IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My PPE header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 02:48 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club I have PPE' S you won't go back.
Old 03-23-13, 04:20 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy doing video has a brand new C63 AMG P31.

Old 03-23-13, 04:25 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Well it was very bittersweet. Install was much easier than anticipated and took 5 hours not including alignment. I know it sounds pretty wicked in that video, but it just wasn't livable. WAAAYYY too loud! I had to put my stock axle back section in to get some mufflers back on the car. It now sounds basically stock. : (. Gonna have to find an exhaust solution.
Old 03-23-13, 04:36 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Borla. Not as raspy and loud as your video for sure.
Old 03-23-13, 04:54 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Take deleted cats and mufflers and multiply it by 10. It was that loud. NASCAR loud. I never realized that stock sounds very Honda Accord like until I put those mufflers back on. My mechanic said it sounded pretty wimpy...lol!
Old 03-23-13, 06:36 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Well it was very bittersweet. Install was much easier than anticipated and took 5 hours not including alignment. I know it sounds pretty wicked in that video, but it just wasn't livable. WAAAYYY too loud! I had to put my stock axle back section in to get some mufflers back on the car. It now sounds basically stock. : (. Gonna have to find an exhaust solution.
Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Borla. Not as raspy and loud as your video for sure.
when I was getting my coilovers installed today one of my buddies (FD3SISF) with PPE headers was there with his F having a Borla installed. It sounded really good, not too loud, not too quiet. He sold his JoeZ to get the Borla to get a quieter sound without being with a stock exhaust. I think this setup might work for you if you are trying to avoid excessive noise and drone.
Old 03-23-13, 06:41 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

for the time being, that sound in that video is really nice.
Old 03-23-13, 07:13 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds really nice! People who have headers and exhaust say it's too loud, but people using the Borla as an exhaust instead of other aftermarket exhausts seem to be happy and livable while driving.
Old 03-23-13, 07:32 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Sounds like Borla is the happy medium of exhausts. Stock is just really depressing after having deleted cats and mufflers. Although, in my opinion, while deleted cats and mufflers sounds amazing, it was on the edge of annoying with the drone BUT it was livable. I'm really stuck between Joe Z and Borla. I think power is the same, Joe Z is louder and better quality and cost quite a bit more. I'm scared Borla won't have enough sound and Joe Z will be over the top.

Back to the headers though...it was hard to gage a difference today as it was low 40's and rainy. Won't be able to really open it up for a few days. I think the hardest part of the install was getting a nut on a bolt on the headers. Very tight spaces and you have to keep moving the engine ever so slightly to make room. But, like I said this job was much easier than my mechanic and I thought. $400 too!
Old 03-23-13, 07:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

There's always my solution

Lou
Old 03-23-13, 07:40 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Borla, to my 39 year old ears, is still pretty loud. If it were any louder, I might have actually gone back to stock mufflers with Borla exhaust. There are some good clips around - but the best thing is find somebody in your area that has it. Borla with headers and without headers isn't too much different actually.
Old 03-23-13, 07:53 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds insane with no cats at all on the car, lol...

Question... did you re-weld your stock mufflers?
Old 03-23-13, 08:04 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

What I found is that the car is much louder when it was first started up and the first two or three drive cycles. It was way to loud at first. I have PPE and JOE z and you could not maintain a conversation while the car was idling at first. You should have driven around for a day or two to see if it got better.
Old 03-23-13, 08:58 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Yea. The exhaust and headers do quiet down later on. Maybe you should wait a few days of driving.
Old 03-23-13, 09:30 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Sounds like Borla is the happy medium of exhausts. Stock is just really depressing after having deleted cats and mufflers. Although, in my opinion, while deleted cats and mufflers sounds amazing, it was on the edge of annoying with the drone BUT it was livable. I'm really stuck between Joe Z and Borla. I think power is the same, Joe Z is louder and better quality and cost quite a bit more. I'm scared Borla won't have enough sound and Joe Z will be over the top.

Back to the headers though...it was hard to gage a difference today as it was low 40's and rainy. Won't be able to really open it up for a few days. I think the hardest part of the install was getting a nut on a bolt on the headers. Very tight spaces and you have to keep moving the engine ever so slightly to make room. But, like I said this job was much easier than my mechanic and I thought. $400 too!
Borla does sound loud. I say its the same as the Joe Z except deeper sound and very little to no drone. It does not have that annoying drone.

Quick Reply: My PPE header install