IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 08:45 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam order your headers already. I know Gil is going to get one soon.
Old 08-20-12, 08:48 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
Hey SPoon22 thanks for the review and offer of a ride unfortunately I'm in norcal or I'd definitely take you up on your offer. Anyhow, so the 14/10 setup is stiffer than stock? I'm looking for something comparable to stock or at least a little more comfy. I'd hate for all my interior parts to start rattling like my old G35 :/
14/10 is not stiffer than stocks and rides a lot more comfortably as long as you're not on the stiffest damper settings. FIGS recommendation of 14 clicks from hardest in the rear and 9 clicks from the hardest in the front is an excellent start to work with. There is no rattle with this set up and a better quality daily ride as well. I stiffened my rear to 5 clicks from stiffest because I rub in the rear due to wheel offset and tire size. I was actually in the bay area with my car 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-20-12, 08:53 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Sam order your headers already. I know Gil is going to get one soon.
Hahaha Ken!! Don't think I will be getting headers. I already got everything I said I would not get...you guys spread the modding virus like wildfire yo. Too much $$ spent...
Old 08-20-12, 08:55 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I just had mine installed and corner balanced a couple of weeks ago. I got the 16k/12k swift springs instead of the lower spring rates as I do go to the track... On damping settings of 14 front and 19 rear the ride was even softer and more comfortable to my '11 oem stock suspension... I stiffened them to 9 front and 14 rear for my recent track day and it was slightly stiffer than stock... Hope this helps!
Nice ERDoc..wish I went with 16/12 spring rates with more room to play with on the damper. Oh well I got what was recommended...
Old 08-21-12, 08:53 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

You paid the big money for an IS-F why not get some KW?
Old 08-21-12, 10:33 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm usually an advocate of getting the best coilovers for a car but BC makes fairly decent products. My friend was R&Ding the first BC coilovers for the FX and it drove very well. For half the price you can't go wrong as long as the build quality is there.
Old 08-21-12, 10:55 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dmk08
You paid the big money for an IS-F why not get some KW?
Ummm to save money to travel the world! ;-)

Next stop Cancun/Cozumel...

How about our next meet there? We can test our suspension on Mexican Highway 2
Old 08-21-12, 11:25 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I went with the BCR's for a few reasons.....
1. They were cheaper, but not "cheap" quality.....
2. If/when they ever Go "bad", the replacement shock bodies are an easy swap for a shop and don't necessitate removal and sending it somewhere to get repaired and potential prolonged down time of the car...
3. The BCR's have dampening extenders that make adjustment a breeze and no crawling around under the car, etc to make adjustments.... (also the single adjustment makes it a little easier for someone like me who needs it simple and the more complicated dual adjustment just seemed more confusing to adjust properly..... For me anyway....LOL)
4. Many people with the ISF and many other cars have had these coilovers and have raved about them and definitely had a positive experience with them.....
Old 08-21-12, 11:45 AM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I went with the BCR's for a few reasons.....
1. They were cheaper, but not "cheap" quality.....
2. If/when they ever Go "bad", the replacement shock bodies are an easy swap for a shop and don't necessitate removal and sending it somewhere to get repaired and potential prolonged down time of the car...
3. The BCR's have dampening extenders that make adjustment a breeze and no crawling around under the car, etc to make adjustments.... (also the single adjustment makes it a little easier for someone like me who needs it simple and the more complicated dual adjustment just seemed more confusing to adjust properly..... For me anyway....LOL)
4. Many people with the ISF and many other cars have had these coilovers and have raved about them and definitely had a positive experience with them.....
I agree with ERDoc. Plus I went with the swift springs upgrade. They are widely used in Japan and heard nothing but good things on them. I don't track nor race and am on a limited budget hence I got what I think is the next best thing aside from KWs. No complaints so far regarding them...
Old 08-21-12, 01:33 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

there are two sets for sale on the forum...one set is 14k/10k and the other is 10k/8k...should i try to grab the 14k/10k ones? The guy who is selling them says they sure are stiff...i know its all relative to your personal preference...
Old 08-21-12, 03:10 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, I would stay away from the 10k/8k setup. Basically "rate" is simply the amount of weight required to deflect a spring (any spring) one-inch! The lower the rate, the softer the spring. The softer the spring the smoother the ride. If you're going to upgrade, I'm pretty sure you're upgrading to be more aggressive and I think the 10k/8k would be too soft. Sam went with the 14k/10k and he still wanted to go stiffer. ERDoc likes his 16k/12k and seems to like that. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-21-12, 03:34 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Dan, I would stay away from the 10k/8k setup. Basically "rate" is simply the amount of weight required to deflect a spring (any spring) one-inch! The lower the rate, the softer the spring. The softer the spring the smoother the ride. If you're going to upgrade, I'm pretty sure you're upgrading to be more aggressive and I think the 10k/8k would be too soft. Sam went with the 14k/10k and he still wanted to go stiffer. ERDoc likes his 16k/12k and seems to like that. Just some food for thought.
Hey 2ndGF, thanks for the reply. I am looking to keep at the very least the stock handling characteristics of the car but improve the overall ride quality of the car especially while driving over imperfections in the road (there are a ton here in San Francisco). I was hoping to get a set up that wouldn't be as "bone jarring" over the imperfection or can absorb the imperfections better.

I don't know if having a more comfy ride along with better handling is possible but would 14k/10k be the closest I could get
Old 08-21-12, 03:44 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

i have 16/12 i wish i went with 18/14
Old 08-21-12, 03:54 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
Hey 2ndGF, thanks for the reply. I am looking to keep at the very least the stock handling characteristics of the car but improve the overall ride quality of the car especially while driving over imperfections in the road (there are a ton here in San Francisco). I was hoping to get a set up that wouldn't be as "bone jarring" over the imperfection or can absorb the imperfections better.

I don't know if having a more comfy ride along with better handling is possible but would 14k/10k be the closest I could get
The roads in NorCal is definitely more horrible. I went back to Pleasanton/San Jose three weeks ago and I was rubbing like crazy in the rear, but that is due to my wheels setup. The coils at the damper settings I mentioned in an earlier post is super comfortable. The coils absorbs the bumps and dips splendidly as well as gripping the road more. It does not feel as "floaty" during higher speeds (+70 mph) like with the stock suspension did. If you like the car stiff and riding on rails get 16k/12k or higher. If you want comfort with better handling (14/10) to me is awesome. I only want stiffer because I rub in the rear and; frankly, 10k feels too soft to me.
Old 08-21-12, 03:57 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiLS
i have 16/12 i wish i went with 18/14
LOL LILS you are pushing the damper to pretty darn soft unless you want it bumpy as hell. Even with the 14k/10k at the stiffest damper setting it was unbearable in the front and bouncy as hell. I could only imagine 18/14. >.<

Last edited by SPoon22; 08-21-12 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?