IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

After 363 days of ownership, 12,247 miles, and 6 track days I'm in love with the ISF!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 11:39 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome stuff, hope I can pick your brain some more about ISF tracking, season is approaching and I need to test this baby out!
Old 02-11-15, 01:03 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another 200k? I'm certainly loving mine that much to keep her as long as she runs.
Old 02-11-15, 01:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bbong
Awesome stuff, hope I can pick your brain some more about ISF tracking, season is approaching and I need to test this baby out!
Im here for you bud. Just ask away. You will love it !!!!

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
another 200k? I'm certainly loving mine that much to keep her as long as she runs.
I always swear I wil keep them but I think Im going to keep her once shes paid off and buy a HUGE luxury car like an LS or Panamera. I dont want to give up track days and theres no way Im hitting the track in a 4400 Porsche sedan. ......unless I buy a CTSV, but even then I never see them at the tracks Ive been on . In all honesty Im the only sedan on the track usually. * there was adude this last time in an ancient bone stock Maxima )
Old 02-11-15, 04:08 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Beautifully written. The duality of the IS F makes it most appealing. It doesn't have the same respect as others in its class, but it does compete quite well, offering a greater all around package than any other could.
The lack of respect for the IS-F was due to it’s early life still casting a shadow over it.

I remember the hype when it was still a rumor... the IS500 was coming and it was going to lay down the law. Sadly, it came out swinging and missed for the most part, it matched the other super saloons in acceleration, that was never the problem. What hurt it was it’s rock hard suspension, lackluster steering feel and confidence zapping suspension tuning.. some journalists even called it down right scary. The press was not very kind to it and that's what stuck in people’s mind till this day.

The chassis was more than capable as evident by what Lexus did to the IS-F in 2011. The 2008 IS-F was getting hammered at the track vs. the M3 and C63, heck even a 2014 IS350 F-Sport was pulling in similar lap times at VIR which is a bit insulting.

The updated 2011 IS-F shaved nearly 9 second off it’s VIR Lighting Lap time, leaving both the C63 AMG and M3 in the dust. Only an M3 running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires was able to match the new IS-F’s blazing 3:05.4 time according to Car and Driver. The car was transformed 180 degrees and it garnered universal praise from the auto journalists and press alike. The steering was now excellent and communicative, the suspension comfortable and it handles with aplomb. According to the press, our brakes were the only ones tested that could stand up to the stress of track duty compared to the other sedans. Unfortunately people tend to only remember the negatives and first impressions. I'm sure any IS-F regardless of year could be upgraded to even bigger performance potentials, it just shows the chassis is more than capable.

This is good news for us long term, the car is rare. I hardly ever see another IS-F around compared to the dime a dozen M3. The IS-F is truly a magnificent specimen with almost zero compromises. It makes a nice family sedan, (I have 2 car seats in the back of mine), makes all the right noises (loooove that V8). Our 8 speed transmission can be Lexus smooth when left in auto-normal, yet can unleash the most brutal neck snapping F1 speed shifts in manual-sport mode. Oh yeah, all while returning utmost efficiency thanks to 7th and 8th overdrive gears, 28-30MPG on the highway is not uncommon. Our F has been an amazing highway cruiser, my wife and I have already taken a couple road trips with it and a few weekend getaways. It’s crazy to think it could be track ready at any moments notice. All this wrapped in a Lexus bulletproof reliable package those BMW and Mercedes owners could only dream about. Yep…it’s a pretty awesome car.
Old 02-11-15, 04:53 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! That is impressive review! You nail all the good points.

Guess what, I am in love with the Lexus IS platform in general and that is the reason why I bought IS250 and IS350 both. I alternatively drive both to commute to work and push them hard on autocross/track. I'm very happy with the IS350 indeed. Seeing your review, you make me want to get my third car ISF which I have been thinking to complete the whole IS series: 250, 350 and F. If so, I guess I'm the first one ever to own 3 IS like that

I fell in love with Lexus IS back in 2006 lol and I'm glad to see another person like you loving the ISF.
Old 02-11-15, 06:24 PM
kevintari
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-11-15, 07:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
The lack of respect for the IS-F was due to it’s early life still casting a shadow over it.

I remember the hype when it was still a rumor... the IS500 was coming and it was going to lay down the law. Sadly, it came out swinging and missed for the most part, it matched the other super saloons in acceleration, that was never the problem. What hurt it was it’s rock hard suspension, lackluster steering feel and confidence zapping suspension tuning.. some journalists even called it down right scary. The press was not very kind to it and that's what stuck in people’s mind till this day.

The chassis was more than capable as evident by what Lexus did to the IS-F in 2011. The 2008 IS-F was getting hammered at the track vs. the M3 and C63, heck even a 2014 IS350 F-Sport was pulling in similar lap times at VIR which is a bit insulting.

The updated 2011 IS-F shaved nearly 9 second off it’s VIR Lighting Lap time, leaving both the C63 AMG and M3 in the dust. Only an M3 running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires was able to match the new IS-F’s blazing 3:05.4 time according to Car and Driver. The car was transformed 180 degrees and it garnered universal praise from the auto journalists and press alike. The steering was now excellent and communicative, the suspension comfortable and it handles with aplomb. According to the press, our brakes were the only ones tested that could stand up to the stress of track duty compared to the other sedans. Unfortunately people tend to only remember the negatives and first impressions. I'm sure any IS-F regardless of year could be upgraded to even bigger performance potentials, it just shows the chassis is more than capable.

