IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ejecting navigation disc without cutting power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 06:40 AM
Legato
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ejecting navigation disc without cutting power?

Does anyone know if this is possible?

My ISF is imported from the US, but has a European map DVD. It worked when I bought the car, but after cutting the power it does not. I get a "Program can not be read, contact dealer" message. I´ve heard I need to install the software from the US-disc and then change to the European disc.

I´ve read about the "press top left and top right" and the "tap top left, bottom left" methods for ejecting the DVD, but it seems both these methods require cutting the power? I imagine this will work to get my US-disc in, but after reading the software I assume I need to change discs without cutting the power?
Old 11-26-11, 08:18 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't see why this would be a problem...I have upgraded my disc to a newer version (because you need power to eject the disc), by simply ejecting and installing the upgraded disc or discs you require. You are simply removing the access panel to gain entry to the map disc.

The Lexus manual even states you need to have the vehicle in ACC key position to change the map...so I'm not sure where you got the idea to kill the power?

Here is a link on how to change the map disc.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...8isfnav/10.pdf

Goto page 305
Old 11-26-11, 09:25 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Legato
Does anyone know if this is possible?

My ISF is imported from the US, but has a European map DVD. It worked when I bought the car, but after cutting the power it does not. I get a "Program can not be read, contact dealer" message. I´ve heard I need to install the software from the US-disc and then change to the European disc.

I´ve read about the "press top left and top right" and the "tap top left, bottom left" methods for ejecting the DVD, but it seems both these methods require cutting the power? I imagine this will work to get my US-disc in, but after reading the software I assume I need to change discs without cutting the power?
on LS600h its pressing "dest" ant then "right top" "left bottom" on screen and it ejects.
Old 11-26-11, 09:47 AM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by digger08
I can't see why this would be a problem...I have upgraded my disc to a newer version (because you need power to eject the disc), by simply ejecting and installing the upgraded disc or discs you require. You are simply removing the access panel to gain entry to the map disc.

The Lexus manual even states you need to have the vehicle in ACC key position to change the map...so I'm not sure where you got the idea to kill the power?

Here is a link on how to change the map disc.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...8isfnav/10.pdf

Goto page 305
Can´t reach that screen...When pushing the "Menu" button I get the "program can´t be read" screen...

The cutting of power is supposedly required to "reset" the system after which the DVD can supposedly be ejected without removing the front panel. Can´t get it to work though
Old 11-26-11, 09:48 AM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by Audriuss
on LS600h its pressing "dest" ant then "right top" "left bottom" on screen and it ejects.
Will try that as well...

Have you tried it yourself? Did you disconnect power first? If not, in what mode did you do this (Aux-power? Any particular screen showing?).
Old 11-26-11, 11:34 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Will try that as well...

Have you tried it yourself? Did you disconnect power first? If not, in what mode did you do this (Aux-power? Any particular screen showing?).
OK - sorry did not understand you need a re-boot.....

Is the memory settings/ values not held in the system/ on-board by capacitors?
Old 11-26-11, 11:49 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Can´t reach that screen...When pushing the "Menu" button I get the "program can´t be read" screen...

The cutting of power is supposedly required to "reset" the system after which the DVD can supposedly be ejected without removing the front panel. Can´t get it to work though
Just to be clear...

You NEED to remove the clock panel in order to eject and/or insert the NAV DVD...

Joe Z
Old 11-28-11, 10:42 AM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just to be clear...

You NEED to remove the clock panel in order to eject and/or insert the NAV DVD...

Joe Z
Now I am confused... Are you saying the different "tap screen" methods are options for those of us who can´t reach the "eject screen"? Either way clock panel needs removal?
Old 11-28-11, 11:42 AM
madastep
Pole Position

Now I am confused... Are you saying the different "tap screen" methods are options for those of us who can´t reach the "eject screen"? Either way clock panel needs removal?
Yes, the DVD is not in the same CD changer that your car uses for it's CD's it's in a whole separate DVD system behind the clock, the tools to remove the clock come with the car in your tool bag, it's two little icepicky things that fit in those tiny holes in the dash by the clock piece. There should be a thread with pics on how to do it, because i updated my own disk thanks two some friends *wink* .
Old 11-28-11, 04:21 PM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by madastep
Yes, the DVD is not in the same CD changer that your car uses for it's CD's it's in a whole separate DVD system behind the clock, the tools to remove the clock come with the car in your tool bag, it's two little icepicky things that fit in those tiny holes in the dash by the clock piece. There should be a thread with pics on how to do it, because i updated my own disk thanks two some friends *wink* .
Ahh, that explains a lot. Thanks!
Old 12-10-11, 05:25 AM
Legato
Driver

Finally got this done and it eventually took less than 15-minutes. Very happy now. Thanks for the help...

