IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Who in here has done an ISF to ISF switch/trade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 06:31 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
You guys are brutal!! If you love the 08, then 08 is for you. If you love the 11+ then that's also for you. All in personal preference. Worth it or not it is all up to you so don't force your taste on other people by calling out the other.
I'm shopping for a '10. I'm one of those who does't care about the gauge cluster on thw 11+
The LED's were a must have back in '09 when Audi's and MB's started using them. Now Kia's and Accords have LEDs. It just doesn't have that "wow" factor anymore. Thus, I don't mind getting a older halogen DRL.
Old 08-09-13, 07:09 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

halogen isf owners coming out of the woodworkd efending something that's so 80s. it's also all that ridiculous General Motors chrome that dates it also. just not my thing.

80s

Last edited by ROK; 08-09-13 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-09-13, 07:28 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Incorrect, 08-10 has HID, not halogen. My 1998 Integra has halogen lights.

Old 08-09-13, 08:36 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ i think ROK is just refering to the halogen DRL.
like someone previously said, some people prefer 2008-2010 looks, some people prefer 2011+ features. it's all down to personal preference...to each his own.
Old 08-09-13, 09:54 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman
^^ i think ROK is just refering to the halogen DRL.
like someone previously said, some people prefer 2008-2010 looks, some people prefer 2011+ features. it's all down to personal preference...to each his own.
yep yep, I assume he is talking about the high beam DRL being halogen. But I still dont know why ROK continues to put down others people opinions for not caring enough about some stupid LED strip that 90% of the cars run now, to let it influence them to buy a car based on that one attribute. Who cares what someone else likes.
Old 08-09-13, 10:11 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ROK is a joke on this forum.. I don't pay attention to any of his posts. Seriously everything he posted is full of trash thus far.
Old 08-09-13, 10:12 AM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROK is on the mission proving newer ISF is much much better than older ones. showing pix and all. lol. relax my man, we're all on the same team bruh. Again it's personal pref.
Old 08-09-13, 10:38 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I like the new lights better than the old ones, but ROK is making this a much bigger deal than anyone else is. The point of my thread was to say that I like my ISF a lot, am uncertain if Lexus will produce another 4 door performance car anytime soon or for anything less than $75K, and I'm considering trading my car in for a newer version of the same car if I come across the right thing. My man has turned this into an argument about headlights, lol.

By the way, first time I've ever heard burrito used as an adjective was in this thread. I must be getting old.
Old 08-09-13, 11:44 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

well, i must be really old bc i still don't get the 'burrito' analogy.

i'm in a similar boat as you. love the car as is, would need another 4-door after this current car, not sure if i'd be willing to pony up anything in the $75 - $85k range if a new GS-F is introduced, etc.

my only caveat in jumping onto another F would be whether i would get another one that is as mechanically sound as my current one (knock on wood.) i test drove a lot of Fs before i found mine and each one had issues that i didn't like. whether it didn't drive straight, whether the interior was really tore up, the driver's seat was loose on its tracks, wheels curbed badly, etc. so far my current one has been great; no water pump leak, no rattles, and so forth. and i researched and looked for about 5 months to find the 'right one.' going through all that again for a newer car w/ some upgrades here and there, not so sure, esp when the newer one's don't have any power increase.
Old 08-09-13, 12:13 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day we are all F owner's just like vbb said. So what the newer one's have more stuff the older ones. The biggest thing is the driver mod. I could care less about what a newer IS-F has. Can the guy drive it? lol...
Old 08-09-13, 12:24 PM
vbb

Let's say Lexus does make a GSF, and let's say they release it in 2015, well optioned, for $80k. I'd prefer not to buy the very first model year of any brand new car, so I'll want a 2016 model. I don't prefer to buy brand new vehicles, but rather clean, used vehicles because the value is better, so I'm looking at 2017 or 2018 to buy a gently used 2016. And that's all assuming Lexus releases a GSF in 2015, which is just an assumption at best.

Soooooo, if I realistically think it'll be another 4 years before I get another car, the question is whether I want to try and sell/trade my 2009 when it is 4 years old (now) or when it is 8 years old. Would I be better served selling it now, buying a 2012/13 and then selling that if/when the GSF drops? I figure if I keep my 2009 in good condition and relatively low mileage (my current projection says I'll be around 75k miles on 2017) it'll fetch a good price then.

