IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Brake change: New Shim kit? New Hardware Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 03:56 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Front Brake change: New Shim kit? New Hardware Kit?

So, fronts need replacing, pads and rotors (yes, measured them out, they are done too after 2nd set of pads and turned in between. )

I'm ordering parts. Beyond pads and rotors do you also recommend using new shims? New hardware kit (pins, springs, etc? Adds about another $40.

I'm probably just going with stock again with parts from Sewell.
Old 01-25-14, 04:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Everything you need to know is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

and here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rake-pads.html

BTW, I have slotted rotors with Ferodo DS2500 Pads, I great combo IMHO.

Lou
Old 01-25-14, 04:41 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Lou. I am very familiar with both of those threads and I already know how to change pads and rotors of Brembo braking systems on Porsches. My question is about the shim and hardware kits and the necessity of changing then on the ISF. I have not seen that covered in either of those threads and nothing came up in a search. That is why I asked the question in a new thread. Do you know the answer to this? Thanks, AAa

PS, which slotted rotor are you using as I'm considering going away from drilled if I decide not to go OEM. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-14, 05:00 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Just purchased front brakes and rotors from Sewell. I decided to purchase new shims and front fitting kit (x2) although they are really not needed. The old pins and shims can be cleaned and reused. I am just too lazy to clean them during the brake change and also figured, after paying $550 for pads and rotors, what's another $50? I'll just keep a spare set and clean them later.
Old 01-25-14, 06:27 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always re-use my shims and hardware. If my springs don't have tension I just bend them to get some back and like mentioned above just give them a slight cleaning and you are good to go. If clips are mutilated then obliviously pickup new hardware but you safe re-using them.

FYI, This is what I was thought my Chuck Norris himself!
Old 01-25-14, 08:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
My question is about the shim and hardware kits and the necessity of changing then on the ISF. I have not seen that covered in either of those threads and nothing came up in a search. That is why I asked the question in a new thread. Do you know the answer to this? Thanks, AAa

PS, which slotted rotor are you using as I'm considering going away from drilled if I decide not to go OEM. Thanks again.
I thought the second thread I attached addressed the reusing of your old parts after cleaning. I reused and cleaned mine.

I hesitate to mention the rotors I am using, because the seller, Adams Rotors, is a forum sponsor. I had issues with the paint he used on the hats, the paint pealed and flaked badly while I was bedding them in. Also, IMHO, his customer service is very poor as is the packaging method he uses when shipping. He took exception to my review, and since he is a sponsor, the moderators sided with him. The rotors themselves are fine with very good performance when coupled with the Ferodo pads. If you use them, I don't recommend you have the hats painted.

Lou
Old 01-25-14, 09:24 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, fronts need replacing, pads and rotors (yes, measured them out, they are done too after 2nd set of pads and turned in between. )

I'm ordering parts. Beyond pads and rotors do you also recommend using new shims? New hardware kit (pins, springs, etc? Adds about another $40.

I'm probably just going with stock again with parts from Sewell.
I just changed my front rotors and pads. New hardware and shims aren't necessary unless you want to save time cleaning. About 1/4 of the install time spent was probably on getting caked brake dust off the shims > pins and center bolt>spring. Cleaning the shims really well before putting that Brembo grease on.

If you don't get a new set and plan to clean, I recommend a mask cause I must have inhaled some dust residue and had black snot afterwards.
Old 01-26-14, 01:51 AM
crazee201
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I thought the second thread I attached addressed the reusing of your old parts after cleaning. I reused and cleaned mine.

I hesitate to mention the rotors I am using, because the seller, Adams Rotors, is a forum sponsor. I had issues with the paint he used on the hats, the paint pealed and flaked badly while I was bedding them in. Also, IMHO, his customer service is very poor as is the packaging method he uses when shipping. He took exception to my review, and since he is a sponsor, the moderators sided with him. The rotors themselves are fine with very good performance when coupled with the Ferodo pads. If you use them, I don't recommend you have the hats painted.

Lou
I agree with Lou on this. Service, packaging and the paint is bad. Service is a long long long delay. Packaging let's just say a bunch load of NEWSPAPERS inside the box. Paint is extremely flaky also have some weird discoloration spots on it.
Old 01-26-14, 07:42 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Shims and pins can be re-used for sure
Old 01-26-14, 08:01 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was deciding if I needed new hardware too - thanks for the info
Old 02-01-14, 05:52 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

I just decided to order it all new so the job would be easier with less cleaning and recycling. I also went ahead and ordered some copper anti-seize as I hear this is what Brembo uses between the pads and shims to keep down the noise.

AA
Old 02-01-14, 06:17 PM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just decided to order it all new so the job would be easier with less cleaning and recycling. I also went ahead and ordered some copper anti-seize as I hear this is what Brembo uses between the pads and shims to keep down the noise.

AA
The pads come with this in the box. Well at least the eom ones do come with the copper anti seize
Old 04-24-14, 07:11 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did a brake pad / rotor change and noticed all four of my brakes do not have any shims on them.

Surprisingly they never made much of any squealing sounds ????

Seems all you have it on the stock OEM brembo pads so I am going to buy front and rear set of shims
Old 08-22-17, 11:06 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Resurrecting this old thread from the dead:

I picked this one out of about 3-4 threads on shims/brake hardware that had the most responses......

I'm getting ready to do my brake job (new rotors front and rear along with new front pads) this weekend and just realized that I didn't buy any shims?

What are some opinions of members here when doing their brakes? Did you reuse the old shims or buy new ones? I've replaced the pads once on the ISF since I've owned the car about 2 years ago and at the time I reused the old shims without re-greasing them. I was thinking about buying the titanium shims from RR-Racing, or just getting the OEM shims from the dealership?

Opinions....
Old 08-22-17, 11:46 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm interested in hearing other opinions as well. I'm in the same boat and would like to hear what people think about shims, greasing/regressing them, and the bedding procedures that people are doing.

Quick Reply: Front Brake change: New Shim kit? New Hardware Kit?