IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A few questions about window tinting...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 01:18 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about window tinting...

I am about to get all of my windows tinted on my ISF. I was told that for best results, the door panels have to be removed. Any input on this? My concern is that the clips may be broken, and rattles may develop due to the removal. I will most likely go with the Formul 1 Pinnacle ceramic window tint 35%. Any other suggestions for any other film of equal or better quality. I was quoted $360.00 for all windows OTD. How is this price, considering the film that is being used?
Old 02-12-10, 06:31 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Why must the door panels be popped? My guy put a rag in the doorlocks that stopped the windows from moving and tinted them. Used Suntek film and it looks great.
Only possibly concern is if they make a cut out for the 3rd brake light or not. Mine didn't but some tinters have.

Also my tinter follows this forum which people post tips and tricks for cars.

Last edited by mdsbrain; 02-12-10 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 08:07 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had all my cars tinted, stripped, retinted darker, etc. etc. and I've never seen them remove the door panels. It could just be a shop preference, have you gotten different quotes from various shops in your area? You're from California and I know a lot of members on here are from there as well and I'm sure they could offer you a connection/another shop to get a quote from. That price seems a little high to me for tint, I had limo put all around with 3M film for half that cost here in Texas.
Old 02-12-10, 08:18 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Back in Dec of '08, I had my F and my wife's ES tinted with Formula One tint. They used The Ultimate Series (I guess this series has been discontinued) on the side windows and The Pinnacle Series on the rear window. I have 38% on the front door windows, 18% on the rear door windows and 15% on the rear window. No door panels need to be removed if the installer knows what he's doing. My price for both vehicles was $453.27, without tax. $468..84, Tax included.

Lou
Old 02-12-10, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

every car is different, it depends on around the tweeter area whether they can squeeze correctly. on my ls460l, they had to pop the top part of the panel to do it right, on my gs they didn't have to do it. i don't know well enough on the is. of course it depends on the shop too
Old 02-12-10, 09:02 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, I've never heard of or had to have the door panels removed on a car to have the windows tinted.

I use 3M Crystalline on my car. It does an excellent job of keeping the car cool in the summer even when the car is sitting in the sun along with blocking out harmful UV rays. It's a bit more expensive than regular tint but works significantly better regular tint.

Here is some more information on it.

http://www.modified.com/tech/sccp_08...ion/index.html

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beT4DCJBL6BVgl
Old 02-12-10, 09:08 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
every car is different, it depends on around the tweeter area whether they can squeeze correctly. on my ls460l, they had to pop the top part of the panel to do it right, on my gs they didn't have to do it. i don't know well enough on the is. of course it depends on the shop too
This matches my experience. The tweeter on the IS was more tricky for my person to do, but he worked with it, and didn't have to remove the door panels at all. Neither were they removed on half a dozen other cars I had referred there.
Old 02-12-10, 09:16 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

When I got my windows tinted last month, the guy only removed the front door panels to accomodate the area of the window that the tweeters block. I have had no issues. I guess it all depends on your installer.
Old 02-12-10, 09:23 AM
weaponX
Driver School Candidate

Maybe slightly off-topic, but since it's about tinting, I have a question with regards to how dark each window should be?

This is more with looks in mind.

Does anybody see a problem with tinting:

Front windows - 50%.

Back windows - 35%.

Or, can you suggest the best possible combo? Not really into very dark tinting.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-10, 10:16 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

The company that tinted my F took the door panels off to do the tint. They ended up breaking the window switch (which they then replaced), cracking the silver carbon fiber trim that surrounds the window switch, and gouging the door panel itself (likely with a screwdriver or something) right where the silver CF trim meets the door panel (trying to pry that piece off the panel). On top of that, a couple of the clips that attach the door panel to the actual door are now broken.

Having said that, I would highly recommend finding a shop that specifically says they will not take the panels off. If they must, and you are patient and mechanically inclined, I would take the panels off yourself before delivering the car to have it tinted.

Just my opinion based on my experience.
Old 02-12-10, 10:17 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Oh, P.S. The company I used came highly recommended by fellow Lexus owners on this forum in Arizona, so it goes to show you that referrals are NOT everything.
Old 02-12-10, 11:51 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Holy moly, I may just leave my windows alone then. What a nightmare with your windows Locke. I live in Central California, and there is only one company in this location that came highly recommended to me. I had the Formula 1 Pinnacle Series ceramic tint on another car, and really liked the quality of the film. I think that the person that performed my last tint is now out of business.
Old 02-12-10, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ISFC6
Holy moly, I may just leave my windows alone then. What a nightmare with your windows Locke. I live in Central California, and there is only one company in this location that came highly recommended to me. I had the Formula 1 Pinnacle Series ceramic tint on another car, and really liked the quality of the film. I think that the person that performed my last tint is now out of business.
well in the end it's about how good the shop in. i brought in my brand new ls460l and i didn't even worry a bit when they said they needed to pop the door panel. i agree, you got have confidence in your shop otherwise it's always a worry
Old 02-12-10, 12:43 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
well in the end it's about how good the shop in. i brought in my brand new ls460l and i didn't even worry a bit when they said they needed to pop the door panel. i agree, you got have confidence in your shop otherwise it's always a worry
You are absolutely correct, but I would not know the results, until the job has been completed, since I have never worked with them before.
Old 02-12-10, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ISFC6
You are absolutely correct, but I would not know the results, until the job has been completed, since I have never worked with them before.
when you say they are highly recommended, who did you hear that from? personal contacts? the shop i brought my ls460l, it was my first time too. but a lot of my personal friends went there and i know they do exotics as well so that helped.

and you can always use a little road trip to socal j/k

Quick Reply: A few questions about window tinting...