4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wait for the aluminum F150?
Old 08-27-14, 02:33 PM
G9N
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your comparing to completely different animals. We were going to buy a regular Raptor for my wife but after test driving it I was less than impressed. A TRD Tundra is a better truck. Plus the interior of the Raptor sucks compared to the F. I always laugh when people say "house projects" as justification for a truck. Trucks are overkill for 70% of people that drive them. You really have a weekend project factor in the cost of just going to a rental car company and using their pick-up for the day. Empty pick-ups ride like warm wall paper paste suspended by bungee cords, awful. Keep your F and buy a cheap pick-up truck for a beater/hauler.
Old 08-27-14, 03:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by G9N
Empty pick-ups ride like warm wall paper paste suspended by bungee cords, awful.
Not Really. My Silverado actually handled better than my late wife's ES350. I drove her car to Las Vegas once, and hated the experience. The Silverado is stiffly sprung, but the ride around town and on the freeway is not bad - not bouncy at all.

Lou
Old 08-27-14, 03:46 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I've always liked how the Raptors look from the outside but the interior sways me from buying one.
Old 08-28-14, 06:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by G9N
...Trucks are overkill for 70% of people that drive them. You really have a weekend project factor in the cost of just going to a rental car company and using their pick-up for the day....
Despite the F150 being the #1 selling vehicle on the planet for many years, this is my reality too. I rarely need a truck. I either rent or borrow one when I need one. I'm not willing to pay the extra insurance and fuel bills that come with a pickup. I even balk at SUVs because I so infrequently need that much room/space. It's easier and long term cheaper to rent something for those rare occasions.
Old 08-28-14, 08:01 AM
thatnewguy
Driver

Man I was so glad to see this thread. I'm going through the same thing right now, with the same truck.

We moved and are about a 90 mile drive from family who readily had trucks we could borrow. Now, in a new home, I've needed a truck a few times. Convinced the wife the truck would work with the new baby on the way in terms of room inside, and is practical for what we need around the house. Although I love my F, it's gonna be a pain fitting a baby seat in the back.

I think I've decided to buy a beater 4x4 and keep the F though. The Raptor is discontinued going into 15, plus they're doing a body overhaul for 15, so if they bring the Raptor back it's gonna look different than it does now.

Good luck brother, I suggest buy a beater trucks, because who wants to tear their new trucked up hauling mulch, rocks and whatnot?
Old 08-28-14, 08:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my mom has a 04 LX470 and we always use it for trips and stuff for the house. It's been a great reliable workhorse. Can be found easily for under 20k. There are plenty of large SUVs you can find for cheap. I agree no sense in buying a new truck to tear it up. Buy a older SUV and you can still keep the F. I have the feeling youd regret selling the F if you got a new truck instead
Old 08-28-14, 10:45 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

LS600? -> More power than the F
Old 08-28-14, 11:16 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Seems a few are going the route of SUVs so I'll throw my .02 in...

2003 QX4. You can find them rust free if you look hard. A brilliant interior and wonderfully priced. Keep the F.

Last edited by Quadrphnia; 08-28-14 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 12:19 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

I wanted to get a raptor also, roush is way overpriced, personally I'd get the new Tundra and just lift that as a second car.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-28-14, 05:38 PM
tomkirklan
Driver

Thanks all. I am going to keep the F and buy a beater. It is just too much fun to drive and I doubt I will ever find anything with this much horsepower that is equally reliable.

Have a good Labor Day all.

Tom
Old 08-29-14, 09:06 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tomkirklan
Thanks all. I am going to keep the F and buy a beater. It is just too much fun to drive and I doubt I will ever find anything with this much horsepower that is equally reliable.

Have a good Labor Day all.

Tom
Whew. Glad I didn't see this thread earlier or else I would have had to drive up to MD and shake some sense into you! Just kidding of course, but you came to the exact same conclusion that I have come to in my life. I have a 2006 Nissan Titan (only 76K miles though) that I have as my 2nd vehicle. I won't call it my daily driver, because I don't drive it daily, and I won't call it a beater, because it's actually in pretty good shape, and it fills all the gaps I need and keeps the F fun. I normally drive the truck about 40% of the time and the F the other 60%, but there are some weeks (usually bad weather weeks) that I drive the truck every single day to work and there are other weeks, like this week, where I've driven the F every day. It all depends on my mood and the weather. My F rarely sees the rain and stays nice a clean tucked in my garage when the weather is less than ideal. I've used my truck for multiple runs to the dump/landfill, to get mulch and pool supplies, to go to the beach and get all sandy with my kids, to help my neighbor, to pick up a couch... I've gotten PLENTY of use out of it. And sometimes I enjoy driving it just 'cause.

Like others have said, a truck is a truck... I have no interests in a fast, high horsepower truck. I want a truck that can haul stuff and can get dirty and I don't care about it. I wouldn't want a brand new $50K truck. I just want something that is going to run when I need it to run. You will find that you enjoy your F more because of it. Good luck with the purchase!
Old 08-31-14, 10:07 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

The bad thing with the raptor is the fact that is a ford😔

I got the F and as day driver i have a honda rigeline sport , right now i feel i have the best of both worlds