And for others having the same problem here is the solution:

I have a US ISF running a European map DVD.

After having the power disconnected once my navigation would not work. I got a message on my screen saying: "A program cannot be read. Please consult do a dealer"

I contacted Lexus and they told me I needed the US-navigation disc to "reset" the program. I called the previous owner and he was kind enough to send me the disc.

These were the steps:
  1. Remove the clock panel. This was actually easy. Use the "pins" in from the tools in the trunk. Insert them ALL the way in. They have to be inserted from "inside out". Do NOT use a screwdriver for the warning hazard button, this is unnecessary and just risks scratching your display. All you need to do after putting the pins correctly and fully into the holes is to pull the unit out holding both pins.
  2. Eject the European-DVD. Either from the Menu -> Eject DVD option or in my case from the "A program cannot be read"-screen by TAPPING the top left and top right corner repeadeadly.
  3. Insert US-DVD. Insert the US-DVD into the slot, power on the ignition and let the navigation unit load the software from your US-navigation disc.
  4. Eject the US-DVD. Use the Menu -> Eject option.
  5. Insert the European-DVD again. It will automatically load your new maps and your navigation system will now be functional with European maps!
  6. Reinsert the clock panel. Very easily done, just "click" it into place.
Old 04-29-13, 08:31 AM
dumardus
Driver School Candidate

Finally got this done and it eventually took less than 15-minutes. Very happy now. Thanks for the help...

And for others having the same problem here is the solution:

I have a US ISF running a European map DVD.

After having the power disconnected once my navigation would not work. I got a message on my screen saying: "A program cannot be read. Please consult do a dealer"

I contacted Lexus and they told me I needed the US-navigation disc to "reset" the program. I called the previous owner and he was kind enough to send me the disc.

These were the steps:
  1. Remove the clock panel. This was actually easy. Use the "pins" in from the tools in the trunk. Insert them ALL the way in. They have to be inserted from "inside out". Do NOT use a screwdriver for the warning hazard button, this is unnecessary and just risks scratching your display. All you need to do after putting the pins correctly and fully into the holes is to pull the unit out holding both pins.
  2. Eject the European-DVD. Either from the Menu -> Eject DVD option or in my case from the "A program cannot be read"-screen by TAPPING the top left and top right corner repeadeadly.
  3. Insert US-DVD. Insert the US-DVD into the slot, power on the ignition and let the navigation unit load the software from your US-navigation disc.
  4. Eject the US-DVD. Use the Menu -> Eject option.
  5. Insert the European-DVD again. It will automatically load your new maps and your navigation system will now be functional with European maps!
  6. Reinsert the clock panel. Very easily done, just "click" it into place.
Exactly same a problem. I have a US ISF running a European map DVD. I did all these steps but without success..... Next step will be blow off out the player with some compressed air, I have heard dust gather in these and cause this issue. What do u think? Is it good idea? Any helps will be greatly apperciated!!
Old 04-29-13, 09:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I've never heard of dust being a problem in the Gen V navigation. I've had a Lexus with Gen V nav since 2006. Sure you can try it, but where is it failing now? You have the clock removed and you're tapping top right and top left while in ACC or with engine running (car turned on) and the disc won't eject?
Old 04-29-13, 11:28 AM
dumardus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've never heard of dust being a problem in the Gen V navigation. I've had a Lexus with Gen V nav since 2006. Sure you can try it, but where is it failing now? You have the clock removed and you're tapping top right and top left while in ACC or with engine running (car turned on) and the disc won't eject?
No, I did these steps
1 Remove the clock panel......OK
2.Eject the European-DVD - in my case because the "A program cannot be read"-screen by TAPPING the top left and top right corner repeadeadly.......OK
3.Insert US-DVD....(disk is original)

but my navigation unit didnt load the software from US-navigation disc.
Still On nav. screan is "A program cannot be read......"So I put US nav. disk in laptop and all disk files looks ok...

Last edited by dumardus; 04-29-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 12:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Is it the real deal or is it an Internet download? The DVD reader might have failed, but it's not at all common. It's not possible to determine if the files are good with a laptop unless you have navigation software development tools. I've done enough tinkering with the nav DVDs (making hybrids) to know you can't predict whether it will work or not just by looking at file attributes.

Quick Reply: Ejecting navigation disc without cutting power?