IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bad habits AFTER driving in Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 12:37 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad habits AFTER driving in Manual Mode

ever since i got my ISS forged Exhaust, i have gone from driving 90% of the time in Auto-mode to driving 90% of the time in Manual Mode. This is mainly due to the sound of the exhaust making it way to easy to hear it go through all 8 gears, even on a low speed limit road. I have no idea why this car thinks it needs to be in 8th gear at 35 mph when it should be in 3rd or 4th at the most, but it is what it is. So now i drive in Manual mode most of the time just to have a little control of the RPM and the sounds created as a result.

even though i roll in M mode usually now, sometimes when i am being lazy drinking coffee on the way to work, i just leave it in Auto mode and drive. I catch myself trying to shift out of habit and throwing it into neutral (using the stick not the paddles) sending my RPM's through the roof and anyone near me looking (so it seems anyway). Kinda embarrasing I do this all the time now. Does anyone else who went from auto to manual have this habit? I probably do it once every other day lol...i cant be the only one
Old 08-25-11, 12:46 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meade916
ever since i got my ISS forged Exhaust, i have gone from driving 90% of the time in Auto-mode to driving 90% of the time in Manual Mode. This is mainly due to the sound of the exhaust making it way to easy to hear it go through all 8 gears, even on a low speed limit road. I have no idea why this car thinks it needs to be in 8th gear at 35 mph when it should be in 3rd or 4th at the most, but it is what it is. So now i drive in Manual mode most of the time just to have a little control of the RPM and the sounds created as a result.

even though i roll in M mode usually now, sometimes when i am being lazy drinking coffee on the way to work, i just leave it in Auto mode and drive. I catch myself trying to shift out of habit and throwing it into neutral (using the stick not the paddles) sending my RPM's through the roof and anyone near me looking (so it seems anyway). Kinda embarrasing I do this all the time now. Does anyone else who went from auto to manual have this habit? I probably do it once every other day lol...i cant be the only one
Been there done that. It's even more fun when you forget that your in manual after you've stopped at a stop light. I've taken off a time or two and hit the redline in 1st gear.... talk about getting some stares from the cars around you.

The 8th gear thing at 40 mph is a pain in the butt.
Old 08-25-11, 12:57 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

hahah i did the first gear thing too, im like "whens this old model T gonna shift".......and i realized im not in Auto mode lol - DUHHHHHHH!!
Old 08-25-11, 01:46 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

oh man ive done that numerous times, after switching to my Joe Z exhaust I also switched to 95% manual mode, having it shift gears every 2500 rpms is just too annoying to listen too. Rather be in control of the symphony which is our v8's!
Old 08-25-11, 02:04 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Even before my Joe Z exhaust, I was driving in M + sport mode all the time. The exhaust did make it sound A LOT better though.
Old 08-25-11, 02:45 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do the same thing in my 2GS. Cant help myself. Exhaust sounds great.
Old 08-25-11, 04:44 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by meade916
I have no idea why this car thinks it needs to be in 8th gear at 35 mph when it should be in 3rd or 4th at the most, but it is what it is.
Originally Posted by J2K
The 8th gear thing at 40 mph is a pain in the butt.
This is all for gas mileage and why the ISF is not slapped with a huge gass guzzler tax like all it's competition (C63, RS4, M3)
Old 08-25-11, 05:06 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd still say I'm 50/50 on the manual mode. This is my first auto car since I was 16 and man it's freaken awesome. Its exactly what I needed coming from cars with 4 puck clutches.
Now that I've modded the exhaust it sounds even better in manual mode...but I still appreciate the wonderful automatic this car has
Old 08-25-11, 05:08 PM
rtr01
Rookie

personally i like putting around in auto, never going above 1600rpm. it still sounds good and it doesnt draw any attention to the fact that my car is mean as %$^#. the burble of the exhaust only hints that it sounds like a lunatic at full throttle. this also helps against meatheads in mustangs trying to race me everytime they get along side. oh wait... no it doesnt, because they try to race everything....
Old 08-29-11, 05:48 AM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rtr01
personally i like putting around in auto, never going above 1600rpm. it still sounds good and it doesnt draw any attention to the fact that my car is mean as %$^#. the burble of the exhaust only hints that it sounds like a lunatic at full throttle. this also helps against meatheads in mustangs trying to race me everytime they get along side. oh wait... no it doesnt, because they try to race everything....
ya me too, when the exhaust was stock. Its 100% different once you change it out....manual is almost mandatory now.
Old 08-29-11, 06:35 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rtr01
Same goes for the guys in SRT-4s too. I hate those cars with a passion.
Old 08-31-11, 06:56 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone who switch from 90% auto mode to 90% manual mode noticed a drop in MPG avg? And if so by how much?
Old 08-31-11, 11:12 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Has anyone who switch from 90% auto mode to 90% manual mode noticed a drop in MPG avg? And if so by how much?
When I had the JoeZ exhaust/Sikky Header combo I too would drive around in manual mode. I could not stand the drone and besides it was just more fun. I was averaging 16-17mpg with the constant spirited driving. I later added RT cats and it removed the majority of the drone so I was comfortable driving around in either manual or automatic mode. My mpg's went up to the 19-20mpg range and I was much happier about that and the fact that the car still sounded great. Now that I have stock exhaust with Sikky headers i'm always averaging at least 23-24mpg being mostly in auto mode.
Old 08-31-11, 01:36 PM
krue92
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
When I had the JoeZ exhaust/Sikky Header combo I too would drive around in manual mode. I could not stand the drone and besides it was just more fun. I was averaging 16-17mpg with the constant spirited driving. I later added RT cats and it removed the majority of the drone so I was comfortable driving around in either manual or automatic mode. My mpg's went up to the 19-20mpg range and I was much happier about that and the fact that the car still sounded great. Now that I have stock exhaust with Sikky headers i'm always averaging at least 23-24mpg being mostly in auto mode.
Why did you go back to the stock exhaust just with the headers? I just ordered the Joe Z Exhaust and am looking forward to installing it. Was it too loud with both exhaust and headers?
Old 08-31-11, 01:52 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had a chance to find out what economy mode give.

Originally Posted by dsg03svt

Quick Reply: Bad habits AFTER driving in Manual Mode