IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bought It. Now Time to Detail It.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 06:46 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man, how do you like the AMMO products? Will probably get a set once some of my other stuff runs out.
Old 04-25-13, 10:04 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I mean everyone will have products they like and say X is better than Y, but Larry (the owner of AMMO) does a fantastic job with all of his videos he puts out explaining how to use all the products and correctly detail cars, not to mention he makes all of the products and synthetic mixes himself and tests them on his own cars and detail jobs so I put a lot of faith in the end product, as it's exactly what he's using to correct a million dollar Ferrari GTO, etc. I like supporting small business owners over big corps like meguiers so to me, given the choice between two equal product offerings, i'll support the little guy, and such is the case with AMMO.

I just got the entire AMMO lineup and started using it and I have to say it all seems to be fantastic. I was a dyed in the wool Zaino/Zymol guy but he's converted me. No gripes or complaints with any of his formula's thus far - everything is as advertised and I plan on sticking with the AMMO regimen to keep my cars detailed, protected, and looking good.

At the end of the day you can use whatever products you like but check out some of his how-to videos (they aren't AMMO-centric and would apply to the use of any product), but he really explains the do's and don'ts quite well IMO: http://www.ammonyc.com/videos/
Old 04-26-13, 05:45 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking good. I would recommend taking the wheels off the car and cleaning them individually, as well as sealing them with wheel sealant or just any good synthetic sealant, but it's pretty time consuming.

I just ordered some detailing materials, and this brush is pretty awesome:

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

My friend (2011 ISF) bought it and I used it a few weeks ago. It's able to go inside the wheel all the way.
Old 04-26-13, 05:47 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Gotta love that foam canon. I don't get to use mine anymore since I don't have a driveway, but hopefully someday I will.

I use it on my friend's E90.
Old 04-26-13, 06:01 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Great videos, thank you for providing the link, I really enjoy his tips and glad I'm not making those mistakes.

http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/top...ling-mistakes/

Interesting, he does not like to use the car duster. I just got one as a present....lol
Old 04-26-13, 06:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a great color for a IS-F.Also love it in Starfire/Black.
Old 04-26-13, 07:46 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Maybe I'm just lazy but a wet sand would have reduced the number of passes pretty substantially IMHO.
^This! After your 1st pass with FG400 and MF cutting pads and you did not see hardly any noticeable difference, I would have attempted a 2000 grit wetsanding (provided healthy paint thickness readings) and then used the FG400 + MF cutting pad combo to easily remove the sanding marks.

Originally Posted by daedalus
Agreed it would save a lot of time, but I don't want to risk damage to the paint with a wetsand or removing to much clearcoat as this is only the 2nd paint correction i've attempted ever and i'm a complete beginner so I think for an amateur like myself this is the safer way to do the correction, albeit one that will take much longer for the panels that have been repainted.
^Chances are, you've got significantly more clear to work with on a respray area vs. OEM paint. OEM paint is thin, very thin! It would be a good idea to invest in a paint thickness gauge for peace of mind in your future projects. You can find them for very reasonable prices if you do not mind buying chinese branded products.

Here is the one that I use and have no complaints about it!

CM8801FN Paint Thickness Gauge - Affordable for Everyone!

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Looking good. I would recommend taking the wheels off the car and cleaning them individually, as well as sealing them with wheel sealant or just any good synthetic sealant, but it's pretty time consuming.

I just ordered some detailing materials, and this brush is pretty awesome:

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

My friend (2011 ISF) bought it and I used it a few weeks ago. It's able to go inside the wheel all the way.
^Very sound advice! This will also allow you to get in the wheel wells and clean up the exposed suspension and brake components as well. You can always Opti-Coat the wheels too for optimum protection!

Keep up the good work!
Old 04-26-13, 07:48 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Great videos, thank you for providing the link, I really enjoy his tips and glad I'm not making those mistakes.

http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/top...ling-mistakes/

Interesting, he does not like to use the car duster. I just got one as a present....lol
99% of the professional detailing community will advise you to never use one of those "duster" products. There are much safer ways to quickly wipe down your vehicle.

As the OP mentioned in one of his posts in this thread, never wipe the car down with a dry material - whether that is a MF towel, duster, whatever. The best way to quickly remove dust from your car is with a quick detail spray, spray wax, or spray sealant and plush microfiber towel. The detail spray acts as a lubricant to help the towel glide across the surface and not scratch it.
Old 04-26-13, 08:21 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear with the AMMO products. I love his videos as well, in fact I used the spray just before running the wash mitt across the car method today to clean mine.

As far as dusters I have a california car duster that I use when there is a light dusting from sitting at work and I haven't seen any issues but I probably wouldn't use it on a darker color (I have MM). I think the key to using them is to just barely let it touch the paint as you drag it across.
Old 04-26-13, 08:38 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the california car duster
Old 04-27-13, 02:27 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

not trying to hijack your thread but i used the meguires clay bar kit and swissvax(some of the best and most expensive stuff out there) yesterday and it really helped the finish. Highly recommend swissvax to finish off paint correction!
Attached Thumbnails Bought It.  Now Time to Detail It.-waxed-isf-2.jpg   Bought It.  Now Time to Detail It.-waxed-isf.jpg   Bought It.  Now Time to Detail It.-waxed-isf-3.jpg  
Old 04-27-13, 04:55 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
99% of the professional detailing community will advise you to never use one of those "duster" products. There are much safer ways to quickly wipe down your vehicle.

As the OP mentioned in one of his posts in this thread, never wipe the car down with a dry material - whether that is a MF towel, duster, whatever. The best way to quickly remove dust from your car is with a quick detail spray, spray wax, or spray sealant and plush microfiber towel. The detail spray acts as a lubricant to help the towel glide across the surface and not scratch it.

Advise taken! Wondering what I will do with the duster now.......lol
Old 04-27-13, 07:13 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use it to clean your home.
Old 04-28-13, 09:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,846 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It's awesome on wood floors...
Old 04-28-13, 10:22 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and at chrisp1 which swissvax did you use.

Quick Reply: Bought It. Now Time to Detail It.