IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*

Old 12-08-12, 01:06 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*

Hello all,

Before I go into the info I would like to thank the members that helped me out directly: "Compthis", "Obby" and "Just F Me". I have to thank "Figs" and "JoeZ" because I used pictures from their threads to help install it.

Today my buddy helped me install a 2010 IS-F Differential Unit into my 2008 IS-F. My buddy is a Head Tech at a Local Lexus Dealership who does side jobs and has a nice workshop at one of his garages at his house.

How was the install?
The install wasn't too surprising. My car is an 08 that has 36k miles on it and sees Chicago winters, so there was surface rust on things. The exhaust was actually the hardest part of the install as the hangers and the metal didn't really want to budge. The second hardest part of the install was getting the axles out of the differential, we used a pry bar and hit the end of the pry bar with a big hammer. We used a transmission jack to hold the differential up while working. We undid the holders for the FSport rear sway bar so that we could access the bolts holding up the diff.

The gear oil that came out of the 08 diff was still clean with 36k miles on it, no build up on the drain plug. The drain plug had lots of surface rust on it though on the outside. The axle splines were fine (not twisted or anything weird like that. The snap rings were still fine after we pulled the axles out from the diff.

After beating on the car coming back, I did notice that I have some small drips of gear oil. I called my buddy and he said that he probably overfilled it with oil and it was coming out from the breather (that was my assumption too). I'll be switching over to my snow tires in the next week or so and will double check things then.

How does it drive/handle?
If the 2008 IS-F or any of the normal IS cars is your first time dealing with rear wheel drive, you are going to be in for a treat. For me personally, after having high powered RWD cars with true LSD, the car finally feels "correct" to me now. Long gone is the side to side shuttering of the E-LSD doing its thing, or the feeling that the car is holding back while you are putting your foot down.

A good example is this: Imagine you are at a red light wanting to turn right and its slightly rainy and maybe 45-50 degrees. You are in sport mode with the traction control off and in D (non-manual). You are looking left and there is finally and opening and you punch it to make it.

In the car with the 08/09 diff: After you punch it you start going, the wheels spin and you start turning. Then the inside wheel (passenger rear) start spinning faster, you feel a shuddering and the car suddenly gets sideways without warning as the E-LSD kicks in to pull you around, you are not making ground now because the car is fighting itself, you have to back off the throttle.

In the car with the 10+ diff: After you punch it you start going, the wheels spin and you start turning. Then the inside wheel (passenger rear) start spinning faster, you feel a small traction loss as the diff kicks super-quickly into action and the outer wheel gets more torque pulling you around. You can give the car more throttle and it starts pulling without traction loss.

Basically with the 2010+ Torsen Diff, the car becomes more predictable and easier to manuever....or if you want to be a Hoonigan, you can get the whole car sideways and steer with your right foot so much easier than the non LSD diff.

This is pretty cool, how do I get a 10+ diff?
"Compthis" is the only other member that I know that has done this mod. He gave me a line to a brand new 2010 IS-F differential that was in a junkyard in Niagra Falls, NY. Check http://car-part.com/ and look for "Carrier" (I was looking for "differential" and not finding anything). You can also purchase a unit for ~5,000 from the dealer....

Are there any other threads on this topic?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hnuts-pic.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-install.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-2010-wow.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-my-is250.html
(this is a different diff install into an is250, however the pictures are good)

Where is your 08 Diff now? Is it for sale? I want to buy it from you to install an OS Gikken Unit so I won't have downtime in my car
I have my 36k Mile 08 Diff for sale if anyone wants it....shoot me any price you want.

Where are the pictures? (description below pic)
Name:  diff1.jpg
Views: 10234
Size:  212.8 KB
Rear section off, looking underneath the car.

Name:  diff2.jpg
Views: 10077
Size:  190.2 KB
Another shot underneath the car with old rear diff still in.

Name:  diff3.jpg
Views: 10713
Size:  244.6 KB
Rear exhaust section on the ground and new 2010 Diff.

Name:  diff4.jpg
Views: 9867
Size:  178.7 KB
Fuzzy picture of the rear FSport bar mountless and dropped down to get at screws.

Name:  diff5.jpg
Views: 9865
Size:  180.3 KB
Better shot of the rear FSport bar mountless and dropped down to get at screws.

Name:  diff6.jpg
Views: 9750
Size:  189.1 KB
08 Diff getting ready to come out.

Name:  diff7.jpg
Views: 9743
Size:  169.9 KB
Closer shot of 08 diff on trans jack getting ready to come out.

Disconnecting bolts and diff.

Name:  diff9.jpg
Views: 9817
Size:  162.6 KB
08 Diff out and 10 Diff sitting on trans jack, putting lube on seals.

Name:  diff10.jpg
Views: 10217
Size:  233.2 KB
08 Diff out and 10 Diff sitting on trans jack, putting lube on seals.

I told myself that I wasn't going to modify this car....bought it used with Ceritified Pre-owned..however the LSD unit is something that should have been given to us from the factory...
I apologize for not having more pictures...I was actually helping do the work :-D
Also, Obby you are crazy for doing this on your back on jackstands lol

Last edited by MisterSkiz; 12-08-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-08-12, 01:19 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Great write up! Fortunate for you to have found a LSD at the junkyard. I was imagining your scenario about making a quick right turn, as I had to do so about a week or so ago. I didn't have TRAC off or sport mode at the time, but I could still hear the tire screech when I was making that turn. It certainly helps to know people who you can rely on to install something like this in our rides.
Old 12-08-12, 01:29 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Thanks! Yes it sure does help to know people!
Old 12-08-12, 02:02 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i just bought a 2011 carrier out of CA for 820 shipped, il be doing the swap in the next few weeks, exciting mod
Old 12-08-12, 02:04 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of work..... Good job...
Old 12-08-12, 02:05 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by darbs242
i just bought a 2011 carrier out of CA for 820 shipped, il be doing the swap in the next few weeks, exciting mod
That is awesome man!!!! How many miles were on it! Super cheap!
Old 12-08-12, 02:09 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
That is awesome man!!!! How many miles were on it! Super cheap!
12,800 miles, Car got slammed in the nose and the salvaged it. Found it the same way you found yours. car-parts.com under rear carrier. You have to watch the site often to get one.
Old 12-08-12, 02:17 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by darbs242
12,800 miles, Car got slammed in the nose and the salvaged it. Found it the same way you found yours. car-parts.com under rear carrier. You have to watch the site often to get one.
So awesome man! I kinda felt bad when I bought that one that you had your sights on.
Old 12-08-12, 02:21 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, good job! Traction is key with speed!
Old 12-08-12, 04:17 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Nice writeup!
Old 12-08-12, 08:47 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this diff talk is getting me more and more antsy about getting it for my car. We have a car (SRT 8 Superbee) with an LSD and I could totally tell that it's different from the open diff. But I just can't get a hold of one.
Old 12-09-12, 01:04 AM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Good job with all the work and research.
Old 12-09-12, 06:54 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice write up! Thank you
Old 12-09-12, 11:11 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome awesome write up!! I'm glad everything worked out with ease.
Old 12-09-12, 03:37 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Update: I got under car today to check out the seepage of gear oil. It looks like it was coming from between the bottom of rear cover and the case. I used some oil pan gasket sealant and caked it on pretty well. I'm letting it cure and will drive the car tomorrow on the interstate.

Last edited by MisterSkiz; 12-10-12 at 05:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*