IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Direct Shift vs Dual Clutch Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 02:16 PM
driven5373
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Shift vs Dual Clutch Transmission

For those who have driven both, how would you compare the Direct Shift to the Dual Clutch Transmission?

I have DSG in my current car - when out on a test drive recently on Lexus with Direct Shift, I could not readily discern much of a difference in shift response time. But I was driving it in a rather sedate manner on a rather time limited test drive. How does it respond when really pushed?

In my current car, I paddle shift about 90% of the time.
Old 08-08-13, 02:49 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Never drove a DSG - but I one thing I noticed about the IS-F is that the crispest/quickest shifts happen when in sport mode with the shift lever in manual mode. In any other mode, the shifts are quick, but IMO just not as sharp or fast as when in sport/manual mode. If you test drive again - make sure you are in sport/manual mode.

When pushed hard, the up and downshifts are almost instantaneous..I have no complaints (other than there is probably 1 too many gears to select from).
Old 08-08-13, 03:29 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our transmissions are pretty slow.. its only quick when you floor it but theres a huge delay when driving around.. about half a second.

IMO its not as fast as I thought it is when i drive it compared to on paper.
Old 08-08-13, 04:52 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

DSG hands down wins over our transmission during spirited driving. While the ISF tranmission is a lot better than most autos, its still slower to respond. Don't get me wrong, put it in sport mode, manual transmission mode and the upshifts are just as fast as a DSG. Where the DSG really shines is the downshifts. If you are downshifting in the ISF at higher revs, its very instant like the DSG. The DSG though even if you are below 5k RPMS, it still downshifts very fast. There is where the ISF kinda becomes a slouch. If I am in 8th gear and downshifting while in sport/manual mode, it takes some time to get it to downshift into a couple gears. DSG it would be instant.

Then again, when I want to cruise around and be comfortable, the ISF transmission wins hands down. The DSG can still be a little rough around the edges in normal driving.
Old 08-08-13, 06:19 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When driven above 4k - 5k rpm in M mode with sport enabled I can't tell the difference. The shifts are extremely fast. And what it lacks is offset, IMO, by its ability to pull strong to the max.

The car was designed to be driven near its limit. That's where the car excels (not in town driving).
Old 08-08-13, 08:37 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
DSG hands down wins over our transmission during spirited driving. While the ISF tranmission is a lot better than most autos, its still slower to respond. Don't get me wrong, put it in sport mode, manual transmission mode and the upshifts are just as fast as a DSG. Where the DSG really shines is the downshifts. If you are downshifting in the ISF at higher revs, its very instant like the DSG. The DSG though even if you are below 5k RPMS, it still downshifts very fast. There is where the ISF kinda becomes a slouch. If I am in 8th gear and downshifting while in sport/manual mode, it takes some time to get it to downshift into a couple gears. DSG it would be instant.

Then again, when I want to cruise around and be comfortable, the ISF transmission wins hands down. The DSG can still be a little rough around the edges in normal driving.
this dude knows what he's talking about
Old 08-08-13, 09:02 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
this dude knows what he's talking about
no he doesn't
Old 08-08-13, 10:05 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
no he doesn't
Care to enlighten? I know I am not always correct but just wondering from your perspective.
Old 08-09-13, 08:53 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Old 08-09-13, 09:51 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the F has Direct Shift, right?
Old 08-09-13, 10:11 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
I thought the F has Direct Shift, right?
Yes Sir. Instead of a Duel Clutch system, our Fs are using torque converter

And here's a good read :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sion_story.pdf
Old 08-09-13, 10:18 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
no he doesn't
I had drove a M3 and EVO X MR which both are equipped with a Dual Clutch before I settled with a IS-F. And I happend to find Patrick's review spot on accurate and fair.

Care to explain and educate some of us with your point of view?? And it will be very helpful if that is any sort of source doc or report to go along with that too.

"Knowledge is power!!" and I am always up for new knowledge!
Old 08-09-13, 04:37 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

When I get on the F to run my own quarter mile with manual and s enabled, the shifts are absolutely instantaneous.

I am driving a 2012. I don't know if the earlier years shift a bit slower, but this year has no issue IMO.
Old 08-09-13, 08:54 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I've driven a VW DSG, M3 DCT, and the ISF. Some of the comments above talk about normal driving or under 5K RPM or normal mode. Who cares under those circumstances? Whether the shifts are quick and firm, or slow and soft, the problem is the driver for trying to get performance out of the tranny when the foot is too light.

A DSG/DCT/PDK etc. tranny will be faster, whether it's upshifts or downshifts, period! How fast? Upshifts won't be noticeable unless you can feel hundreds of a second. Downshifts are the same with the exception that the second clutch on the DSG/DCT makes it quicker to go through gears as opposed as the F's sequential that needs to go through every single gear.

If not driven hard, both transmission will shift slower than what they can do under WOT. Also, the F will roll from a stop if you don't apply the brakes, a DSG/DCT will not move at all until you give it some gas. Tip for those ISF owners complaining about slow downshifts, lift the gas pedal when downshifting and the F will go through gears almost immediately.

Finally, the ISF transmission is faster than the Ferrari F430 F1 transmission, their Scuderia version is faster though.
Old 08-10-13, 09:48 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juanca
I've driven a VW DSG, M3 DCT, and the ISF. Some of the comments above talk about normal driving or under 5K RPM or normal mode. Who cares under those circumstances? Whether the shifts are quick and firm, or slow and soft, the problem is the driver for trying to get performance out of the tranny when the foot is too light.

A DSG/DCT/PDK etc. tranny will be faster, whether it's upshifts or downshifts, period! How fast? Upshifts won't be noticeable unless you can feel hundreds of a second. Downshifts are the same with the exception that the second clutch on the DSG/DCT makes it quicker to go through gears as opposed as the F's sequential that needs to go through every single gear.

If not driven hard, both transmission will shift slower than what they can do under WOT. Also, the F will roll from a stop if you don't apply the brakes, a DSG/DCT will not move at all until you give it some gas. Tip for those ISF owners complaining about slow downshifts, lift the gas pedal when downshifting and the F will go through gears almost immediately.

Finally, the ISF transmission is faster than the Ferrari F430 F1 transmission, their Scuderia version is faster though.
100% agree!

Quick Reply: Direct Shift vs Dual Clutch Transmission