Old 11-30-11, 10:03 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Me Old I'm just a 73 year old kid

Lou
Your only as old as you feel

My point was the car IS loud, but its not like a 2 liter engine with a couple of fart cans on it. It's not trying to be something it's not.
Old 11-30-11, 10:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Your only as old as you feel

My point was the car IS loud, but its not like a 2 liter engine with a couple of fart cans on it. It's not trying to be something it's not.
Don't get me started on fart cans

No, an uncorked exhaust is certainly not making it sound like something it's not. I've been modifying exhausts since my first car, a 1950 Mercury that I acquired in 1957. BTW, I luv the sound of a NASCAR V8, it makes the hair on the hair on the back of my neck stand up

My modified exhaust, with my headers and MagnaFlow cats is the purfect sound, IMHO, for a street driven car. I get some cabin noise and the idle sounds like a volcano trying to escape when I'm behind the wheel. And my Dyno numbers are pretty good.

Lou
Old 11-30-11, 10:46 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
The Borla exhaust is the quietest and least droning true-dual aftermarket exhaust I know of for the IS-F with exception to those running stock mufflers with dual-piping. I haven't heard the new ISSForged DES street exhaust yet and that may be even quieter, but I can tell you from experience that both the PTS JoeZ and non-DES versions of the ISSForged exhaust are much louder and drone especially when combined with headers.

As for your car sounding like a truck, it could be one of two things. You either had an exhaust leak or you weren't used to something louder. I agree though that COLD start-ups are still kinda loud, but in a good way and something typical of any aftermarket exhaust system.
Yeah I suspect the truck noise may be due to a small leak and not being used to the noise. Couldn't wait till next Friday to have cats welded in. The commute with noise and gas smell were intolerable in stop and go traffic. Was pacing trucks to blend in.

What's with these exhaust getting more quiet over time? more compliant fibers to reduce gas velocity? Any how, I may still have cats welded and give it another shot as I've become pretty skilled at swapping exhausts on just 2 rear jack stands.
Old 11-30-11, 10:47 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

How bad is the gas smell for you guys running PPE/Sikky Headers and stock exhaust?

On my LS2 GTO, I had catless long tube headers and full exhaust and (obviously) the car smelled like raw gas even after being tuned. It was fun if you weren't driving the car all the time, but daily driving you would stink like gas....
Old 11-30-11, 10:59 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
How bad is the gas smell for you guys running PPE/Sikky Headers and stock exhaust?

On my LS2 GTO, I had catless long tube headers and full exhaust and (obviously) the car smelled like raw gas even after being tuned. It was fun if you weren't driving the car all the time, but daily driving you would stink like gas....
Yeah, I smelled like I just got off a tractor after mowing a huge lawn
Old 11-30-11, 11:14 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz

Even though I never ran this setup, the stock exhaust would still leave you with one set of cats. I would assume that this would eliminate gas smell.
Old 11-30-11, 11:32 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Even though I never ran this setup, the stock exhaust would still leave you with one set of cats. I would assume that this would eliminate gas smell.
That would be my assumption as well...although I think the cats have to be at a certain temperature to work correctly...and usually cold starts are when the motor is the most rich (as I understand it) so one might still have the issue.
Old 11-30-11, 12:05 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Yeah with the headers and stock exhaust, there is no gas smell. The stock secondary cats looks larger than a lot of the high flow after market cats.

I wonder how the borla axle back with stock mid pipe and secondary cats along with headers perform. That squashed section along the back is eliminated with an axle back.
Old 11-30-11, 02:19 PM
suture
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info yet again. I called the guy who wants to put in my system. He was thinking Sikky headers and STR exhaust. I don't know about STR exhausts so I will have to look into this exhaust system.

I mentioned to him that I was thinking of changing out the exhaust only at this point, probably Borla exhaust. He thought there could be some duplicative work that might need to be done in that he would have to cut into the exhaust system when he puts in the headers (If I do this I am thinking the PPE headers...like the workmanship) in order to put in two catalytic converters (one on each side??). He brought up O2 sensors and by this time he had lost me.....not his fault.

So, here is what I am thinking. I feel like I am wandering through the dark and the only thing I really know is what I have learned here. I hate bothering you all with my ignorance so I wanted to see if anyone could suggest a source (book, online source, etc...) where I could read about the mechanics and all that is involved with replacing an OEM exhaust system with aftermarket products? I think I need a better overall understanding of what is involved so I can make a good decision. If anyone has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it...

Cayman thanks for the nice diagram of HP vs exhaust volume, this really gives me a good understanding of what each change/upgrade does. ERDoc, I worked in ER for 4 years in the Twin Cities and then moved back to Atlanta and own a primary care practice and a cosmetic practice. Laser, hair removal, Botox, fillers, etc... Adding the cosmetic practice has help minimize the pain from the downturn in reimbursement on the PCP side. I am in the midst of possibly selling my practice to one of the local hospitals though....future is uncertain?? Heaven knows I wouldn't make it as a mechanic....lol.. Anyway, thank you to everyone on here....I know this is mundane and frivolous to most of you....just know I have really enjoyed learning about all of this..
Old 11-30-11, 03:27 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by suture
Thanks for the info yet again. I called the guy who wants to put in my system. He was thinking Sikky headers and STR exhaust. I don't know about STR exhausts so I will have to look into this exhaust system.

