fast, feels almost like a liter bike. I don't know if I'd call it "punishing," but I'd definitely not want it as a daily driver.
Old 10-04-07, 12:03 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

<<<I love the Cayman S. Great car. Terrible, terrible price. But great car.

You shouldn't be too quick to put down a Vette. For about $20,000 less than your Cayman's starting price, the Vette has way more HP and torque and can easily keep up with your "sports car." Not bad for an American-made "sporty car!" >>>

I sure agree that Porsche has a high price on the Cayman, at least when compared to the Boxster. Of course Porsche is profitable, while GM is

I would never put down a Vette...it is the great American Sporty car, but IMHO, to be a real Sports car, you need the smooth and crisp handling that Porsche does so well. The Vette will more than keep up in a straight line, but not in serious twistees. That's the difference, for me. It's all in the trade-offs....Formula 1 vs NASCAR.

As for a Sports sedan, it's looking likeLexus wants to do it as well anybody. If the IS-F is as good as early indications, lots more than 500 will be coming our way, and to be successful, Lexus MUST smooth out the special custom ordering process, just as BMW and Porsche already have!!!

Old 10-04-07, 05:24 PM
TypeX
Driver School Candidate

I think that they will be very close in respect to 1/4 mile.
Old 10-08-07, 11:53 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linh811
the ISF will get raped by a regular C6, lets not even talk about the Z06.
Regular C6 is about 12.7 in the 1/4. The ISF is expected to do that and probably even better. However, the new C6 (2008?) will have 430HP. It will probably take the ISF but I wouldn't say it would "rape" The ISF. At least not in a straight line.
Old 10-08-07, 12:05 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Regular C6 is about 12.7 in the 1/4. The ISF is expected to do that and probably even better. However, the new C6 (2008?) will have 430HP. It will probably take the ISF but I wouldn't say it would "rape" The ISF. At least not in a straight line.
The "newer" C6 will have more power, torque, and much less weight. In a straight line it might be close, but add in some corners and watch the ISF disappear in its rearview mirror.

If the ISF is really going cost $67k, I'd just as rather save up some more dough for the LFA, or take the cheap route and chip a 335. A chipped 335 is going to be much closer in performance to the ISF than the ISF to a C6.
Old 10-08-07, 09:08 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
The "newer" C6 will have more power, torque, and much less weight. In a straight line it might be close, but add in some corners and watch the ISF disappear in its rearview mirror.

If the ISF is really going cost $67k, I'd just as rather save up some more dough for the LFA, or take the cheap route and chip a 335. A chipped 335 is going to be much closer in performance to the ISF than the ISF to a C6.
what is the max a chipped 335i can do? Like horse power and torque? Does handling change much with the added power? How about braking system it has on standard? Thanks!
Old 10-08-07, 09:12 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Does handling change much with the added power? How about braking system it has on standard? Thanks!
for 99.99% of ISF drivers these qualities won't matter. ever seen a miata lap m3's, rs4's, 911's, and vette's on a track? I have
Old 10-08-07, 11:14 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chirodan
I have to disagree about the material and build quality not being up to par with lexus. I can't say about BMW, AUDI, or Porsche b/cuz I have never owned one. Having owned both the corvette & lexus, I can honestly say I don't see any better quality in the Lexus. How is it build any better than the corvette??? What materials are better??? The little wood trim???
I like that it is quieter, but the corvette is not meant to be quiet. I like the ventilated seats to .

1. And as far as the viper radio being in the caravan, Lexus does that to doesn't it with Toyota?
2. The toyota prius have push button start/stop to. So does the nissan altima and others.
3. The toyota prius also has the little button to lock the car from the outside "smart key" so you don't need to use the remote.
4. The toyota prius also has the back up camera like the lex.
5. Doesn't toyota also use the 6 disc changer in the dash like the IS?

I didn't buy the IS350 b/cuz it was "luxurious", I bought it b/cuz it looked different than other cars. It looked aggressive, and it was pretty fast.
Oh, and I liked the little wood trim .
I see your point but you are comparing your top model corvette $60K Corvette ('01) model) against an entry line lexus ($36K-$40K) car.. Have you ever sat in an 2GS? the quality and build in this 2GS car is far greater than the 2IS or any corvette.. I have owned a C4 and C5 and many of my friends own C6's. I even drove a Z06 recently- and though the interior is "nicer" I would have to diasgree that its equal to Lexus - yeah equal to an Entry Lexus (your IS) I can believe that.. But if you compared price wise to an $65K Z06 to a $65K LS460 or even a $50K 3GS in terms of build quality - Lexus will win in terms of quality everytime. Though you point is valid - but its only partially correct
Old 10-09-07, 01:16 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Has anyone done a serious analysis of what we know about the IS-F compared to the very impressive 2008 Audi S5? Coupe, all wheel drive, manual transmission, 0-60 in under 5 seconds, no stacked exhausts , aluminum suspension with five links on each side, V-8 354 HP at 7,000 rpm and 325 pound-feet of torque at 3,500 rpm so lots of low end grunt, and a
0.91g skid pad with a slalom speed of 68.6 mph.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121924

Very impressive....and it looks great

Quick Reply: IS-F vs. Corvette