IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

GROM USB2 Audio Integration

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 03:59 PM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GROM USB2 Audio Integration

I recently purchased the GROM USB2 unit for my 2008 ISF. Below is my experience/review.

Originally, I was looking for Bluetooth playback (A2DP) for my iPhone through my head unit. I tried the Black Berry media gateway option but did not stream music seamlessly (and it would lose my BT profile from time to time which meant I had to pair again and again). Also, I wanted to make use of the steering wheel audio controls.

I also purchased the SCOSCHE BFTAK unit for the ISF. It allowed me to stream music, but the quality was horrible and again, it was not seamless switching between phone calls and music.

So, a few days ago I purchased and installed the GROM USB2 unit. The GROM unit offers wired connection to the iPhone or supports A2DP playback. It also allows you to plug in a flash drive and playback digital audio files (ie. mp3). After the installation (super easy), I was impressed to see that A2DP playback was easy (as easy as pushing play), audio quality was superb (i'm no audiophile), and transitioning between phone calls and music streaming was seamless. I was on the fence on purchasing the USB2 model that allows playback from a flash drive but this is a great bonus. I can have a 16GB library of my music and can easily be accessed through the NAV screen. It show folders, albums, and titles all on the NAV screen which makes it easy to pick and choose. Although the unit allows for Bluetooth handsfree calls, I am using the factory handsfree and works great.

I recommend this unit if you are looking for A2DP playback (support Android now, but I don't have an Android to review), and support for reading off a flash drive. Although pricey (about $200), I am very happy with the unit.
Old 08-29-12, 07:54 PM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

I have a $30 go groove a2dp adapter and it works well. However, of course nothing shows on the screen. I had a CT loaner today and the a2dp in that was amazing. Does the Grom unit allow you to see the track info on the screen?
Old 08-30-12, 05:52 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Pretty cool!

So it plugs/piggybacks onto the CD in port on the back of the stereo in the car and that is how you can see things on the NAV screen?

Do you have pictures about how you set it up in your car?

Also I am assuming that you still have use of your OEM CD Changer?

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

Last edited by MisterSkiz; 08-30-12 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-30-12, 08:15 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the Grom integration, can you input a specific song you want? Or do I need to scroll through the entire list of songs to select one? And can you select/change songs while the car is in motion?
Old 08-30-12, 09:02 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
With the Grom integration, can you input a specific song you want? Or do I need to scroll through the entire list of songs to select one? And can you select/change songs while the car is in motion?
you can't choose a specific song unless ur choosing it from your phone. on the touch screen you would have to scroll...you can switch songs via the steering wheel while in motion but the touch sceen is not going to let you switch songs while in motion unless this device connects to the auxillary port to bypass the while in motion feature.
Old 08-30-12, 11:47 AM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Does the Grom unit allow you to see the track info on the screen? - No, not from A2DP playback, but yes on the USB playback and direct connect to an iPod

So it plugs/piggybacks onto the CD in port on the back of the stereo in the car and that is how you can see things on the NAV screen? - Yes, piggybacks onto CD port. NAV screen acts like normal. Just hit the Aux button to play through the bluetooh/usb/ipod.

Do you have pictures about how you set it up in your car? - Not yet, i'll try to do a video.

Also I am assuming that you still have use of your OEM CD Changer?
- Yes, CD changer works like normal.

With the Grom integration, can you input a specific song you want? Or do I need to scroll through the entire list of songs to select one? And can you select/change songs while the car is in motion?- If you using the USB or iPod, yes you can select song and view folders but only when the car is stopped. Acts just like scrolling through a CD with MP3 songs
Old 08-30-12, 01:36 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love to add this integration to my car, however there are many times where I would like to play a random song from my iPod. I have not seen any device that allows me to enter a song name/artist manually and have it show up. It would be nice, for example with a keyboard layout, and we would be able to input the song name and play it.
Old 08-30-12, 01:44 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BT is always horrible quality compared to nice great wires!
Old 08-30-12, 06:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I have a Plantronics Backbeat 903+ I use with my BlackBerry and I would not call the audio horrible at all. A2DP is pretty reasonable for MP3 playback or Pandora with a GSM connection.
Old 08-31-12, 10:33 AM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have a Plantronics Backbeat 903+ I use with my BlackBerry and I would not call the audio horrible at all. A2DP is pretty reasonable for MP3 playback or Pandora with a GSM connection.
Agreed. A2DP playback is very good for my everyday commute playing through the ML stereo. And it's great not to have to plug in every time I enter the car.
Old 11-17-14, 05:26 AM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Is this the unit that you guys have purchased for A2DP playback?

Old 11-17-14, 08:12 AM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you play music off of iheart radio?
Old 11-17-14, 10:36 AM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TCM55
Is this the unit that you guys have purchased for A2DP playback?

Yes, I believe that is the one I purchased.

Originally Posted by v8sten
can you play music off of iheart radio?
Yes, I can stream iHeart Radio via Bluetooth.
Old 11-17-14, 02:22 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hyb1212id
Yes, I believe that is the one I purchased.

Yes, I can stream iHeart Radio via Bluetooth.
Thanks
Old 11-21-14, 04:09 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Any tips on installation (such as box location)?
Also do I need to install the microphone to do voice calls with the install?

Thanks

Quick Reply: GROM USB2 Audio Integration