IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First time at the track in the F today

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 07:26 PM
kevintari
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time at the track in the F today

It was a perfect day to head out to Auto Club Speedway to run the Roval with some nice cool temps here in SoCal toady, I've run this course a dozen times, but this was the first time in the F.

First of all, and I know this is pretty obvious, but test driving a car hard on the streets in no way compares to a high-speed, technical run on a track. I was in for all kinds of surprises from what I expected with the F's (it's a 2011) stiff street ride.

For comparison, I have been driving a Lotus Elise on the Roval the past year- so even though the cars are NOTHING alike, I still had that sensory memory locked up in my brain. The first session unlocked that pretty quickly, and was a little nerve-wracking...the car felt huge compared to what I was used to in every way- especially the braking. But the power on the straightaways was insane, almost no one could catch me. Flying down the long straight into turn 1 was awesome, but as soon as I hit the big bank it felt like the car was going to float right off the track. Yikes, didn't expect that. I had sport mode on and left both of the nanny modes on as well, and I could feel all the little nudges and adjustments it was making, it was really a strange sensation. Then about half way through the session I started to smell my brakes- uh oh, maybe leaving the ESC and TC on was a mistake. I ended a little early to let them cool.

As luck would have it, there was another F driver who was more experienced in the car than I was, and I had a chance to talk with him between sessions. Do I need to brake earlier? No, I brake late, the brakes can more than handle the car. ESC and TC on or off? Leave them on, you'll be sorry if you don't, especially your first time. Does your car feel "floaty" on the bank? Yes compared to the Lotus, but trust the car, you'll be fine....and a few more questions.

That gave me a lot more confidence going into the next session, it was like night and day. I had a lot of fun. I still took it a little easy while I learned the car's manners, managed a 2:10 lap at a top speed of 132mph...plenty of room to improve.

The EBC yellow stuff pads performed really well. I was much more aggressive on them as the day went on with very little fade toward the end. The smell went away, I think it was just new pads and rotors. The stock Protenzas were very respectable too, nice grip. The ESC did save my butt noticeably one time- but no tire would have gotten me out of that. The DCT sport wheel felt great too.

Overall it was a blast to drive and performed extremely well...I'm really happy with this car on the track, it's going to be a lot of run to learn to drive it even better. If you haven't been to the track in your F and have the chance to, do it!

Pics coming soon...
Old 02-21-15, 07:53 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Im sooo jealous...i want to track my car as well. I would gone today but i had plans already. Ive searched and they have the speedventure around may. i want to do the inside track for sports car. Post sime pix or video if you can.
Old 02-21-15, 08:15 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got my first track day on Friday, I can't wait!!
Old 02-21-15, 08:19 PM
teamisf
Driver School Candidate

Man, I'd love to track my car... Sounds like so much fun!
Old 02-21-15, 09:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool buddy. Did you take any video? Welcome to the track addiction.
Old 02-21-15, 10:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like a fun experience. And great for you to gain some insights with another IS F owner. Do you know if he a member here as well?
Old 02-21-15, 10:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I had a lot of trouble getting the car where I wanted it with VSC on. I lost my brakes in the third session of my first day, and turned it off to prevent losing the brakes again. I never run with it on now.

For reference, I was running Brembo LCF and Carbotech XP12/XP10. If you are not familiar with the car's limits, the nannies will let you do things you should never, ever do.
Old 02-22-15, 01:46 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

time to throw some suspension parts and engine mods on to beat that m5!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-22-15, 06:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I would always leave TSC on until your skill improves enough to where its actually holding you back.
Old 02-22-15, 06:52 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

track control will destroy front brake pads and rotors on this car on a track
Old 02-22-15, 07:22 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to a whole new world man. You're going to get addicted!
Old 02-22-15, 08:16 AM
kevintari
Driver

I'm already addicted! This is my third car on the track in a few years and I love it.

Here's some video from the last couple of laps before the burning brake smell (not sure why I can't get this or my YT video to imbed in the post, anyone?)...

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...20Speedway.mp4

And a few photos-

My buddy and I with his M5:

And a few other interesting cars that we re on the track:

Also noted, my oil temps stayed very cool...didn't get all the way to the high end like a lot of comments I'd heard here. Maybe the weather helped?

I'll be taking off the wheels today and inspecting the brakes, will report back with the wear.

I'm thinking it could use just a little lowering to help overcome that floaty feeling at high speed, any suggestions?
Old 02-22-15, 08:48 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like you had an awesome time! I'm going to hit up the track at some point, just to learn my car even better. I don't see it being a regular activity for me as having young kids and other hobbies means I won't be able to devote the time to tracking regularly, but I do think it is something I need to do.

That Carrera White GT3 is fantastic. With a skilled driver I bet that car was destroying the track.
Old 02-22-15, 12:40 PM
kevintari
Driver

Didn't have enough time today to take the wheels off, but from what I can see the pads look like they've got some good wear on them...will report back when I have more info.
Old 02-22-15, 01:18 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Are u running oem tire set up or did u change u upsize tires? Are running oem brake pad and rotors as well or u have aftermarket ones?

Quick Reply: First time at the track in the F today