IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Are all Fs prone to front inner tire edge wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 11:23 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Coming from the 3IS section... I just installed coils and it created an undesired camber in the front (and to a lesser extent, the rear) of the car. I talked to the Figs vendor on here and he recommended me the bushing for the inner tire wear as well. So from what I've gathered, this won't help with negative camber but it will help with tire wear? How does that work? I thought negative camber and inner tire wear when hand in hand?
Both toe and camber impact the interior wear on a tire.

The Fig bushing helps stop the sloppyness of the "rear" of the Lower Control Arm.

During hard braking, the fluid filled bushing allows the rear control arm to move and causes the front tires to "toe out" or open up to the outside of the car.

Camber wear, while impacting the inside of the tire, also impacts the middle of the tire.

Here is a good example:

Old 05-13-15, 11:24 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Coming from the 3IS section... I just installed coils and it created an undesired camber in the front (and to a lesser extent, the rear) of the car. I talked to the Figs vendor on here and he recommended me the bushing for the inner tire wear as well. So from what I've gathered, this won't help with negative camber but it will help with tire wear? How does that work? I thought negative camber and inner tire wear when hand in hand?
The front toe setting from the factory AND the factory specs is the true culprit for stock ISF inner tire wear.

Camber can do it as well lowered, if you lower to the point that it starts to change the front suspension angles that an alignment cannot bring it back.

I had the SPC ball joints installed that allow enough adjustment to get the camber back within spec for the drop that I wanted on my coils.
Old 05-13-15, 02:13 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the input guys... unfortunately, we do not have front camber kits for the 3IS yet... would you guys absolutely recommend these brushings? Sounds like there are no downsides...

Also, what is the difference between these two products (aka, which one do I get for my front suspension)?:
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=286
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=138
Old 05-13-15, 02:21 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

The only downside seems to be cost.

IMO - if your main concern is tire wear, adjusting your alignment specs (specifically the toe) will most certainly solve your problem. If you want a less squishy LCA bushing that will improve overall performance and will reduce toe out during (hard) braking add the Figs.
Old 05-13-15, 02:29 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

thx op for bringing this up. thought i was the only one with this issue.
Old 05-13-15, 05:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I have even wear for my driving style now. The problem is, the squishy bushings will always deflect heavily, so everyone will need slightly different settings for best tire wear. Depends on your driving style, road quality, specific tires, etc.

Getting the poly bushings takes the guesswork out. Set toe slightly out (0.04 degrees) and you're golden.

BTW, this for all 2IS, not just IS F.
Old 05-13-15, 07:26 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't there 2 or 3 lca bushing options by Figs?
How would you know which is best for you?
Old 05-13-15, 11:08 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 90 durometer is the one you want.
Old 05-14-15, 09:57 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hahahaf
Aren't there 2 or 3 lca bushing options by Figs?
How would you know which is best for you?
Yup, installed in new brackets, installed in used brackets, without brackets, and with offset holes as well. I don't think they have the softer bushings any more, but they used to offer the hard (90 durometer) and a softer bushing as well.

Unless there is something funny going on with your car that you need the offset bushings the easy choice is to buy the 90 durometer, installed in brackets (new or used is your choice) and do the install yourself.
Old 05-14-15, 01:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

so do you still use factory alignment specs with the new bushings or is that changed as well?? Thanks
Old 05-14-15, 02:54 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
so do you still use factory alignment specs with the new bushings or is that changed as well?? Thanks
All the bushing does is keeps the flex in the front lower suspension to a minimum, it does not change any of the angles in terms of alignment.

I used the specs that have been posted here several times.

The factory toe settings are not the best unless you like your inner tires wearing away.

The attachment is not mine, but I attached a copy that I kept and used when I had my alignment done after my mods were installed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Alignment 6-28-2010.pdf (16.4 KB, 355 views)

Last edited by Beachtyme; 05-14-15 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 06:39 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie
The 90 durometer is the one you want.
the 90 #1?
or the 90 # 2?

are the rears even necessary?
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=156
Old 05-14-15, 07:24 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hahahaf
the 90 #1?
or the 90 # 2?

are the rears even necessary?
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=156
This is the one with the bracket. I only bought for the front

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=235
Old 05-20-15, 01:09 PM
swoo350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I didn't want to start another thread about this. Anyways, my first set of tire actually blew up because of this (I believe) inner side wall was all ripped and worn out however I didn't see any of the cords like most people are. I bought new summers NItto NT555 245/35 and 275/30's and I was told I definitely needed an alignment. Before my alignment, there was a slight pull to the right but the steering wheel seemed to be straight. After my alignment I'd have to hold the steering wheel to the left a lot more than before and it still pulls to the right and now my car rides like its 'floating'

My question is, would the negative camber on LF be caused by something else or do I apply to the people that need to install the LCA bushings?

Thanks
Old 05-21-15, 08:36 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by swoo350
Hey guys, I didn't want to start another thread about this. Anyways, my first set of tire actually blew up because of this (I believe) inner side wall was all ripped and worn out however I didn't see any of the cords like most people are. I bought new summers NItto NT555 245/35 and 275/30's and I was told I definitely needed an alignment. Before my alignment, there was a slight pull to the right but the steering wheel seemed to be straight. After my alignment I'd have to hold the steering wheel to the left a lot more than before and it still pulls to the right and now my car rides like its 'floating'

My question is, would the negative camber on LF be caused by something else or do I apply to the people that need to install the LCA bushings?

Thanks
Its only .5 degrees and the caster is increased as well on that side. Its likely that the rear bushing could resolve an issue but remember an alignment is a single data point snapshot. If your factory bushing is worn it would impact the dynamic aspects of how the car handles on the road. It only takes 5mm-10mm to cause the changes you see in static alignment. take a picture of the rear bushing on that side and look for wrinkles in it.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Quick Reply: Are all Fs prone to front inner tire edge wear?