IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 09:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

My pick is the IS-F. Why? Because it will still be as reliable 10 years from now like it was from day one.
The following users liked this post:
jst1MorCar (02-13-21)
Old 09-17-07, 10:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

^^that's a big gamble I wouldn't want to bet on. The electronic systems, sensors, and gee whiz gizmos on this car are too many to expect it will be fault free for 10 years.
Old 09-17-07, 11:44 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Our Project C5 is 3150lb and 350hp and e46 M3' are toast so with that being said, I have serious doubts a IS-F can hold a torch to a C6. Nor is it intended to, go with the IS if you need the space, if not C6 all day
+1 on that one.

The regular C6 coupe is a very low 4.x 0 to 60 mph and has a top speed of 182 or 184 mph.... something like that.

The C6 Z06 is rated @ 3.7 seconds 0 to 60 mph and a top speed of 198 mph.

Have you been inside a C6 corvette? They are pretty nice inside. Depending on the options, I think they are just as nice as our lexus cars.

Oh and that comment on not being as reliable as a daily driver is just plain wrong... My Z06 was a daily driver for a # of years and it was just fine.

If I wouldn't have needed the extra room, I would have bought a C6 corvette instead of the IS350. The lexus seemed like a good compromise at the time.

If you don't need the room.... Corvette all day long. Especially if you are going to mod it.
Old 09-17-07, 11:53 PM
LexFather

I don't think its total apples to oranges b/c with all these new performance cars (great for us) at around the same price, well, just look
Lets give ourselves a price of 60k (new cars)
335 loaded and chipped
new M3
IS-F
Cayman S base
S5 or S4
Corvette
Z4 M coupe/convert
350Z Nismo

Historically, we know the Vette is a performance car. HOWEVER, I am more than willing to lose by .3 seconds here and there to gain the luxury of a Lexus and stock BBS wheels and Brembo brakes.

I am a sucker for 4 doors that can simply compete or beat coupes!
Old 09-18-07, 06:15 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be sold on the Vette, and keep my IS250 for the DD. I just miss my sports car (had a 350Z). I miss shifting. And yes I have sat in a vette...Z06 included and it feels like your in a rocket ship.
Old 09-18-07, 06:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

As much as the IS-F will be a very cool sedan, it can never be what the Corvette is, even if you consider only mechanical performance. Add to this the iconic status of the Corvette, and it's an easy choice if you are interested in a very fun drive and don't have a need to provide space for more than one passenger.

I just would not expect my Corvette to be trouble-free. That too is unrealistic, and my sources are not anecdotal, they're owners and former owners. The honest truth is, if you want inexpensive, and real go-fast, you should be looking at a Viper (assuming you can fit in it comfortably.) There really isn't anything out there as competent for under $100k.
Old 09-18-07, 10:15 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I just figure for 45k-50k, it's tough to beat a Corvette. I want a Sunday missile and it seems the Vette is the best bang for the buck. The only thing I dislike about the Vette is you see them at every stoplight. That being said, is there really anything else that can compete with the corvette in performance and price in stock form? Nothing really comes to mind.
Old 09-18-07, 02:51 PM
LexFather

Honestly, if I buy a Vette, reliablity is not a priority. WIth the IS-F, its a bonus to have.

Just the thought of owning the first Lexus "F" model gets me warm inside, lol. Corvettes I love as well but it simply won't be near as rare.
Old 09-18-07, 02:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I just figure for 45k-50k, it's tough to beat a Corvette. I want a Sunday missile and it seems the Vette is the best bang for the buck. The only thing I dislike about the Vette is you see them at every stoplight. That being said, is there really anything else that can compete with the corvette in performance and price in stock form? Nothing really comes to mind.
For the money, it has no peer.
Old 09-18-07, 03:40 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think its total apples to oranges b/c with all these new performance cars (great for us) at around the same price, well, just look
Lets give ourselves a price of 60k (new cars)
335 loaded and chipped
new M3
IS-F
Cayman S base
S5 or S4
Corvette
Z4 M coupe/convert
350Z Nismo

Historically, we know the Vette is a performance car. HOWEVER, I am more than willing to lose by .3 seconds here and there to gain the luxury of a Lexus and stock BBS wheels and Brembo brakes.

