CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Front F Bushing offering and eye opening video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 07:10 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Front F Bushing offering and eye opening video inside.

And finally posted a bushing video that will blow you away. Watch how much deflection there is in the stock IS-F #2 front LCA bushing. Then see how little there is in the SuperPro/FIGS HP version. We will also make a solid spherical to reduce it further but this should suffice for daily drivers and mild track use. There is still some poke and we are looking into further retraining it, but it will be a big upgrade over stock. We believe this, coupled with the caster angle, is the leading cause of inner tire wear. The toe will change drastically every time you brake, imagine on a track day with stickier tires. We are having 5 of these bushings made and will start a thread in the vendor section to take pre orders. Should be here in a week.

We have already determined one of our existing solid spherical bearings will fit, so we just need to press a few in and making some spacer adjustments. Stay tuned.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 07-16-12, 09:49 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

finally the resolution to the fronts. i think mines are doing fine at the moment but if I see the thread started to wear out on the inside, I'm getting these...
Old 07-16-12, 09:53 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just in time as i just got my new tires mounted!!!
Old 07-16-12, 10:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Looks like a win. I had a pretty strong feeling that big squishy bushing was the real problem. The video proves it pretty conclusively.
Old 07-17-12, 05:28 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Figs you are thinking the tires are toeing out under braking, thereby causing the inner tire wear issues? There is a massive amount of deflection in that bushing, it's just not clear to me when its happening.
Old 07-17-12, 07:14 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

With the new bushing, is ride quality softer or about the same?
Old 07-17-12, 09:12 AM
FIGS
The Maker

The ride is undetectable different as far as NVH goes. The stock bushings sees deflection on any force on the tire. The SP bushing along sees deflection under hard braking. We also have a 80 duro version that shows a little more delfection on hard braking but is still stable during driving.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 07-17-12, 09:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
So Figs you are thinking the tires are toeing out under braking, thereby causing the inner tire wear issues? There is a massive amount of deflection in that bushing, it's just not clear to me when its happening.
The video shows severe change under braking. Intuitively, you would think it would toe the front in because the steering rack leads the knuckle, but the wear patterns don't support this idea at all. The other thing you would expect is reduced camber and caster under braking because the LCA twisting the way it does moves the lower knuckle joint to the back and inward at the same time which should reduce caster and camber at the same time. Of course this all assumes the bushings on the top are not nearly as flexible as the one on the bottom. All of this is why real race cars use solid bushings for all the joints. They're terrible for NVH, but they hold alignment under load (at least until the chassis flexes, but that's a separate issue.)
Old 07-17-12, 09:20 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Subscribed
Old 07-17-12, 09:26 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

hmmm very interesting. Definitely subscribed.
Old 07-17-12, 02:46 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

Figs, is this a must do upgrade to keep uneven wear from happening on the stock front tires? I have noticed the wear is alittle more inside than out and I'm not even lowered.
Old 07-17-12, 02:51 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After watching the video, im convinced you got a good point and a positive solution to fixing the camber wear. Subbed for more info. Good Stuff FIGS !
Old 07-17-12, 06:25 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 07-17-12, 09:59 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by spddemon
Figs, is this a must do upgrade to keep uneven wear from happening on the stock front tires? I have noticed the wear is alittle more inside than out and I'm not even lowered.
Yes I am postive that this will have an impact on tire wear regardless of ride height since there is so much dynamic toe.

I will get more data, like how much toe deflection there is if possible. I guess I never really commented on the increase in driver feel from this mod as well. I have som brake bias due to different pads but once I have both sets of balanced pads on the car I will get some better shots of the braking stability etc. I will have to press the stock bushings back in to get futher data on that point, but you should be able to hook up a go pro if you have one on any of your cars and point it at the front wheel more or less straight back. Its hard to get pespective with a fisheye, so perhaps some SD narrow angle shots will suffice as well.

Also, to somewhat narrate the video, it starts with a back down my driveway and off of a curb. Then a quick accel to the corner, stop, right turn, accell and hard stop. I have a longer video with the stock bushings bud needed to confirm my youtube account before I could upload it, so I will try to post that vid that has all three bushings for a longer study.

Mike

Last edited by FIGS; 07-17-12 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 06:53 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Have have uneven wear in both inside and outside on my front and outside wear on the rear. I guess I need an alignment. Just waiting when I get some new tires. My tires have less than 15K miles on it and its ready to be change.

Quick Reply: New Product Front F Bushing offering and eye opening video inside.