IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z exhaust vs. deleted cats and mufflers

Old 12-03-12, 12:54 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Header and exhaust is the best. It is soo mean when you get on it. You get a little bit of a raspy sound when you are up in the higher RPM. The drone is not bad at all also. Barely noticeable. If you have any music on at like 5 volume you wont even hear it. Headers are for sure the way to go. PPE is where its at also.
Old 12-03-12, 12:55 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Happy Wife but not so happy life=die slowly a bit everyday lolz. maybe different stories with wives
Old 12-03-12, 01:08 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zapa
Header and exhaust is the best. It is soo mean when you get on it. You get a little bit of a raspy sound when you are up in the higher RPM. The drone is not bad at all also. Barely noticeable. If you have any music on at like 5 volume you wont even hear it. Headers are for sure the way to go. PPE is where its at also.
Hoping to get the black PPE headers, but I'll take the Sikky's as well. I'm getting new Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on tonight as well, so that's just more money being thrown at the car. I will say that things are MUCH cheaper with the F than the GT-R! Back to sound though...I did test drive an F back when I had my GT-R that had headers with stock exhaust. Could really notice much of a difference than stock as far as sound goes. Also, when I deleted my cats, I thought it sounded the same as stock. It was when the mufflers left it got loud. Lets put it this way, I can't hear the 2nd intake open up at all anymore. Can you still hear it with the Joe Z and headers?
Old 12-03-12, 01:38 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Hoping to get the black PPE headers, but I'll take the Sikky's as well. I'm getting new Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on tonight as well, so that's just more money being thrown at the car. I will say that things are MUCH cheaper with the F than the GT-R! Back to sound though...I did test drive an F back when I had my GT-R that had headers with stock exhaust. Could really notice much of a difference than stock as far as sound goes. Also, when I deleted my cats, I thought it sounded the same as stock. It was when the mufflers left it got loud. Lets put it this way, I can't hear the 2nd intake open up at all anymore. Can you still hear it with the Joe Z and headers?
Yes you can. Once the second intake opens up hell breaks loose .
Old 12-03-12, 02:24 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I've heard zapa's car from both the inside and outside with the PPE/JoeZ combo. It sounds mean, especially at the upper RPMs. It's also very quick. But make no mistake, next to the sound in my car it is a different animal entirely. Personally, I like the fact that with the stock exhaust, the note at startup and idle is just throaty enough that people think "oh hey... wait a minute, that thing has something big under the hood" but while cruising around, it flies completely under the radar. Car guys and gals will notice you, but most other people think you just have a "regular" Lexus. That's exactly the look (and sound) that I was going for. With zapa, there's no fooling anyone. You know that his car means business.

Thank goodness my wife doesn't have a taste for high-end purses and bags. She likes to spend tons of money on the house and decorations and stuff for the kids. But if you want a $2000 exhaust I guess you can't argue with her wanting a $2000 bag!
Old 12-03-12, 03:28 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DekNgo
Was this with the windows down? It sounds really good, but very loud.
Yes windows were down... One thing I'm also just guessing, but I think at the time of this video, one of my OEM headers had a crack in it, therefore making it even more loud.

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Trust me his car is obnoxiously loud and the drone is even worst . But he likes it , that's all is matter .
It's loud when you get on it, but honestly, drive it like a normal person, it's not even loud at all. But if you floor it...yea...everyone is going to know you've got a big motor under the hood. Obnoxiously loud? I dunno about that....maybe if you're a sissy to this sort of thing

Originally Posted by 7No
If we could afford that for my wife, I'd have an LFA!
If you could afford an LFA, your wife wouldn't have some cheap $2300 purse (not saying to the other post that $2300 is cheap for a purse). If you were rolling in a LFA, your wife probably would expect a $20k+ Hermes purse.
Old 12-03-12, 04:12 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

@ VBB you need to get PPE and Joe Z. Its too much fun, though now i have to worry about ending up in jail.....
Old 12-03-12, 05:05 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

IMO, just the joe Z exhaust alone drones a lot, i would think headers would amplify that sound. i got to ride in a local ISF with joe Z, sounds great though but that drone...shheesh
Old 12-03-12, 06:35 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Obnoxiously loud? I dunno about that....

Denial and more denial , ask any F members from socal . 110% will agree with me son lolz
Old 12-03-12, 06:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I made this statement in a thread last February:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
From all the reading I've done on these forums regarding exhaust systems, their seems to be a big disparity in what drone is or is not. We all have our own ideas. And personally, I can't stand drone or a real aggressive exhaust tone. That is why I have gone to the lengths that I have to retain the stock mufflers, even if it means a little more restriction. IMHO, the solution I have finally come upon is the best of all worlds. I luv my system from the PPE headers to the stock tips

Lou
Mr. Z took exception to my comments:

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Tom, do you currently experience the soo called "drone" that Lou describes ???

I drive over 70 miles a day and carry multiple business calls & meetings via Bluetooth ..
Like you, I'm running OEM manifolds - NO DRONE..!!

If only a few people have an opinion of a so called "drone", then it's a personal preference sound issue.

Just my own expert opinion.

Joe Z
I still stick by what I said back then, IMHO, The JoeZ exhaust system has a very aggressive tone, and it most certainly does drone. This phenomena is exaggerated when headers are introduced into the system.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-03-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 07:09 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect! So many different responses on it. Talked to a friend tonight that had Joe Z on his old F and he said minor drone around 1800 rpm. I drove a a car with headers only and to me it sounded stock. haven't been in one with both. I guess I just need to find someone with the setup and go for a ride. Anyone around Tulsa, OK?
Old 12-03-12, 07:40 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Denial and more denial , ask any F members from socal . 110% will agree with me son lolz
yea...because they're all weenies! wahh...too much drone...wahhh...it's too loud.

blah...just leave the car stock then

Nah but seriously...yeah, removing the resonator and mufflers is only for those who um....uh...damn...i can't figure out how to describe it other than an obnoxiously loud exhaust...LOL
Old 12-03-12, 09:28 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

im pretty sure every aftermarket exhaust mod, this car will have droe at 1600-2000 rpm. after reading tons of post, these seems like that certain rpm that it drones. it will not drone below or higher than that rpm. but the thing that sucks is that's the part of the rpm you use when driving normal slow speeds and highway speeds in 8th gear. thats why i think me and other members do complain , because we dont drive the car like we stole it everytime we get in the car and some do take freeways and long trip drives. some of us also have corporate jobs and a loud, droning exhaust is no bueno to other professionals. sucks but its worth it at times lol.
Old 12-04-12, 05:44 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

the drone is not bad at all. I have taken 2 hour drives on highways and you barely notice it.
Old 12-30-12, 08:55 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Whats cost to just do second cat delete? Will a muffler shop give you emissions crap about modding it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe Z exhaust vs. deleted cats and mufflers