IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 06:15 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No turbo yet, but a 5900 for a TTkit it's not to far off. Yeah don't even get me started about these f'n tires, the sizes run 245/45/17 or 235/45/18 anything bigger and you need to roll the fenders. Just garbage IMO by GM. If I didn't have two car seats in the back (which they fit like it's a four door car BTW) I would take any of those cars over the GTO except maybe the Viper, I just don't think that I could live with it as a DD. If you have never seen the inside of the Goat you would be amazed at the fit and finish, it is almost if not equal to some of the Euro brands.
Old 09-24-07, 06:34 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

the vette is a poor mans supercar... the figures they squeeze out are quite small for the amount of liters it has and its realiability and such is quite poor either way you need to compare it to supercars since it is technically considered a supercar despite the fact it costs usually1/3-1/5 the cost of the compeitition... a better match up would be the new skyline gtr coming out next year which will be more in the price range of the vette if you seek performance over luxury...
the IS-F is a premium luxury sports car
you need to compare apples to apples...
Old 09-27-07, 02:41 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started this thread, so let me elaborate a bit more. I know the IS-F and Vette are not apples to apples. I've always wanted a Vette. I love my IS 250. With the IS-f coming out, I figured I could trade in the IS 250 for it and not get the Vette. I could have an IS 250 that performs close to a Vette without spending another 50k. I'd only have spent about another 20k upgrading cars. I would never buy a Vette for a DD. I'd drive the IS-f as a DD. This is the feedback I was looking for. I can afford both to buy a Vette and keep the 250, but I'd like to put in a pool as well. Basically, I'm bouncing back and forth. I may just deprive myself and buy the new C7 when it comes out. Just didn't want everyone thinking I was putting these 2 cars in the same class.
Old 09-27-07, 03:47 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

is-f + pool FTMFW!
Old 09-27-07, 04:50 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
No turbo yet, but a 5900 for a TTkit it's not to far off. Yeah don't even get me started about these f'n tires, the sizes run 245/45/17 or 235/45/18 anything bigger and you need to roll the fenders. Just garbage IMO by GM. If I didn't have two car seats in the back (which they fit like it's a four door car BTW) I would take any of those cars over the GTO except maybe the Viper, I just don't think that I could live with it as a DD. If you have never seen the inside of the Goat you would be amazed at the fit and finish, it is almost if not equal to some of the Euro brands.

I was actually asking if you have a "tub" kit, I have had alot of Vette and Impala customers do them, it allows you to get more clearance under the car to run wider widths. You should look into it. Since the GTO is a Holden, I find it easy to believe the interior fit and finish are top notch.
Old 10-03-07, 08:32 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I was actually asking if you have a "tub" kit, I have had alot of Vette and Impala customers do them, it allows you to get more clearance under the car to run wider widths. You should look into it. Since the GTO is a Holden, I find it easy to believe the interior fit and finish are top notch.
No, I've never heard of a "tub" kit for the GTO, I will have ask around.
Old 10-04-07, 06:57 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inxexisten
the vette is a poor mans supercar... the figures they squeeze out are quite small for the amount of liters it has and its realiability and such is quite poor either way you need to compare it to supercars since it is technically considered a supercar despite the fact it costs usually1/3-1/5 the cost of the compeitition... a better match up would be the new skyline gtr coming out next year which will be more in the price range of the vette if you seek performance over luxury...
a) The engine that's in the Corvette is one of the best in the world today. Look it up.
b) Prove to me that a C6 corvette is poor in reliability.
c) Skyline GT-R is coming out on an unknown platform and we have zero data on it, yet you claim it to be more reliable? As far as performance goes, the Skyline GT-R is much heavier than people expected so the Vette is probably going to outperform it for less money.

The only bit that I agree with you on is that this is indeed an apples-oranges comparison. One is a sports car, the other a sports sedan. Write down your priorities and you should be able to pick one over the other.

Last edited by rosskoss; 10-04-07 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-04-07, 07:09 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by inxexisten
What makes it a poor man's supercar?
The GT-R and IS-F are yet to be proven.
Both GT-R and C6 will own the IS-F in performance.
Old 10-04-07, 07:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

two way different cars, Z06 would be punishing to drive everyday but excellent on the track, IS-F would be great to drive everyday and great on the track (not excellent as the Z06)
Old 10-04-07, 08:32 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

...One is a sports car, the other a sports sedan. Write down your priorities and you should be able to pick one over the other.[/quote]

Quantifying your priorities beforehand is the only way to go. The IS-F will be a very hot Sports Sedan; and the Corvette is a vey nice Sporty Car; but if you want a real Sports Car for about the same money, try driving a Porsche Cayman S. Or you can just "look it up".

Old 10-04-07, 08:35 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, as much as I love Lexus, the IS-F would get owned. Corvettes can really take off whether it is from a stop or at speed.
Old 10-04-07, 08:37 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

this is an idiotic comparison. might as well be comparing an escalade to a hayabusa.

I don't care what they do to the ISF, the C6 will still be running circles around it on ANY track. Let's not even mention the mod potential of the vette.... Of course the vette is a GM vehicle.....
Old 10-04-07, 09:42 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

2008 ("base") Vette is now 426HP and tons of torque. Hard to justify the money to spring for the Z06 since it's a lot more money for 75 more HP.

Comparing the IS-F to the Vette is only a good idea for Internet forums. There's no value in doing it. If you can't decide on which one to buy you need more help than what we can offer you here.

They're two different cars with two different purposes and sets of capabilities.

And for those of you who are talking about GM quality as if it sucks - you're flat out wrong. You don't know GM quality anymore - you're using old thinking and you obviously haven't owned a GM product in recent years.

Lexus makes a great product (I own two) but the Vette is a world-class car in terms of quality, performance and value. Try to find another vehicle in the world that will deliver what the Vettes will for that price. You can't. And the Vette is definitely capable of being a daily driver - it's that comfortable.

PS: I wouldn't be too quick to talk about the IS-F carrying four adults in comfort. None of the IS cars can carry four adults in comfort unless everyone of them is about 5'6" or shorter. These cars aren't even as big as an Accord so don't get too carried away about people-carrying comfort.
Old 10-04-07, 09:44 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fantom
...One is a sports car, the other a sports sedan. Write down your priorities and you should be able to pick one over the other.
Quantifying your priorities beforehand is the only way to go. The IS-F will be a very hot Sports Sedan; and the Corvette is a vey nice Sporty Car; but if you want a real Sports Car for about the same money, try driving a Porsche Cayman S. Or you can just "look it up".

[/QUOTE]

I love the Cayman S. Great car.

Terrible, terrible price. But great car.

You shouldn't be too quick to put down a Vette. For about $20,000 less than your Cayman's starting price, the Vette has way more HP and torque and can easily keep up with your "sports car." Not bad for an American-made "sporty car!"
Old 10-04-07, 09:51 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The honest truth is, if you want inexpensive, and real go-fast, you should be looking at a Viper (assuming you can fit in it comfortably.) There really isn't anything out there as competent for under $100k.
Sure there is and it's been talked about throughout the thread... The Corvette, Z06 to be more precise... Last I chcked it was under 100k, Just as fast as the viper with better handling.

Quick Reply: IS-F vs. Corvette