IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PLEASE HELP!! Stolen wheels. Linea Corse Dynas powder-coated gray.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 11:54 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
If you don't stand up for something you will fall for anything
Originally Posted by zapa
VBB if you don't mind driving over to my house sometime so I can steal your rims that would be great. Your insurance company would then just give you the money to buy new rims. Sounds like a win win to me...
Look, I'm not saying you invite criminal behavior or behave like a victim. I'd be highly pissed if someone stole my rims, and yeah, I'd want to beat the **** out of them. But I also realize that stealing my wheels is not a threat of bodily harm to me or anyone else. It's stupid kid stuff. The OP did the right thing and involved the cops. The cops aren't too interested in staging a manhunt or sting for this guy because they probably have more serious crime to fight and can't devote the resources to it. I'm not even saying the OP should just let it go. But what I am saying is that bringing a gun into this is the WRONG move, 10/10 times. What happens if you pull the gun and he goes for it instead of runs away? Then you have to shoot him, right? You're willing to shoot someone over some rims, or risk getting shot yourself? No way man. That's crazy. (And Zapa, I know you're joking, but that's pretty classic insurance fraud.)

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys lets move off the internet thugging with threats of violence discussion please and back to trying to help the OP get his wheels back or some legal restitution approach
People are getting a bit too excited here. I agree. Calm down and do this the right way. Like I've said 3x already, I hope the OP has made an insurance claim.
Old 11-14-13, 12:41 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Look, I'm not saying you invite criminal behavior or behave like a victim. I'd be highly pissed if someone stole my rims, and yeah, I'd want to beat the **** out of them. But I also realize that stealing my wheels is not a threat of bodily harm to me or anyone else. It's stupid kid stuff. The OP did the right thing and involved the cops. The cops aren't too interested in staging a manhunt or sting for this guy because they probably have more serious crime to fight and can't devote the resources to it. I'm not even saying the OP should just let it go. But what I am saying is that bringing a gun into this is the WRONG move, 10/10 times. What happens if you pull the gun and he goes for it instead of runs away? Then you have to shoot him, right? You're willing to shoot someone over some rims, or risk getting shot yourself? No way man. That's crazy. (And Zapa, I know you're joking, but that's pretty classic insurance fraud.)

People are getting a bit too excited here. I agree. Calm down and do this the right way. Like I've said 3x already, I hope the OP has made an insurance claim.
So true.

Plus, I'd be willing to bet that the guy with 'BORN TO LOSE' tattooed on his forehead who jacked your rims will shoot himself in the foot soon enough...
Old 11-14-13, 01:41 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Go for the deep pockets

His parents brought this POS into this world and enabled him, so lets be smart about this.

Let the police do their job. If he eluded a police car, they want him worse than you do. He is a danger and if they let him go and don't arrest him. Well suppose he next hurts some little kid. The police don't need that.

Don't injure him because:
1. He'll sue you and the law will then be on his side.
2. He'll get public assistance at a hospital or wherever and again be the victim.
3. The police will arrest you. If they catch you with a gun that is a felony. Very Bad.
4. He is a POS and always will be. Nothing will help him, ever.

Do get smart. Go after the deeper pockets. If the wheels were at the parents house, you have photo, right, they will pay just to make you go away. It could be a good deal for the parents because they may wake up and get rid of him.

Follow the money if you want to get even.

Old 11-14-13, 04:05 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the wheels don't have any sort of serial number or anything and you don't have a receipt of some sort I'm pretty sure this case will be forgotten about. No way to prove its actually yours?
Old 11-14-13, 04:41 PM
Sgt350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

If the TPMS sensors were installed and programmed to the vehicle. He can go to the dealer and have a print out of the registered tpms on his car and use the TPMS ID as a serial number.
Old 11-14-13, 05:00 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@VBB You know I'm only playing, but I agree. There is no need to risk bodily arm over something that could so easily be replace.

To the OP. I know it sucks getting your rims stolen, but just file your insurance claim and forget about this punk that stole your wheels. He's not worth all the time you are giving him.
Old 11-14-13, 07:13 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

GUYS! i didn't mean to throw everyone off on a tangent. i wasn't suggesting he to put a gun in the guys face, just bring one to the party! yes i think it would be highly possible the thug could be armed. thats why i said take your gun, if you choose to let the cops know thats up to you. but if it were me, i would go get my property back and be ready to defend myself if things got ugly.
i would probably tell the police that i would like so assistance in case things went bad, but no way would i go to meet a crook without my piece.
i have a CCW and i wouldn't not suggest you go around toting a gun in plain sight. but you be a fool to show up to a potential gunfight without something to level the playing field.
if i got there and they actually threatened me with a gun, i would have no reservations defending myself against a worthless punk!
at least in my personal case, I would be willing to bet i am a way better shot than he is!
Old 11-14-13, 11:52 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Stolen property is generally speaking a very low priority for most police departments. In order to do this the right way, they'd have to set up an undercover buy with the guy, by having a detective communicate with the kid and set up a purchase price and location, and then sending a plain-clothes detective out there to complete the buy. He'll also need at least one officer as backup to observe the purchase and watch his back. Once the purchase is made, then the burden will shift to the cops/prosecutor to prove that the seller knew or should have known the property was stolen at the time he possessed it. While it seems obvious the punk kid knew what was going on, a good defense attorney will be able to show that the state can't prove his guy stole the wheels and didn't even know they were stolen. He could say "I bought them cheap off of some random guy and now I'm trying to resell them for profit" and it'd be hard to show otherwise.

