IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

would this tire appearance be dangerous at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 01:54 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would this tire appearance be dangerous at the track?

Hey guys,
I need your urgent help/opinion.... I bought these Michelin PSS's 2 months ago and have 2 track days and only 2K miles on them.... I was checking the car out before another track day tomorrow and I was checking tire pressures and was going to air up the front right tire to 38psi (others at 36) due to more left turns on the track and to help decrease outside tire wear on the front right tire.... but noticed these two small spots where the rubber seems to have worn down to a lower layer.... the rest of the tire tread/wear is fine except the outer most 2-3"
1.) is it dangerous to track the car (or to use for agressive DD) with this tire at this point?
2.) would it be better if i swapped sides between the front tires to try and even out the wear?
3.) would it be better to try and "max out" my negative camber in the front to help reduce outside wear and increase handling....?

guess I'll be looking into dedicated R Comp tires and maybe wheels for the track at this point if I'm going to go through MPSS's this quick...
Attached Thumbnails would this tire appearance be dangerous at the track?-photo.jpg  
Old 06-12-12, 02:08 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the times I've been at the track they do a pretty good tire inspection, basically for your safety and the others on the track with you. From the looks of the tire it doesn't seem that bad, I know I've driven on way worse, but for the person who is doing the inspection he may not take a chance. Difficult to say.
Old 06-12-12, 02:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I'd plan on a new tire right after this weekend. How far is the track from home if you cord the tire?
Old 06-12-12, 02:56 PM
LBmtb
Driver

Worst case scenario .... does the track you're going to have a tire shop?
Old 06-12-12, 04:16 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd plan on a new tire right after this weekend. How far is the track from home if you cord the tire?
about an hour drive....
thx for the input.... I went ahead and swapped the fronts from Right to left to help it out a bit.... guess I'll be spending some more $$ soon on replacement(s) and R comps...

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Worst case scenario .... does the track you're going to have a tire shop?
nope...
Old 06-14-12, 05:03 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

update: .........

So here's a couple of pics of my tires after four 20min sessions at the track yesterday..... I'd say they're pretty much shot...... Definitely getting seperate track wheels/tires now...
Attached Thumbnails would this tire appearance be dangerous at the track?-corded-tire-1.jpg   would this tire appearance be dangerous at the track?-corded-tire-2.jpg  
Old 06-14-12, 05:12 PM
mercurymet
Driver

geez, 2k miles and looking like that. I didn't realize that tracking wore tires down that fast.
Old 06-14-12, 05:15 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

only cause it's HEAVY!!! a guy at the track was saying he gets 10K miles on his Lotus's tires including about 15-20 track days on a SINGLE SET of tires!!
Old 06-19-12, 06:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, you don't have enough toe out. There's lots of tread left, just not at the side where the lack of toe out killed it.

I got 30k miles out of my Bridgestones with 3 track weekends on them. If your alignment had been right, I doubt you'd be looking at new tires right now.
Old 06-19-12, 08:54 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, you don't have enough toe out. There's lots of tread left, just not at the side where the lack of toe out killed it.

I got 30k miles out of my Bridgestones with 3 track weekends on them. If your alignment had been right, I doubt you'd be looking at new tires right now.
Well my toe was set to as close to zero as whats discussed in your alignment thread. I had my car aligned yesterday to make sure it hadn't come out of alignment since about 9 months ago and 5 track days...to make sure there wasn't a toe issue causing the excessive outside wear. Pre adjustment front toe was -0.01 left and -0.02 right. They adjusted it to 0.00 left and +0.01 right...
Old 06-19-12, 09:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

My cords were showing but on the opposite side... Inside tire threads.. (lowered on coilovers)..

I still managed approx. 32K miles out of all 4 tires.. Fronts could have gone much longer with a better toe dialed in.. ( i think)

Rears were worn out nice & evenly down to the wear bars..

~ Joe Z
Old 06-20-12, 11:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Well my toe was set to as close to zero as whats discussed in your alignment thread. I had my car aligned yesterday to make sure it hadn't come out of alignment since about 9 months ago and 5 track days...to make sure there wasn't a toe issue causing the excessive outside wear. Pre adjustment front toe was -0.01 left and -0.02 right. They adjusted it to 0.00 left and +0.01 right...
The alignment thread is about a street alignment, not a track alignment. You need toe out at the track, and toe in for the street. You can't have both without turning wrenches.
Old 06-21-12, 04:25 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

How much toe out in front (also you recs for the rear) would you reccomend for a track setup and how much for a good compromise between street/track?
Old 06-21-12, 06:42 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha I just gotnbacknfrom poconoc north track and deffinatly used halfthe tire in the rear on brand new nt05... 3 hours on a dry track ripen. I was slamming on the brakes at 130 all day. Those carbo tech pads are wicked. I'm glad I went xp12/10
Old 06-21-12, 01:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
How much toe out in front (also you recs for the rear) would you reccomend for a track setup and how much for a good compromise between street/track?
There's doesn't seem to be a good compromise. There's setting for the street for maximum tire life, and there's a setting for the track for maximum tire life under very different conditions.

Quick Reply: would this tire appearance be dangerous at the track?