IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area

Old 06-21-12, 09:33 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha I tried to get brakes out of mine also but the damn tech was like i know the problem and the son of a gun actually did!
Old 06-29-12, 01:53 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Earlier build 08 ISF here and picked up the car from the dealer this morning after getting the driver rear side axle replaced. No issue so far. Makes me wonder why only the driver side (others and myself) is affected....
Old 07-03-12, 04:28 PM
Hairy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys , got mine back last week after sharing this link with lexus dealers, my click is goooone. it was the loose nut around the hub that had to be torqued due to too much power and twisting ,so hope this is it for that problem .. seems like its same noise slighty different problems with each isf ???
Old 01-14-15, 01:30 PM
Jamakan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Revived.

I have this same problem. Took it to the dealer. They 'said' they retorqued everything and the sound is still there. They said for them to get deep into it I HAVE to put the car back to stock. That's suspension and wheels!!! My car is also painted matte white and was in an accident before. Front and rear fender. Doesn't look like I can win this one. What do you guys think?? I have the clicking on both sides. Fml.
Old 01-15-15, 07:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamakan
I have this same problem. Took it to the dealer. They 'said' they retorqued everything and the sound is still there. They said for them to get deep into it I HAVE to put the car back to stock. That's suspension and wheels!!! My car is also painted matte white and was in an accident before. Front and rear fender. Doesn't look like I can win this one. What do you guys think?? I have the clicking on both sides. Fml.
Find someone with a big enough torque wrench, buy two new axle nuts, and install them to specification. If it does not solve the issue, then the dealer has a reasonable point - it could be a whole lot of things, especially with the car having been in an accident. Once you get past the axle nuts, everything gets very expensive and very quickly.
Old 09-25-16, 09:46 PM
Esader
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to you guys posting this issue I caught the problem before my 70,000 mile power train ran out. I started hearing the same metallic clicking coming from the rear left side area. I dismissed it as a minor thing, thinking it was probably the brakes needing adjustment or the hardware kit coming loose. When I read this thread, I got concerned and immediately scheduled an appointment with Lexus of San Diego. They were great, they listened to my concerns and brought the shop foreman to do a ride along with me. He immediately heard the noise and said it sounded like the axle. So I left my car and they confirmed that the rear left axle had excessive play. They special ordered me a new one and in about 3 days it was done. No more noise! Also, in the meantime I had a chance to test drive the IS200t they gave me as a loaner, nice car but turbo lags and power seems insufficient for the weight of the vehicle.
Old 09-26-16, 05:55 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Same problem here, but it only happens in reverse (that I notice). I'll put it in reverse, travel about 5 feet then "CLICK" - like two lead rods smacking into one another. It's loud too. Going to get it checked out within the next month & will post back.
Old 09-26-16, 10:44 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sometimes get this on a cold start when I pull out of the garage, thought it was exhaust rubbing since I have aftermarket, will this cause failures in the future or does it just make annoying noises?
Old 09-26-16, 12:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Eventually something will fail, but it will all depend on how you drive. It's easy enough to remove the axle, grease the splines and retighten the axle nut. This is a lot like forgetting to grease the input shaft splines on a manual transmission when you put in a new clutch. It will quiet for a little bit, but will start making ugly sounds shortly. It takes a long time to really hurt things, but the noise will drive you nuts first.
Old 09-27-16, 07:34 AM
tronim
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Coincidentally, I've started to hear this noise around a few weeks ago....and the funny thing is that I experienced pretty much almost the same experience in my old S2000.
Here's a link to the thread on S2Ki discussing this issue:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/9298...hl__torque+nut

I fixed the issue on my S2000 by purchasing two new axle nuts, and appropriate sized socket, then assembling a large wrench by using a large breaker bar, topped with the large upper handle of my floor jack. I gently torqued those nuts to what felt like a bit more pressure than the factory recommended torque settings and staked the nut closed...noise went away!

I had one of my rear bearings replaced a few months ago, which could be why I am now hearing this click/crunch noise, which may have been due to the installer not torquing the axle nut tight enough...so I gather pretty soon when I get sick enough of this noise and get a chance, I'll take a closer look and see if this will need to be done to that axle nut on this new bearing.
Old 09-27-16, 08:21 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a light clicking sound from the rear that I only hear with the windows down while moving in an enclosed space (tunnel, parking garage underpass).

I have mentioned it to the dealer on my last 2 visits and both times they said it was completely normal due to the design of the rear brakes.

This is exactly what they said: "CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A CLICKING SOUND COMING FROM THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE (ASK ME) ~|~ROAD TESTED VEHICLE, COULD NOT DUPLICATE CONCERN. PUT VEHICLE ON THE LIFT AND SIMULATED DRIVING, NOISE NORMAL FROM CROSS DRILLED ROTOR/BRAKE PAD DESIGN. ~|~CLEANED REAR ROTOR/SHOES, AND PADS. RE ADJUSTED PARKING BRAK E."

Last edited by Vervish; 09-27-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-27-16, 08:59 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i have the same issue and i thought it was my brakes at 1st but after reading all of this i am pretty sure it's my axle or axle nuts like lobuxracer and tronim mentioned. i will have to give that a try once i get my car back from the dealer. does anyone have a link to the axle nuts or part number? thanks
Old 09-27-16, 12:32 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It is Lexus part number 9017726001 Rear axle nut.
Old 09-27-16, 12:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Part number 90177-26001

Torque: 290 N·m, 2957 kgf·cm, 214ft·lbf

Old 09-27-16, 12:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a similar noise after my brakes were installed by it went away once I bedded the brakes in. Will keep an ear out for this. So now I am looking out for cracked headers and bad axles........ great ! I love this car but if she gives me **** Im OUT !!

The GT350s are already all at sticker or even a hair less. Got an email this morning that one was recently reduced from 73k to 59k !Its a Ford so the value will drop like a falling stone. Might wait for a used one in a year

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area