IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Driveway question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 11:04 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveway question

So I've been in the market looking for a house for a while and finally found a house I love. I went back today to take a second look and make sure it was what I want. Last time I was with my realtor in his jeep so didn't even think about the driveway. Today I met him there and as I tried to get into the driveway the F bottomed out scraping bad. I'm not lowered at all. The driveway has a slight little hill/slope and you can tell previous owner had same problem since there are scratch marks in the driveway. Is this something that can easily be fixed or are there tons of regulations that will make this costly.
Old 06-08-14, 11:10 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the easy one is to drive in at a slight angle, as to let one wheel at a time instead of the front all at once or the rear at once....may be a lil tricky but worth a try!
Old 06-08-14, 11:17 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

I tried that and didn't work there's a slope down and no good angle to approach one side at a time as your about to front door of the car when it starts to slope. If it's not too costly I could just have it fixed but not being able to get in or out without scraping is going to be the only deal breaker on this house.
Old 06-08-14, 11:37 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I had the same problem with my driveway and my parents. I just decided to repave both of them. Both required permits, as they had to be within a certain height in relation to the sidewalk, but it's less of a hassle or headache now. Even lowered now, I don't scrape as much as stock height and the old driveways' steepness.
Old 06-08-14, 11:53 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

It's not the front or rear that scrapes but the middle and I believe its due to the length of the wheel base and since it's a short driveway I'm worried it wouldn't be possible to fix. A friend found a post on the m3 forum saying put down sod or astro turf on that spot to minimize the scrapping but that sounds stupid to me.
Old 06-08-14, 12:18 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

If the angle trick doesn't work then the only solution is to regrade and repave the driveway. Or don't park in your driveway, which is crazy. You'll have to decide if the scraping is bad enough to make you get a whole new ramp section to your driveway or not. And yeah that sort of thing requires a permit.
Old 06-08-14, 12:46 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Damn I imagine that will be costly and I don't see them coming down on price to accommodate me needing a new driveway. I've been looking at houses for almost 6 months and am so stressed and tired of it. When we looked at this house it was perfect but not being able to use my driveway and garage would be a deal killer.
Old 06-08-14, 12:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You say the house is perfect.So just fix the driveway apron or whole driveway if needed.
Old 06-08-14, 01:24 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

We'll they are asking at the high end and won't budge on price so unless the repair/replacement was under 5k it would be out of my budget for a while. I asked my realtor to see if they will take 11k less than what they are asking.
Old 06-08-14, 01:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

If the car is high centering, it's going to be challenging to fix no matter how you slice it. Concrete removed, regraded, repoured and must meet code. No way around it.
Old 06-08-14, 01:54 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Yeah they responded and will only come down 1k so guess back to searching. Buying a home is too stressful.
Old 06-08-14, 02:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I refused to buy a home with a downslope driveway. The way it rains here, the driveway will become a river and the garage will be soaked if it isn't tightly sealed. One of the big reasons I bought the house I live in is because it's near the top of a hill and everything slopes down from the house.
Old 06-08-14, 02:41 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

That was one of my first concerns after first seeing that house but inspecting the garage didn't see any water stains or leaks and it's not much of a slope just going over the ridge the middle of the car bottoms out.
Old 06-08-14, 03:02 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

I came to the end of my home search recently and while angle isn't commonly an issue, I found a lot of neighborhoods built around here where you basically need to drive up the curb to enter the driveway.

I just don't understand why a driveway would ever be built like that.
Old 06-09-14, 07:31 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Sweet deal they changed their minds and are getting an estimate on the work. If it's too much they will pay the closing costs so I can do the driveway. Will know tomorrow, so exciting to finally give the F a nice home lol.

Quick Reply: Driveway question