CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Front F Bushing offering and eye opening video inside.

Old 07-18-12, 07:21 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great R&D Figs!! Thanks for your time and a new product!

subscribed
Old 07-18-12, 09:15 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

preorder page and links
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post7365264
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 07-18-12, 11:08 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be a great fix
Old 07-18-12, 12:08 PM
FIGS
The Maker

here is the extended video with more of the stock bushing and the 80 duro bushing
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 07-18-12, 01:23 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would the engineers at Lexus decide to use such a soft bushing if they knew that under hard braking and normal driving conditions the toe would become so dramatic on the front wheels? What are the reasons that Lexus engineers had for using these bushings in the first place if it isn't changing ride comfort characteristics?
Old 07-18-12, 11:05 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Why would the engineers at Lexus decide to use such a soft bushing if they knew that under hard braking and normal driving conditions the toe would become so dramatic on the front wheels? What are the reasons that Lexus engineers had for using these bushings in the first place if it isn't changing ride comfort characteristics?
I think its just a platform artifact. Born of the GS, this suspension is used on 6 models. It is a horrible decision and typical of the automaker that is coming from a luxury profile over a performace heritage. The F was the first performance purposed vehicle brought to market by a luxury automaker and while certainly a bolder venture into the genre, it was by not means a limitless investment.. I think there is still trouble defining the demographic that both wants raw performance but also demands the Lexus experience.

Certain tradeoffs are made when building a luxury car over a track-ready road rapist. I think that this was just an oversight but not inconsistent with the rest of the lineup. Even the previous platforms #2 caster arm bushings is a horrible design for the same reasons.
Old 07-18-12, 11:16 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed
Old 07-19-12, 04:06 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
It's intentional. They designed it into the suspension on purpose.

FIGS is right on the money. This design is intended for luxury driving, not performance driving. Although there are many changed features for the IS F, this was not one of them. The advanced student should read more details in the attached PDF covering the design features of both front and rear suspension.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Suspension_and_Axle.pdf (578.7 KB, 1052 views)
Old 07-19-12, 04:32 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ The 3rd bullet point under "Front Suspension Lower Arm Assembly" pretty much sums it up. "A large diameter liquid filled type bushing is used for the lower arm No. 2 bushing for optimal vibration and harshness control" - this helps maintain the "luxury" aspect of their suspension.

@ Figs - have you guys noticed any apparent "vibrations" or a "harsher" ride yet with your bushings?
Old 07-19-12, 09:02 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's intentional. They designed it into the suspension on purpose.

FIGS is right on the money. This design is intended for luxury driving, not performance driving. Although there are many changed features for the IS F, this was not one of them. The advanced student should read more details in the attached PDF covering the design features of both front and rear suspension.
Perfect Lance,
I have been looking for that doc but could not remember the category. IS this on TIS or was it in the general F suspension docs? It explains a lot of the "why" and and methodologies they tried to employ, but comfort and luxury come up repeatedly in the document meaning it was a primary goal to maintain this as a feature. The pdf also covers the anti-dive geometry of the control arms and should help people understand further why the front RCA spacer is a bad idea.

I honestly do not feel a significant increase in NVH, but I also have a lot of variables at the moment and you will to. Tires are a significant contributor to high frequency noise and a change in tread wear can be more significant than this mod in my opinion. Once we do a solid bushing here that is really where the NVH should spike up. I view the benefits as far greater than the increase in NVH simply due to the fact that you have more control and more feedback. That is what this car is about in the first place. I believe that all these deviations to luxury are a primary reason why there is a learning curve to drving this car fast and why so many reviews of it initially were lack luster while long term experiences where that of delight. The car has a lot of these second order effects that make it odd in handling behavior and it takes a while to unserstand what its doing.

Its not easy designing a car like this especially when you have a legacy to follow. You cannot leave your base just because of one model. I have received feedback from the dealer that several have been returned due to too much harshness. Which is another irony that they would go to all this trouble to maintain luxury yet install such an anti-fucntional shock setup.
Old 07-19-12, 09:10 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Nice work Mike...!!!
&
Great information Lance..!!!

Maybe the Chief Engineer will look into this for the next gen M14 IS-F..

~ Joe Z
Old 07-19-12, 12:42 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

subscribed.
Old 07-20-12, 09:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Perfect Lance,
I have been looking for that doc but could not remember the category. IS this on TIS or was it in the general F suspension docs? It explains a lot of the "why" and and methodologies they tried to employ, but comfort and luxury come up repeatedly in the document meaning it was a primary goal to maintain this as a feature. The pdf also covers the anti-dive geometry of the control arms and should help people understand further why the front RCA spacer is a bad idea.

I honestly do not feel a significant increase in NVH, but I also have a lot of variables at the moment and you will to. Tires are a significant contributor to high frequency noise and a change in tread wear can be more significant than this mod in my opinion. Once we do a solid bushing here that is really where the NVH should spike up. I view the benefits as far greater than the increase in NVH simply due to the fact that you have more control and more feedback. That is what this car is about in the first place. I believe that all these deviations to luxury are a primary reason why there is a learning curve to drving this car fast and why so many reviews of it initially were lack luster while long term experiences where that of delight. The car has a lot of these second order effects that make it odd in handling behavior and it takes a while to unserstand what its doing.

Its not easy designing a car like this especially when you have a legacy to follow. You cannot leave your base just because of one model. I have received feedback from the dealer that several have been returned due to too much harshness. Which is another irony that they would go to all this trouble to maintain luxury yet install such an anti-fucntional shock setup.
The doc is from the New Car Features 2008 model on TIS. The NCF is one of the greatest resources for understanding both what and why Lexus/Toyota/Scion did with their vehicle. I bought the paper NCF for the Supra in 1997, and it's been an invaluable resource over the years.
Old 07-21-12, 10:05 AM
faeflora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This applies to pre-'11 cars only right?
Old 07-21-12, 11:27 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by faeflora
This applies to pre-'11 cars only right?
I do not see anywhere in 2011 where the bushing was changed so I think its across the whole platform.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Product Front F Bushing offering and eye opening video inside.