IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RS-R engine treatment

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 06:42 AM
JT1K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS-R engine treatment

Anyone use this stuff in there IS-F's. I saw another member just ordered some. I'm a little skeptical. Looking for feedback positive or negative.
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2669/
Old 05-23-13, 07:59 AM
GriMan
Pole Position

It sounds very interesting. I'm getting ready to change my oil over here. Feedback would be great.
Old 05-23-13, 08:23 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

interesting.....waiting to hear feedback as well.
Old 05-23-13, 08:57 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

To sketchy for me
Old 05-23-13, 09:04 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, RS-R is not a petroleum company. And also there are no miracle oil additives....common...5-7hp in a 4 banger? 5-12hp in some cars? GTFO....Seriously you guys even have to contemplate if this stuff is true?

I like this place for a source of info....some of the people get really nuts though with tests and theories and everything...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 05-23-13, 10:30 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

...interesting..... my first time ever hearing about this product. Who wants to be the guinea pig?
Old 05-23-13, 11:11 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Bob's forum is a very good source of information about oils, lubricants, filters and all related products. Some of the posters on that site are a little nuts but at least they try. Some do pretty good research. You'll notice after a while that there are basically synthetic oils and non synthetic oils. Most of the manufacturers have fairly consistent products that generally do a good job of lubricating your motor, transmission and differential.

I would bet that if you used a common brand synthetic oil in your IS F and changed it every 10,000 miles or so (ten quarts is a lot of oil to get dirty) the motor would easily last more than 300,000 miles and then probably only need valve seals, engine seals and maybe a valve job. If you only drove it 5 miles at a time and never got it hot, then the inside of the motor might require cleaning. The key is to drive it once in a while.

The best oil? I know of a company that tests them all and their petroleum and lubricants engineer claimed that Chevron's Delo 400 MD was the best oil on the market. Only available in 5 and 50 gallon containers from a distributor and is generally used by trucking companies. I've only seen it as 15w40 though.
Old 05-23-13, 11:25 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lorenr

Bob's forum is a very good source of information about oils, lubricants, filters and all related products. Some of the posters on that site are a little nuts but at least they try. Some do pretty good research. You'll notice after a while that there are basically synthetic oils and non synthetic oils. Most of the manufacturers have fairly consistent products that generally do a good job of lubricating your motor, transmission and differential.

I would bet that if you used a common brand synthetic oil in your IS F and changed it every 10,000 miles or so (ten quarts is a lot of oil to get dirty) the motor would easily last more than 300,000 miles and then probably only need valve seals, engine seals and maybe a valve job. If you only drove it 5 miles at a time and never got it hot, then the inside of the motor might require cleaning. The key is to drive it once in a while.

The best oil? I know of a company that tests them all and their petroleum and lubricants engineer claimed that Chevron's Delo 400 MD was the best oil on the market. Only available in 5 and 50 gallon containers from a distributor and is generally used by trucking companies. I've only seen it as 15w40 though.
Was this an ad for that forums or what?

Edit: guess not, just random and not about the additive. my b

Last edited by CUTigers; 05-23-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 11:30 AM
wiredGS400
Driver

Default I am skeptical as well

But, MOTOIQ.COM, a website that I have a lot of faith and trust in, reviewed it.

Just realized the OP referenced MOTOIQ in his post. Sorry.
Old 05-23-13, 11:32 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wiredGS400
But, MOTOIQ.COM, a website that I have a lot of faith and trust in, reviewed it.

Just realized the OP referenced MOTOIQ in his post. Sorry.
lol, you caught that. Was gonna tell you that
Old 05-23-13, 01:17 PM
JT1K

I spent a little while trying to find a manufacturers website or something all I found were some forums. I cant imagine throwing this in my crankcase and not worrying about it ruining something in future. Maybe in a tuned Civic but not a $60000.00 IS-F
Old 05-23-13, 01:29 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

These types of products are just snake oil.

Do you not think that you can gain 5-10 whp up or down every dyno pull by heat soak?
Old 05-23-13, 01:41 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

5-10 whp, lol.
Old 05-23-13, 02:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Mike Kojima is a stand up guy. I'm one of the biggest skeptics of anything magical with oil, but I have to say, it's hard to disbelieve something Mike would post. I'm on the fence on this, but not willing to test it for lack of any long term results. Slick 50 makes more power on the dyno right away. It does nothing good for your engine in the long term, and actually does damage over the long run by blocking oil passages. I'd really like to see more long term results.
Old 05-23-13, 02:36 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard/read about them earlier this year. You can find their info on their site.

http://rs-r.com/

Quick Reply: RS-R engine treatment