I mentioned to him that I was thinking of changing out the exhaust only at this point, probably Borla exhaust. He thought there could be some duplicative work that might need to be done in that he would have to cut into the exhaust system when he puts in the headers (If I do this I am thinking the PPE headers...like the workmanship) in order to put in two catalytic converters (one on each side??). He brought up O2 sensors and by this time he had lost me.....not his fault.

So, here is what I am thinking. I feel like I am wandering through the dark and the only thing I really know is what I have learned here. I hate bothering you all with my ignorance so I wanted to see if anyone could suggest a source (book, online source, etc...) where I could read about the mechanics and all that is involved with replacing an OEM exhaust system with aftermarket products? I think I need a better overall understanding of what is involved so I can make a good decision. If anyone has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it...

Cayman thanks for the nice diagram of HP vs exhaust volume, this really gives me a good understanding of what each change/upgrade does. ERDoc, I worked in ER for 4 years in the Twin Cities and then moved back to Atlanta and own a primary care practice and a cosmetic practice. Laser, hair removal, Botox, fillers, etc... Adding the cosmetic practice has help minimize the pain from the downturn in reimbursement on the PCP side. I am in the midst of possibly selling my practice to one of the local hospitals though....future is uncertain?? Heaven knows I wouldn't make it as a mechanic....lol.. Anyway, thank you to everyone on here....I know this is mundane and frivolous to most of you....just know I have really enjoyed learning about all of this..

I'm a newbie as well and still don't have much of a clue, so don't worry about it.. That's what forums like this are for. I don't know of any good book or website for basic car knowledge, sorry. But I'm interested if you find one, so pass the link to me if you find one!
I haven't heard of ANYBODY with an SRT exhaust, So I can't comment on this except to say why be the guinnea pig?? I'd stick with what people on here have installed (joe z, iss, or borla, or custom setup such as lowrider's) as you can learn about their experience with the product. If I could do it over again at this stage, I'd get the new DES ISS Exhaust over the joe z (although I'm very happy with the joe z) as it sounds like it is a more livable exhaust loudness and drone wise...
I also echo what lowrider says about PPE over sikky in terms of quality craftsmanship... Those things are BEAUTIFUL!!! Also the cust service from Paul at PPE is outstanding!!! I had many phone conversations with him trying to resolve my CEL problem after install (due to a crappy shop that did a poorly executed install..... Make sure you trust the installer if you do the headers. )
As far as duplicate work if installing exhaust first, then the headers at a later date this is true... I learned the hard way and it cost me several hundred dollars because of it. (they have to remove the exhaust to weld in the cats and to relocate the secondary O2 sensors.... Then reinstall it). So you would be paying for that labor twice unless you did all at once.
Old 11-30-11, 03:27 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought about searching through youtube? It will help you get an idea of how each system sounds and what you're willing to put up with. Another idea I would suggest is getting some db numbers from the brands you're looking into so you can have a better idea of what to expect interior and exterior wise. Keep in mind that what might sound good to you might not sound good to another. Do a little more research and try using youtube for audio samples. That's the best advice I can give you without recommending any specific brand. Also look into the emissions regulations in your state. Wouldn't be good to have to remove headers to pass inspection.

If you need anything quoted let us know.
Old 11-30-11, 05:44 PM
suture
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ERDoc, I really like hearing what various people on here have experienced with the various brands and products they have used. This is so much better than listening to a sales pitch from a biased salesman.

I have a pretty good idea of the individual components that are involved with this whole exhaust/header situation. I think I am looking for something (book, online, etc...) to put it all together for me. I was not a big Utube guy but I have been going there quite a bit now and have found the information and videos to be very interesting....and even humorous at times. This is where I found the Joe Z exhaust and PPE headers together and the sound was really nice. But, it is hard to really get a good idea of the exhaust volume/level on video. I don't mind a bump in exhaust volume because Lexus does a nice job with noise isolation in all of their vehicles. I am coming from the LS so the ISF is a little louder....but not bad. As someone said earlier...if the "noise" is sweet then it is not necessarily a bad thing. I suppose you just have to decide what it is you are looking for in your vehicle.

ERDoc, you mentioned a DES ISS exhaust. Do you know how this compares to the Borla exhaust (assuming both have PPE headers)? I'll go on Utube and see if I can find this set up. Is there a particular reason you like the DES exhaust? Thanks again for your help.....you may be new on here but I think you can see I am a big time rookie...lol.

Ideally, I would like to put in both headers and an exhaust. I'm wondering if someone on here has used the PPE headers and a Borla exhaust.....was the increase in exhaust noise quite significant or just moderate? If it is only a moderate increase in exhaust volume I would like to go that route.
Old 11-30-11, 05:58 PM
suture
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the info and I will definitely go to your website this evening. I do have someone I have been working with here in Atlanta but I am not set on using this shop by any means. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I am also looking to add/change some other parts of my ISF. I will be looking for tires/rims after I get the exhaust situation settled. I am not sure about changing or adding any body parts on the car? How much I ultimately do to the car depends on how serious my midlife crisis appears to be, how deep I can reach into my pocket book and lastly, how good I am at reassuring my significant other that all these changes are being made simply to improve gas mileage... Anyway, I'll see what you guys have and may get in touch with you...thanks again.
Old 11-30-11, 06:05 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Here's the thread regarding the ISS DES exhaust...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...et-review.html

Quick Reply: Headers and exhaust systems