This is good news for us long term, the car is rare. I hardly ever see another IS-F around compared to the dime a dozen M3. The IS-F is truly a magnificent specimen with almost zero compromises. It makes a nice family sedan, (I have 2 car seats in the back of mine), makes all the right noises (loooove that V8). Our 8 speed transmission can be Lexus smooth when left in auto-normal, yet can unleash the most brutal neck snapping F1 speed shifts in manual-sport mode. Oh yeah, all while returning utmost efficiency thanks to 7th and 8th overdrive gears, 28-30MPG on the highway is not uncommon. Our F has been an amazing highway cruiser, my wife and I have already taken a couple road trips with it and a few weekend getaways. It’s crazy to think it could be track ready at any moments notice. All this wrapped in a Lexus bulletproof reliable package those BMW and Mercedes owners could only dream about. Yep…it’s a pretty awesome car.

NAILED IT !!!!!!!!!! Very well written

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Wow! That is impressive review! You nail all the good points.

Guess what, I am in love with the Lexus IS platform in general and that is the reason why I bought IS250 and IS350 both. I alternatively drive both to commute to work and push them hard on autocross/track. I'm very happy with the IS350 indeed. Seeing your review, you make me want to get my third car ISF which I have been thinking to complete the whole IS series: 250, 350 and F. If so, I guess I'm the first one ever to own 3 IS like that

I fell in love with Lexus IS back in 2006 lol and I'm glad to see another person like you loving the ISF.

Old 02-11-15, 10:13 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Awesome review on hitting on all those points! Got a question for you though, was the increase on the VIR lighting lap due to the suspension upgrades + Torsen LSD? Or just the suspension upgrades? Can the 2010 MY with the Torsen LSD handle as good as the 2011 and up models?

Also can a 2008,2009,2010 MY IS F's come close to the performance of the 2011 and up MY's by adding a set of coilovers like KW V3's??
Old 02-13-15, 12:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Awesome review on hitting on all those points! Got a question for you though, was the increase on the VIR lighting lap due to the suspension upgrades + Torsen LSD? Or just the suspension upgrades? Can the 2010 MY with the Torsen LSD handle as good as the 2011 and up models?

Also can a 2008,2009,2010 MY IS F's come close to the performance of the 2011 and up MY's by adding a set of coilovers like KW V3's??
2010s would be closest to 2011s and up because of the LSD, BUT the 2011 and up have improved bushings, stiffer, springs and thicker sway bars

Improving upon our long-term IS F's figure-eight number by a full second and 0.07 g (24.8 seconds at 0.79 g compared to the old 25.8 seconds at 0.72 g) took significant tuning on Lexus' part. For model year 2011 and beyond, chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi introduced new nutrients to his baby's formula, namely stiffer front and rear spring/damper calibrations, larger anti-roll bars, thicker bushings, longer bump stops, and revised power steering logarithms. He also gave the IS F a standard-issue Torsen limited slip differential. Since they were deemed up to snuff, the team left the 90-degree eight-cylinder and paddle-activated gearbox untouched.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3ReLWmWFy
Old 02-13-15, 12:54 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^Thanks for the quote and response, too bad the 2011's and up had the single tach and small speedometer. I know it's personal preference but the small speedometer looks like it's a clock or a small toyish speedometer meant to go on something smaller.
Old 02-13-15, 01:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

my final decision came down to the price, mileage ( you usually jump used car that has been driven 5k miles a year), color, and I didnt like the 2011+ tach design . The color alone was enough for me. I wanted to have the rarest color.
Old 02-13-15, 01:18 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^Thanks for the quote and response, too bad the 2011's and up had the single tach and small speedometer. I know it's personal preference but the small speedometer looks like it's a clock or a small toyish speedometer meant to go on something smaller.
I guess everybody's opinion differs but I love the huge center mounted tach. Kinda LFA ish.. it makes the IS-F stand out more vs. the regular IS250/350 with the same dual pod design. I also love the shift warning lights that appear when you're reaching redline. coming from a long line of "performance" cars, that is one thing I notice. Most if not all high performance cars have large center mounted tachs. It's probably the most vital instrument you look at during racing or spirited driving so it makes most sense to make it large and center.

I rarely glance at the smaller analog speedo because there is a rather large digital speedometer built into the tach, so you'll get your speed reading in both digital and analog format if you take a glance.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-13-15 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 05:46 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@OP, I remember seeing a member tracking his ISF and the OEM brake crack after the 1st session. You have tracked your car 6 times. I wonder what brake rotors/pads did you use and how did they perform? Did you experience any brake fade at any point? How aggressive did you brake? Since you are in the advanced group, I assume you brake very aggressively with super late threshold braking that engages ABS all the times?

My IS350 OEM brake system faded after 15-20 mins on the track when I brake late aggressively every corners. After cooling down, it works fine again but then I have to brake earlier conservatively.
Old 02-13-15, 06:43 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

I guess everybody's opinion differs but I love the huge center mounted tach. Kinda LFA ish.. it makes the IS-F stand out more vs. the regular IS250/350 with the same dual pod design. I also love the shift warning lights that appear when you're reaching redline. coming from a long line of "performance" cars, that is one thing I notice. Most if not all high performance cars have large center mounted tachs. It's probably the most vital instrument you look at during racing or spirited driving so it makes most sense to make it large and center.

I rarely glance at the smaller analog speedo because there is a rather large digital speedometer built into the tach, so you'll get your speed reading in both digital and analog format if you take a glance.
I get it, it's personal preference and what you said make sense with it standing out vs the regular is250/350 I honestly didn't think of that, also that made me think the shift warning lights only came on the 2011's and up? I thought if was for all years?
Old 02-13-15, 06:59 PM
RMA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome vids, thanks for sharing. Now thanks to you I will be saving $$ & run my car 100% stock except the Figs LCA's.

Quick Reply: After 363 days of ownership, 12,247 miles, and 6 track days I'm in love with the ISF!