The cops know that it's going to take time and resources to catch the guy and then a successful prosecution of the guy is no sure bet. Offering him a "deal" to a lesser charge is what they're hoping for, because that means he pleads guilty, but if he decides to fight it the whole way the state has a tough case.

So in short, they don't really care that much about catching this guy. I hope you've already gotten your insurance money for this so you can replace the wheels and get your car fixed.

First off, the detectives did everything you just mentioned in your post. They even went to the suspect's house and got a verbal confirmation from his parents that he was seen with the wheels. What are the chances do you think the wheels are powder coated the exact same color with the same tires sizes etc. not to mention a few other similarities I will not state here. I also have the sample tile of the color I chose for further proof. So when I say what the deuce that is just out of fustration. Did you not read my post? Police chase, evaded police? He is not only a thief, but a threat to public safety for his actions. In my book that should be more than enough to warrant an arrest and more. I have already moved on and gone through insurance, but what makes you think, for one second, he will not do it again to someone else.
Old 11-14-13, 11:54 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zapa
@VBB You know I'm only playing, but I agree. There is no need to risk bodily arm over something that could so easily be replace.

To the OP. I know it sucks getting your rims stolen, but just file your insurance claim and forget about this punk that stole your wheels. He's not worth all the time you are giving him.

Yes. I understand and I already have. It does not hurt to follow up after all is said and done.

Last edited by SPoon22; 11-15-13 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-15-13, 05:59 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by SPoon22
First off, the detectives did everything you just mentioned in your post. They even went to the suspect's house and got a verbal confirmation from his parents that he was seen with the wheels. What are the chances do you think the wheels are powder coated the exact same color with the same tires sizes etc. not to mention a few other similarities I will not state here. I also have the sample tile of the color I chose for further proof. So when I say what the deuce that is just out of fustration. Did you not read my post? Police chase, evaded police? He is not only a thief, but a threat to public safety for his actions. In my book that should be more than enough to warrant an arrest and more. I have already moved on and gone through insurance, but what makes you think, for one second, he will not do it again to someone else.
I did read your post. They called off the high speed chase because it wasn't worth endangering others on the highway over the wheels. So they know where he is, they know (from you) he's still trying to sell the wheels, and yet they can't seem to do anything to help you. You have every right to be frustrated at the lack of response. I am just saying that the police probably don't view this as being important, and that's why they're lazy at following up on this. The easy thing to do would be to set up an undercover buy again, but this time make sure he gets out of his car. The guy obviously ran the first time because the police were too obvious that it was a setup. And again, they have shown that they're not going to devote the time to doing it the right way.

What are they telling you when you call the detective assigned to the case?

At any rate, I'm glad your insurance company is coming through for you. At this point it is their money that will have to be paid out, so they have every bit as much skin in the game as you do. Maybe the insurance company will follow up on this to try and get subrogated for the money they'll have to pay out to you for the wheels, or put some additional pressure on the police to get motivated.
Old 11-15-13, 11:36 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Id still go try to steal my wheels back.
Old 11-16-13, 08:29 AM
sethISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nyquil
Go after the deeper pockets? This is what's wrong with society, especially in Cali.
This. Everyone wants to sue over everything these days.
Old 11-18-13, 02:32 PM
jcoon350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm a proud gun owner and have pretty good training. One thing I learned is that you don't pull a gun unless you're prepared to shoot. I'm not prepared to shoot someone over my rims. Have at it. I've got great insurance.
I agree with you. It's not worth it for a set of rims. Even if you pack heat and try to go meet up with him, you never know how dangerous he really is since he's evading the cops and doing crazy stunts. Hire your own personal investigator hahaha
Old 11-18-13, 03:46 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Sweet that you found the wheels! Sucks the cops didn't get him.

America is full of a bunch of betas now, can't do anything without getting sued. All you can do is call the cops, then wait for them to do nothing.. just a matter of time till we aren't allowed to even defend ourselves/property/family without being prosecuted then sued.
Old 11-18-13, 06:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Unless there's something to post about catching the slimeball who did this, let's not wander off into Debate Forum topics. As much as I'm sure we all have opinions about the current state of the union, this forum is for the IS-F. The Debate Forum is where we opine about politics, world affairs, and our opinions of their impact on us all.

So, I'm asking everyone to refrain from wandering off and focus on either the return of the wheels or what the OP will do with the insurance settlement to take it to the next level.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!! Stolen wheels. Linea Corse Dynas powder-coated gray.