This is all very complicated, lol.
Old 08-09-13, 12:29 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
Let's say Lexus does make a GSF, and let's say they release it in 2015, well optioned, for $80k. I'd prefer not to buy the very first model year of any brand new car, so I'll want a 2016 model. I don't prefer to buy brand new vehicles, but rather clean, used vehicles because the value is better, so I'm looking at 2017 or 2018 to buy a gently used 2016. And that's all assuming Lexus releases a GSF in 2015, which is just an assumption at best.

Soooooo, if I realistically think it'll be another 4 years before I get another car, the question is whether I want to try and sell/trade my 2009 when it is 4 years old (now) or when it is 8 years old. Would I be better served selling it now, buying a 2012/13 and then selling that if/when the GSF drops? I figure if I keep my 2009 in good condition and relatively low mileage (my current projection says I'll be around 75k miles on 2017) it'll fetch a good price then.

This is all very complicated, lol.
i like how you think as i think along the same lines.

but when it comes down to it, you're playing around with a toy, a luxury good, a heavily depreciating object. mass produced automobiles. whether you stick with your 09, upgrade to 12-13, you're still losing money. it's a money losing proposition. when you add it up, it's a few thousand here or there. how much is your complete contentment worth it to you?

so it's hobby money. in my head, i'd upgrade to the 12/13 as soon as you can justify it in your head that it's worth the added expense. i just cannot fathom the idea of rolling around in a pre'11 ISF without the best of breed offerings. LED DRL. LSD. heavily tweaked suspension.

life is short. do what makes you happy without harming others or mortgaging the future of those you're responsible for.
Old 08-09-13, 12:58 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by ROK
i like how you think as i think along the same lines.

but when it comes down to it, you're playing around with a toy, a luxury good, a heavily depreciating object. mass produced automobiles. whether you stick with your 09, upgrade to 12-13, you're still losing money. it's a money losing proposition. when you add it up, it's a few thousand here or there. how much is your complete contentment worth it to you?

so it's hobby money. in my head, i'd upgrade to the 12/13 as soon as you can justify it in your head that it's worth the added expense. i just cannot fathom the idea of rolling around in a pre'11 ISF without the best of breed offerings. LED DRL. LSD. heavily tweaked suspension.

life is short. do what makes you happy without harming others or mortgaging the future of those you're responsible for.
Of course it is depreciating... it's just all about managing the depreciation. I bought a 2005 S2000 in 2009, and sold it in 2012 for $500 more than I purchased it for 3 years prior. Why? I bought it on a good deal with low mileage, keep good care of it for the time I owned it, and of course sold the car after it had been discontinued. Not saying I expect this with the ISF of course... but I DO expect to use my current car as a downpayment on my next car, whenever that day may come. The question is how much less is my ISF going to be worth in 2014 vs 2017? It'd be helpful to my plan if Lexus would just go ahead and discontinue the ISF and not produce a 2014 model .
Old 08-09-13, 01:18 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what happened here guys, it's obvious now. The ROK had a serious crush on a guy who stove an 08 F and the guy broke The ROK's heart, now The ROK simply hates all 08 Fs because of this. Now The ROK spends his lonely nights sitting in front of his car admiring his 2011 DRL lights before he goes to bed each night. Do u smell what The ROK is cooking?
Old 08-09-13, 01:24 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
Of course it is depreciating... it's just all about managing the depreciation. I bought a 2005 S2000 in 2009, and sold it in 2012 for $500 more than I purchased it for 3 years prior. Why? I bought it on a good deal with low mileage, keep good care of it for the time I owned it, and of course sold the car after it had been discontinued. Not saying I expect this with the ISF of course... but I DO expect to use my current car as a downpayment on my next car, whenever that day may come. The question is how much less is my ISF going to be worth in 2014 vs 2017? It'd be helpful to my plan if Lexus would just go ahead and discontinue the ISF and not produce a 2014 model .
so don't sweat it. you know it's a toy. it'll continue to depreciate. just go make that money so all this becomes a non-factor. done.

Quick Reply: Who in here has done an ISF to ISF switch/trade?