CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Front F Bushing offering and eye opening video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 05:13 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I had these bushing installed over a month ago. So far there isn't any addition noise or vibration that I've notice. However, there is a slight rightward drift. I think the subframe needs to be re-aligned after getting these bushings installed.
When the bushings were installed, it's best practice that the alignment should be done right away.

Originally Posted by RCB
No, if your not trying to correct an issue then you do not need any offset in the bushing. You most likely will want this version.
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=138

The 90 durometer works very well and does not seem to add much if any NVH.
I don't have inner wear but a bit of the outerwear because apparently the alignment tech put in more toe to take in account the stock bushings would have that deflection.

I believe the regular one should also work for me then?

Last edited by Sango; 10-03-12 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-02-12, 09:57 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

FYI, we also are testing a camber changing upper arm bushing as well for additional camber/camber correction. Though I think really only additional camber would be desirable.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 10-02-12, 10:16 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCB
No, if your not trying to correct an issue then you do not need any offset in the bushing. You most likely will want this version.
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=138

The 90 durometer works very well and does not seem to add much if any NVH.
A-ha. Now that makes sense, thanks.
Old 10-16-12, 05:43 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about tram lining?
My gut tells me that would be much more pronounced if you put a bushing with not much deflection.
Old 10-16-12, 10:35 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by chikoo
What about tram lining?
My gut tells me that would be much more pronounced if you put a bushing with not much deflection.
Explain.
Tram lining is almost always the result of compliance...because the road overtakes control from the vehicle steering and geometry. These bushings offer resistance to that force and hold the geometry intact.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 10-17-12, 07:25 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can vouch for the fact that tram lining is not a side effect of these bushings. I have very wide tires and live in an are of the country that has some really bad roads. When I worked as a dealer tech. I had new cars coming back all the time for so called alignment issues when the cars where really tram lining on a bad stretch of I95. On that same stretch of road I have no issue with my Figs bushing equipt ISF.

IMHO replacing the marshmallow, liquid filled OEM bushing for Figs offering is a no brainier. They actually do what they say and make an improvement to the car and not just in the motorsports aspect but also for regular driving.
Old 10-17-12, 06:20 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FIGS
Explain.
Tram lining is almost always the result of compliance...because the road overtakes control from the vehicle steering and geometry. These bushings offer resistance to that force and hold the geometry intact.
I have the IS250 with the soft bushings and have yet to experience tramlining.
I had cars with much more road feel (prob due to harder bushings) and they always tramlined at the lightest deviation in the road surface.
Therein I hypothesized that the softer bushings is allowing the individual tires to deflect without pulling the whole car along with it.
Old 10-18-12, 02:43 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I have the IS250 with the soft bushings and have yet to experience tramlining.
I had cars with much more road feel (prob due to harder bushings) and they always tramlined at the lightest deviation in the road surface.
Therein I hypothesized that the softer bushings is allowing the individual tires to deflect without pulling the whole car along with it.
In my experience tram lining is mostly attributed to the tires. It seems that the more parallel the tread design is to the rotation of the tires, the worse they tram line. I've swapped "parallel tread" tires with ones that have a more perpendicular tread design (on the same car) and the tram lining disappeared.

While these were by no means scientific experiments, I've noticed improvements every time I've switched from parallel to perpendicular tread designs.
Old 10-18-12, 04:18 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by DekNgo
In my experience tram lining is mostly attributed to the tires. It seems that the more parallel the tread design is to the rotation of the tires, the worse they tram line. I've swapped "parallel tread" tires with ones that have a more perpendicular tread design (on the same car) and the tram lining disappeared.

While these were by no means scientific experiments, I've noticed improvements every time I've switched from parallel to perpendicular tread designs.
Tread and tire style present the guide force that the road will influence the tire with...how much the pitch of the tread falls into the pavement grooves. But a firm bushing will put control back into your hands vs the tire making the choice for you. The control experience should be better with a bushing that gives proper feedback. That falls into the "counter-influence" force that you can put on the tire trying to deflect. Past experience may not come into play because the geometry is not typical. In a true symmetric double wishbone with no rear radial bushing and depending on the type of bushings that were installed, you might see different toe changes.
Old 10-18-12, 04:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by DekNgo

I agree, and all Max Performance summer tires that I know of have the "parallel tread" you describe. The trait is also exacerbated with wide low profile tires, again a trait of Max Performance tires. Over the years it's something I've learned to live with.

BTW, you've never really experienced Tramlining until you've driver a motorcycle with a center groove in the tire on the streets of Southern California. It can sometimes get pretty scary

Lou
Old 10-18-12, 04:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Quote from Tirerack...guess I was wrong
"Imagine a worn suspension that allows a front wheel and tire to swing between the recommended 1/16-inch of toe-in and 1/16-inch of toe-out when it encounters a rut in the road. This 1/8-inch difference in the direction that the tire is pointed will result in the vehicle tramlining. Replace the worn part to remove the play and you will significantly reduce or remove the tramlining. Many drivers with higher mileage cars have reported that replacing worn suspension components has eliminated tramlining and made the car drive like it is new again...which I guess it essentially is!"
Old 10-18-12, 08:41 PM
08F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This bushing seems like a great product for the F. When discussing the inner tire wear on the front with my lexus dealer when I had to replace the fronts after 12k, the service guy said that he sees it on all the IS models and that it is just a characteristic of having these types of cars. I knew that there had to be a design flaw somewhere.
Old 10-22-12, 01:27 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

What do you guys think is a reasonable amount of hours for a shop to bill me for installing these bushings? Two hours?

Thinking of getting these installed in my IS350 before I take it to the track for the first time this December. Hoping they can save me a little wear, and potentially improve steering feel.
Old 10-22-12, 11:13 PM
FIGS
The Maker

2 hrs should be enough. Maybe 3 if you count the pull in setup and torque lookup for the first time job.
Old 11-02-12, 02:09 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So I called a local tuning shop that has a pretty good reputation around here, and they quoted me $750 (7.5 hours) of labor!!!

That includes the alignment, but still... jesus christ. Anyone else who got these installed have any input? How much were you charged? I mean it only cost me about $500 to get my aftermarket coilovers installed and corner balanced at a reputable shop. Are these really 50% MORE labor than that?

I'm gonna try calling a couple other places, but if I can't do MUCH better than that, I'm not even gonna bother. Not worth it for $1K.

Quick Reply: New Product Front F Bushing offering and eye opening video inside.