IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BC Coilovers , to upgrade the springs or not?

Old 01-21-13, 04:52 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
Default BC Coilovers , to upgrade the springs or not?

i'm about to purchase the coilovers tonight but not sure if i should spend an extra 300 and get the upgraded Swift springs. they will be 14k/10k. car is just a fun toy for me that will probably never see actually track but i do want good handling around town on the weekends and a good ride. to be honest, i do like how my tein springs/oem shocks feel. it's stiff but very solid feeling. i wonder if i will miss that sportyness?

if you guys can help and let me know , especially the ones that do have it on this car already, if its worth the upgrade.

thanks guys.
Old 01-21-13, 05:08 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i'm about to purchase the coilovers tonight but not sure if i should spend an extra 300 and get the upgraded Swift springs. they will be 14k/10k. car is just a fun toy for me that will probably never see actually track but i do want good handling around town on the weekends and a good ride. to be honest, i do like how my tein springs/oem shocks feel. it's stiff but very solid feeling. i wonder if i will miss that sportyness?

if you guys can help and let me know , especially the ones that do have it on this car already, if its worth the upgrade.

thanks guys.
I have BC coils with swift springs and couldn't be happier. Wished I would of went with 16/12 instead of 14/10, but overall car is stiff when I want it to be or comfy on longer road trips.
Old 01-21-13, 05:12 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SPoon22
I have BC coils with swift springs and couldn't be happier. Wished I would of went with 16/12 instead of 14/10, but overall car is stiff when I want it to be or comfy on longer road trips.
thanks for some feedback. why do you say you wished you went 16/12? when you say comfy, was it a huge difference from stock?
Old 01-21-13, 07:31 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Swift springs are worth the upgrade in my opinion.
Old 01-21-13, 08:10 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

After talking to Mike (Figs) I ordered the 16/12s with the Swift spring upgrade. Can't wait to put them on.
Old 01-21-13, 08:34 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If you don't have any plans of messing with the height and damping of your suspension, may I suggest that you stay with the Teins. I had BC coils (not swift springs) before and I felt that I made a mistake purchasing coilovers. My main reasons were that I did not need the adjustability, do not track my F nor am I a "stance" dude. I am now on just Swift springs (with stock shocks ) and could not be happier.
If there is a member who has had both. hope he chimes in. But honestly, I do not think there would be much difference. If I were you, I would concentrate more on the "right" springs rates which is a personal choice.
Old 01-21-13, 10:22 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

But most of us with the 08-10's upgrade for the appropriate dampening too.. do swift springs and stock shocks get rid of the unsettling feeling when you hit imperfections in the road ? the coilover solution gives the option to try and even all that out by absorbing it better
Old 01-22-13, 10:32 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

No it does not get rid of the unsettling feeling but mitigates it. In my experience, swift springs coupled with the 30 series or 35 series in the rear provide a nice ride. OP, I think James7 has a point about the coils getting rid of the unsettling of the F. But still, we don't have an answer if the upgraded coilover springs is worth the extra moolah. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-22-13, 02:35 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

i went ahead and ordered the BCR coils with swift springs today since caltrisc and another member recommended the swift upgrade. 14/10. also picked up bc racing coils for the m6 as well but regular springs. Circutsports said both are special ordered and made so about 3-4 weeks. Thanks to CM for the customer service.

i just want a better ride and to go a bit lower. i think i can and will get both with this set up. for 1300, that's not bad. i knew eventually the stock shocks would wear out with the tein drop so mine as well just swap it out now.
Old 01-22-13, 02:46 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you talk to a few of our vendors you can get the price down to only $200 for the upgrade. I was going to go this route before I changed my mind and went with KW V3
Old 01-22-13, 02:50 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't personally have the BC coilovers, but most members here get them with the swift spring upgrade and are happy with them.
Old 01-22-13, 03:08 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by edgeucated
if you talk to a few of our vendors you can get the price down to only $200 for the upgrade. I was going to go this route before I changed my mind and went with KW V3
for the is250/350 it would of been 200 since they have those coils in stock but for the ISF, completely has to be custom ordered

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
I don't personally have the BC coilovers, but most members here get them with the swift spring upgrade and are happy with them.
yeah, i saw one thread where a member said it might be too smooth, which i knew i had to get them, lol. as long as the coils are quiet and solid like the stock stuff, i will be 100 percent happy. plus im going to talk to figs about some mega arms and front busings. it might have extra harness but im trying to have everything done right
Old 01-22-13, 04:56 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive been thinking about getting a set of BC till the ohlins come out. im thinking 16/12 not sure on the swift upgrade. Im not that happy with their lowering springs. i really dislike how they changed the way my car handles, but it looks good.... Also been thinking about the hypermax m1 from hks. the few members that have them are very happy. the hks coils are 16/10k which i think would be nice for the extra weight in the nose. i think 12k in the back is getting a little crazy but maybe not could always order the BCR in 16/10 too.
Old 01-22-13, 07:55 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darbs242
Ive been thinking about getting a set of BC till the ohlins come out. im thinking 16/12 not sure on the swift upgrade. Im not that happy with their lowering springs. i really dislike how they changed the way my car handles, but it looks good.... Also been thinking about the hypermax m1 from hks. the few members that have them are very happy. the hks coils are 16/10k which i think would be nice for the extra weight in the nose. i think 12k in the back is getting a little crazy but maybe not could always order the BCR in 16/10 too.
i would be interested to see if stiffness will help or hurt your drag times. i know you have a pretty fast F. if you got bcs for the time being, they keep pretty good resale value if you look at the marketplace on here. you lose about 100 bucks after it being used which isn't much when it's time to get the ones you really wanted.
Old 01-23-13, 09:36 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i would be interested to see if stiffness will help or hurt your drag times. i know you have a pretty fast F. if you got bcs for the time being, they keep pretty good resale value if you look at the marketplace on here. you lose about 100 bucks after it being used which isn't much when it's time to get the ones you really wanted.
I dont think coils would hurt drag racing at all. It actually would give me the ability to set the front very soft and set the rear like a rock which should allow me to do better burnouts with slicks and have better 60'ft times from my experience with other cars i have had.

I have made some other changes over the winter that should boost my 1/4 times this spring. Im am very determined to keep myself up there with the fastest F's in the world. But making too many changes at once and playing with is350 gears has slowed the process down. I went back to ISF rear gears, added a LSD and a new progressive nitrous controller, along with new (bigger) jets for nitrous and ms109 hoping to make a serious impact on my times.

Another thing thats hurting me is using DOT street slick vs full blown drag slicks which once these Mickey ET2's are gone, 2 ply slicks will be replacing them. My best trap is 126mph which i believe is the fastest out there in a 1/4, that should equal high 10s all day but lack of lsd, traction and spraying in first before the new controller on street slicks couldnt do it.

I do road race the car a fair amount to and in that case the heavier front springs and coils in general are a no brainer.

Last edited by darbs242; 01-23-13 at 09:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BC Coilovers , to upgrade the springs or not?