I am a sucker for 4 doors that can simply compete or beat coupes!
From your list I'd go for the chipped 335i. In a 1/4 mile run it wouldn't surprise me at all if it outran the ISF.
Old 09-18-07, 06:50 PM
is-fan
Driver

I've heard about Vishnu and other tunes for the 335. Will BMW provide warranty for a chipped 335 if they do the install or does BMW have their own tuning that bumps power without voiding the warranty? I don't think I would be comfortable with that kind of mod unless it had a full warranty.

Originally Posted by linh811
From your list I'd go for the chipped 335i. In a 1/4 mile run it wouldn't surprise me at all if it outran the ISF.
Old 09-18-07, 07:24 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, they're really different cars with just simliar track numbers (depending on which Corvette). I think it was a Chevy truck the Cyclone, if I remember correctly, it did 0-60 in like 4.9 seconds, but would you really compare a pickup to a "sports" car? IS-F is a very nice, small sedan to push and ride in luxury. Corvette is just a big brute and mash and take out your aggressions on the road. No matter how well it's made, the Corvette will never been thought of as luxurious, no matter how well the interior is now...

If I only had $60K, I would buy the IS-F. If I had $200K, I would buy both...
Old 09-18-07, 07:38 PM
350ripper
Driver

i test drove a cts-v (same engine as the vette) i thought that there was something wrong with the car. it was so damn loud. it sounded like the world was coming to an end. most people drive their cars every day, if that is the case then i would go lexus
Old 09-18-07, 07:50 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chirodan

Have you been inside a C6 corvette? They are pretty nice inside. Depending on the options, I think they are just as nice as our lexus cars.

Oh and that comment on not being as reliable as a daily driver is just plain wrong... My Z06 was a daily driver for a # of years and it was just fine.

If I wouldn't have needed the extra room, I would have bought a C6 corvette instead of the IS350. The lexus seemed like a good compromise at the time.

If you don't need the room.... Corvette all day long. Especially if you are going to mod it.

You know what it is? Until you develop a working knowledge of these cars (day in and day out), you can never really truly KNOW them. When Stefan said he wanted a Vette, I laughed like he said he wanted a Yugo. But after driving / riding in it a few times, I developed a whole new level of respect for the Corvette (and other American Sports cars). It handles like its on rails, rides well (with conventional 20" tires instead of standard 17/18" runflats), and as you said has tons of creature comforts (climate control, digital cruise, yadda yadda). Also he's never had a reliability issue, and he drives the car like he stole it from someone who stole it!!!! lol

I always thought a 300hp or 350hp car is a 300hp or 350hp car, but thats not the case. These purpose built sports cars just run circles around luxury cars, no matter how much HP. Its such an intangible quality that can not be summed up with stats are HP / TQ figures. When the cars get on the road, one car just simply leaves the other (in the hands of a capable driver). Perhaps its aerodynamics, or gearing or just the engineering, I dunno.
Old 09-18-07, 07:58 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The honest truth is, if you want inexpensive, and real go-fast, you should be looking at a Viper (assuming you can fit in it comfortably.) There really isn't anything out there as competent for under $100k.
The thing about the Viper is, it has such a singular focus that its lacking as a all around car. Its SOLELY intended for driving thrills, plus its such a HAND FULL to drive. (I had the damn thing sideways across 2 lanes about 12minutes off the dealership lot!!!).

The Viper is more of a hop in and drive for a hour or 2 then park, whereas the Vette can easily be a daily driver. I love the car but I would never recommend it as a Vette alternative. You have to be committed to some punishment in order to reap the performance rewards. And I have no IDEA how big guys fit in these things. I'm 200lbs with change in my pockets and its snug for me (east to west). Leg room is actually good.

You are right about the value though, keeps pace (or stays ahead of) machinery costing 2.5 times as much (ie, 250k Lambo Gallardo)

Quick Reply: IS-F vs. Corvette